Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First roadcourse event

Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Default First roadcourse event

I will be attending buttonwillow on the 5th for my first road course event. upon reading all the informaiton the forum has to offer about first timers i have a question about my oil. i run standard 5w30 synthetic castrol, do i need to add anything to the oil when i am going racing like a lucus oil stabilizer or a thicker weight to keep the viscosity?

Any other information would be helpful as well. (BTW i drive a 2001 Z06, with a 228/232 cam if that makes a difference). thankyou
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
I will be attending buttonwillow on the 5th for my first road course event. upon reading all the informaiton the forum has to offer about first timers i have a question about my oil. i run standard 5w30 synthetic castrol, do i need to add anything to the oil when i am going racing like a lucus oil stabilizer or a thicker weight to keep the viscosity?

Any other information would be helpful as well. (BTW i drive a 2001 Z06, with a 228/232 cam if that makes a difference). thankyou
You will find that most here are 100% against oil addetives. For your first event keep an eye on temps as that is the most important at this point. Try to keep below 280 if posible. Some will say lower, point is watch it
and back out if they are on the rise. Do add 1quart over and keep a check of it after each session. I think stock weight 1st time out is ok you will be more focused on learning the car then pushing the car 100%

Last edited by RaleighSS; 06-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
You will find that most here are 100% against oil addetives. For your first event keep an eye on temps as that is the most important at this point. Try to keep below 280 if posible. Some will say lower, point is watch it
and back out if they are on the rise. Do add 1quart over and keep a check of it after each session. I think stock weight 1st time out is ok you will be more focused on learning the car then pushing the car 100%

As a beginner it is hard to say how much oil you might use during the day but I would take a couple of extra quarts along so you can top off the engine if the level on the dipstick drops below the 1 quart extra level. On my 2 C5s and now my C6Z I use about a quart per day when on the track. On the street the consumption isn't even noticeable.

I have been running LS engines in Corvettes since 97 and always use 5W30 Mobil 1. Sometimes I top off with 10W30 if I can't find 5W30 in the store when I go to buy a couple of extra quarts. Just make sure the oil meets GMs spec for Corvettes.

As mentioned above monitor your oil temp. Set the DIC to read oil temp.

Bill
Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ltrain925

I'll be there too. I've got almost 10 years of HPDE experience, several of those in a 2000 Z51. Look for the car in my avatar picture (a C6 now), and park near me and the other Corvettes that should be parking together. We'll guide you through all your first-timer questions, and give you lots of helpful tips. All of us were first-timers once, so we know what you're going through.

By the way, what HP & TQ numbers do you get with that cam?

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-04-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you will be fine with what you got, have fun
Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

i made 399/392 with a really good powerband, i don't have the dyno sheet on my computer but it is in my car i can show you when i get there. i have a garage spot reserved so i should be close to everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To First roadcourse event

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First roadcourse event