Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make stock C5 seats work in autocross.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make stock C5 seats work in autocross.

Since swapping seats is not allowed in Super Stock class in autocross, does anybody have any ideas on how to stop sliding all over the place while driving? Seatcovers? sticky spray? Glue? Help! and Thanks!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Get some household kitchen drawer liner that's nonslip works pretty well.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...uctId=10024143
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Hummm.... I'll give it a try. I guess just lay a sheet of the grippy stuff on the seat and jump in? I would hate to mess up the stock seats but I think I get your idea. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

You could try using the stock seat belt "cinch".
It isn't perfect, but it does hold you in the seat better.

Quite a few people don't know about this.

After you are settled in the seat, at almost desired distance from the wheel:
Move the seat a little bit backward.
Pull on the lap belt... all the way out to the end.
Now, let it go back... it will be "ratcheting" back.
Now, grab hold of the "cinched" belt and PULL firmly further
towards the cinch end. This will cinch it even more.

Now, move the seat forward to where you want it to be.

You are now MUCH MORE "clamped" into the seat with the lap belt.

This works very well for the C5, because the lap belt and the shoulder belt are both fastened to the connector separately.

For the C6, both belts are actually "one"... they are continuous and therefore can move a bit in the connector.... so you can't get quite the same grip for the lap belt separately.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Yikes! That was scary easy. I had some left over tool box liner just like you linked to and cut a piece to fit using a long bungie cord to keep it tight around the top of the seat. It feels great! I'll have to report on this el cheapo seat mod after next event.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
You could try using the stock seat belt "cinch".
It isn't perfect, but it does hold you in the seat better.

Quite a few people don't know about this.

After you are settled in the seat, at almost desired distance from the wheel:
Move the seat a little bit backward.
Pull on the lap belt... all the way out to the end.
Now, let it go back... it will be "ratcheting" back.
Now, grab hold of the "cinched" belt and PULL firmly further
towards the cinch end. This will cinch it even more.

Now, move the seat forward to where you want it to be.

You are now MUCH MORE "clamped" into the seat with the lap belt.

This works very well for the C5, because the lap belt and the shoulder belt are both fastened to the connector separately.

For the C6, both belts are actually "one"... they are continuous and therefore can move a bit in the connector.... so you can't get quite the same grip for the lap belt separately.
If you can run the seat back a little further and cinch the belt you can prettty much lock your butt into place in a C5. I usually get the lap belt tight enough that is painful across the pelvis. I tell people to tighten it by running the seat forward until they feel like the belt is going to cut them in half.

Your upper and lower body will pivot sideways around your pelvis but you will not slide across the seat bottom. Once the car starts to move quickly the shoulder belt locks as well so your forward motion under braking is quite restricted and you can let the belt hold you.

Bill
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Left knee in the speaker, right knee in the dash. Enjoy.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GCMan
Yikes! That was scary easy. I had some left over tool box liner just like you linked to and cut a piece to fit using a long bungie cord to keep it tight around the top of the seat. It feels great! I'll have to report on this el cheapo seat mod after next event.
Just an fyi, it is not legal to attach any such aid to the seat in stock. And while the device can also not be "attached" to the driver, there is nothing prohibiting you from wearing a shirt out of said material.

I just use the factory cinch.

Appendix F
SEAT PADDING (applies to Solo only)
Cushions may be used for the purpose of bringing the driver within
reach of the controls of a vehicle. The word ‘cushion’ means a freestanding pillow, towel, blanket, or similar article consisting of foam
rubber, feathers, or comparable materials.
Such cushions may not be attached either to the vehicle or to the driver’s body. Prohibited means of attachment include, but are not limited to the following: straps, hooks, snaps, loop-type fasteners (e.g. Velcro), adhesives, or similar aids. The intent of this allowance is to enable the driver to more comfortably operate the controls of the vehicle without enhancing the driver seat’s ability to hold the driver in place.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 06-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I installed a harness bar as soon as I bought my Z06, the seats are terrible. 6 point makes it better.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
Just an fyi, it is not legal to attach any such aid to the seat in stock. And while the device can also not be "attached" to the driver, there is nothing prohibiting you from making a complete shirt out of said material.

Appendix F
SEAT PADDING (applies to Solo only)
Cushions may be used for the purpose of bringing the driver within
reach of the controls of a vehicle. The word ‘cushion’ means a freestanding pillow, towel, blanket, or similar article consisting of foam
rubber, feathers, or comparable materials.
Such cushions may not be attached either to the vehicle or to the driver’s body. Prohibited means of attachment include, but are not limited to the following: straps, hooks, snaps, loop-type fasteners (e.g. Velcro), adhesives, or similar aids. The intent of this allowance is to enable the driver to more comfortably operate the controls of the vehicle without enhancing the driver seat’s ability to hold the driver in place.
Oh wow! That's an incredibly dumb rule. Well have fun that's what it's all about.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Oh wow! That's an incredibly dumb rule. Well have fun that's what it's all about.
It came as the result of a person who essentially built a partial race seat out of foam that fit inside the stock seat - picture the shell Grand-am or other endurance teams may use for different size drivers. While the rule may seem dumb to the guy who wants to do the minimum for comfort, you have to remember there are always a few that will push it to the limit.

I drove a Z06 once where the owner cut foam piece to wedge between the driver, door and tunnel. Worked awesome, but to be "legal" they were loose in the car - only held in by the pressure between the driver and where they were wedged - this made me fearful they could come dislodged during a run and cause a bigger problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
It came as the result of a person who essentially built a partial race seat out of foam that fit inside the stock seat - picture the shell Grand-am or other endurance teams may use for different size drivers. While the rule may seem dumb to the guy who wants to do the minimum for comfort, you have to remember there are always a few that will push it to the limit.

I drove a Z06 once where the owner cut foam piece to wedge between the driver, door and tunnel. Worked awesome, but to be "legal" they were loose in the car - only held in by the pressure between the driver and where they were wedged - this made me fearful they could come dislodged during a run and cause a bigger problem.
I did that also with rolled up towels on each side for autocross. It worked perfect and never moved.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it legal to flip the seat foam? I think there are posts in the C5 section that explain how flipping the foam holds you better in the seat.

-- edit --

I found the explanation. It's from another forum so I'm not sure if it's ok to link or not. But basically you pull the cover off the upper seat back. On the sides of the upper seat back are structural supports and the seat foam wraps around these supports. You just tuck the outside flap of the foam inside the structural support.

Here's the link:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/di...upport-108924/

Last edited by efranzen; 06-03-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.racerwholesale.com/produc...roducts_id=195
GF Torso Harness
Adjusts in a snap! The G-Force Racing Gear torso harness is a great way to hold you in your seat so you don't have to use your steering wheel to brace yourself. The quick release belt wraps around the seat and torso to ensure the driver stays in place. This is one of the easiest ways to make cornering easy in your favorite autocross events.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Garick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jason
Left knee in the speaker, right knee in the dash. Enjoy.
lol yes, I never had much of a problem last year but I'm considering some sort of knee protection this year to avoid the cheese grater effect.

Originally Posted by efranzen
Is it legal to flip the seat foam? I think there are posts in the C5 section that explain how flipping the foam holds you better in the seat.
I can't think of a reason that this would be illegal, quite a weenie protest anyway. I guess technically it could fall under the 'if its not specifically allowed you can't do it' rule

Last edited by Garick; 06-03-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Yes, this a really strange rule.

OK , here's a really stupid question. So if I can't REMOVE the OEM seat (from the car) , would it be legal to relocate the stock seat to say the trunk, and then add an after market seat? Yes , I know this is waaaay off the wall but I have seen some really strange stuff in national level CSP cars. I promise no more silly posts but had to ask the question.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I think there is a market here for pants/shirts made of tool-box-liner..........if my dear mother were still alive to sew them up for us.......

Get notified of new replies

To How to make stock C5 seats work in autocross.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 AM
waktasz
Pro

Originally Posted by efranzen

-- edit --

I found the explanation. It's from another forum so I'm not sure if it's ok to link or not. But basically you pull the cover off the upper seat back. On the sides of the upper seat back are structural supports and the seat foam wraps around these supports. You just tuck the outside flap of the foam inside the structural support.

Here's the link:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/di...upport-108924/
I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default seat wedgies

A few years back at Spring Mountain, a guy had measured what he needed for padding on each side. He then cut up some boat seat cushions (closed cell so it does not compress a lot)and had a lady wrap the cushions with one piece of fabric running from the inside of one pad, up and around the first pad continuing across where the seat would be and then up and around the outside of the other pad attaching both ends to the seat portion.The width needed between the pads was pre-measured
This would be placed on the seat with the door side hanging over the edge and after he was seated he would pull the pad up and close the door. It fit very snug and was held in place by the compression created by the door and his body weight in the seat.
I thought it was pretty clever. Of course being a big man I don't need this since I fill up my half of the cockpit.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was going to suggest the CG Lock but it may not be legal and the cinch method is free

I bet there is a "leather conditioner" that would make the seats less slippery as well.

Or, just clean them really well to remove and previously applied slippery substance.

Then whatever else you can do to make them grip you more

I never leave a car very stock so never have ran in a stock class, even if my personal choice in mods made me run in a class I would not be competitive I still do what I want and go have fun in whatever class I end up in

Rick

Quick Reply: How to make stock C5 seats work in autocross.