Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Days, Autocross and LS3's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days, Autocross and LS3's

Hi,

I am an owner of an LS3 z51 vette, amateur of track days. Wondering if I could upgrade tires or suspension to get to the track.

Having read here about the LS3's potential Oiling issues as a race engine, I was wondering if anyone other that proper racers had yet had issues with their LS3's at the track, during track days, HPDE's or autocrosses?

Anyone running 08+ (non Z06) vettes at HPDEs, track days or autocrosses regularly on semi-slic DOT approved tires (i'm thinking Toyo R888 or RA1, Nitto NT01 and such street/track tires) ? Have you had any problem ?

How about a thread to survey or keep a look on this subject ?

Cheers.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

There are several threads out there regarding this topic and others have upgraded their tires with no real issues...but some have! I would not recommend tracking any LS3 in any configuration other than the stock set up. The engine oiling sytem was not designed to handle more than about 1.1 or 1.2 lateral Gs (specifically turning left) and then the bearings starve - kaboom.

There is a reason for the introduction of the LS3 Grand Sport with a factory dry sump. The stock system was good for the street, but I don't recommend tracking it. Do so at your own risk.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Originally Posted by wtknght1
There are several threads out there regarding this topic and others have upgraded their tires with no real issues...but some have! I would not recommend tracking any LS3 in any configuration other than the stock set up. The engine oiling system was not designed to handle more than about 1.1 or 1.2 lateral Gs (specifically turning left) and then the bearings starve - kaboom.

There is a reason for the introduction of the LS3 Grand Sport with a factory dry sump. The stock system was good for the street, but I don't recommend tracking it. Do so at your own risk.
Hi,

Thanks much for providing your insight.

Your thread is well know for putting to light the fact that if you use an LS3 as a race engine in a race car with race suspension and race tires you are heading for troubles.

However a race corvette on race suspension and slick race tires is quite different from a street car on street tires, and as you stated yourself some peoples have been tracking their LS3's on DOT-r street compounds, without problems.

Knowing this, I'm inclined to say that if there is a real big problem with the LS3 in the corvette as a street car doing HPDE on non-slick tire, it would be good to paint a more detailed picture and sort of probe the forum to see how many peoples with stock corvette doing HPDEs and trackdays , not racing, have had issues with their engine.

The GS also has an inch+ more rubber on each corner, wider track, bigger brakes than the previous LS3 coupes and convertibles.

It's well know and documented that the first years of Z06 had issues for example. There is a thread related to that and many testimonies on the forum and videos on youtube of peoples blowing their LS7.

But appart from your very informative race related thread there hasn't been much apparent issues with street / HPDEs LS3s stated in this forum, and I cant seem to find much more.

I'm just trying to probe to see how many peoples have had issues and in what circumstances, if any.

Guys you use your "base" (non dry-sumped) LS3 car for track days, HPDEs or autocrosses, but no race conditions, please post and let us know of you experiences, and see the extent of issue!

personally I like the casual HPDE from time to time. 08 z51 LS3 on stock suspension and street tires. (knock on wood) No issues until now.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

To a point in your original question; I've not heard of anyone having problems with any LSx engine autocrossing. The amount of time spent in a corner isn't long enough for an oil starvation problem to show up.

That said, I do run a half-quart to one quart overfull in my LS1 for my autocrossing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

a ton of the tire, brake pad etc questions can be found in the appropriate section of this sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
To a point in your original question; I've not heard of anyone having problems with any LSx engine autocrossing. The amount of time spent in a corner isn't long enough for an oil starvation problem to show up.

That said, I do run a half-quart to one quart overfull in my LS1 for my autocrossing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
You are right autocross might not stress the oiling system enough to spawn any serious starvation issues...

This might be a Road-course only issue.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zenak
a ton of the tire, brake pad etc questions can be found in the appropriate section of this sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Indeed I am a big fan of this thread, Great job !

I get back to it from time to time to refine my approach and plan next steps.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Kumho XS tires for autocross and like them. I don't trust a pure R-rated tire because I have a 200 mile round trip and rain is alwasy in the forecast. I have not ran an HPDE yet but hope to run 2 this year.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Cadex
Intermediate

I run R888s, PFADT coil overs, 1 qt overfilled 15W-50 for the HPDE events....close to 15 events in total. Keep a close eye on both coolant and oil temps (270F oil is my conservative threshold not to cross). As oil temp climbs, viscosity decreases..thus pressures begin to decrease as well. Some have had no issues pushing to the 300F+ but those poor seals and bearings must be screaming.

Now I hope my reply doesn't jinks me.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 AM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cadex
I run R888s, PFADT coil overs, 1 qt overfilled 15W-50 for the HPDE events....close to 15 events in total. Keep a close eye on both coolant and oil temps (270F oil is my conservative threshold not to cross). As oil temp climbs, viscosity decreases..thus pressures begin to decrease as well. Some have had no issues pushing to the 300F+ but those poor seals and bearings must be screaming.

Now I hope my reply doesn't jinks me.
Yes the high temps are a concern to me too. I will switch to a Z06 oil cooler in the near future, as I got well over 270 oil temp last summer and thought it was a little much for comfort.
This is interesting ! So do you have an LS3 c6 , non grand sport (non dry sumped) ?

Pfadt coilovers and R888 sure must generate more gs than stock. Good to know you arent having problems. What do you think of your R888's. Can I ask you what sizes you run ?

Cheers
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
rag1998
Racer

As the above poster, mine is a LS3 with PFADT Coilovers (tuned to track setting) ran this setting on Nitto Invos for 3 track day events didnt have any problems.

Just switched to R888's & XP8, XP10 pads, ATE blue brake fluid, have some track days coming up on 26th & 27th, hope it performs normally, will report back my results..
Old 06-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Cadex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HeavyRightFooT
Yes the high temps are a concern to me too. I will switch to a Z06 oil cooler in the near future, as I got well over 270 oil temp last summer and thought it was a little much for comfort.
This is interesting ! So do you have an LS3 c6 , non grand sport (non dry sumped) ?

Pfadt coilovers and R888 sure must generate more gs than stock. Good to know you arent having problems. What do you think of your R888's. Can I ask you what sizes you run ?

Cheers
Yes, mine is a non dry sumped 2008 LS3. I do run an aftermarket oil cooler tucked right in between the fog lights. An Accusump is in the plans this coming winter for some insurance. I was skeptical of the R888s at first and of the several claims to run them at higher pressures than typical R compounds. I ran them at 42 psi hot and can confidently state they are fantastic. Shaved 2 seconds and the car felt like it could do more...just need the loose nut behind the steeing wheel to tighten up.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Is it possible to run a baffled pan and eliminate these issues? What is the typical, solid "fix" for LS3s at the track short of a race-proven dry sump system?

Last edited by quick04Z06; 06-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Is it possible to run a baffled pan and eliminate these issues? What is the typical, solid "fix" for LS3s at the track?
The only fix is a dry sump. The GM engineers made a protype oil pan for me and a few others and it helped a little, but engines still blew up. There are several threads on this.

Chevy went with the GS (dry sumped) option for 2010 for a reason. If you plan on tracking the LS3 in anything other than the bone stock configuration, you must use a dry sump. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before it blows up.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Days, Autocross and LS3's

Quick Reply: Track Days, Autocross and LS3's