Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack Replacement, upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:46 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Steering Rack Replacement, upgrade suggestions

I am losing fluid from the reservoir and the inner tie rod seals are both wet...damn. There were three C5Z's in opposing garage bays at the Glen last Monday, each of us had PS issues.

Anyway, since this job sucks, I was wondering what options I have to make the rack/pump less prone to failure. The best I have come up with is to have TurnOne rebuild the rack and put one of their pumps in there while I am at it. I also hear many suggesting Joe Gibbs PS fluid.

Does it make any sense to either increase the size of the cooler or put a fan on it? I am after reliability, a little extra weight does not bother me.

What are your thoughts/experiences?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would agree, go with the Turn 1 pump and rebuilt rack, also run the fluid level a little lower than full cold (when cold). This will give the fluid a little more room to expand when hot. The T1 guys zip tie rags around the cap to keep fluid from getting all over the place.
I would try that first, then possibly look at a cooler.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got some massive coolers, and I'm going to put some redline syn ps fluid in soon, but my pump leaks around the shaft. I don't think my rack is leaking though.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack Replacement, upgrade suggestions

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Replacement, upgrade suggestions