Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Dry Sump Tank: New Way to Make Space

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default C5 Dry Sump Tank: New Way to Make Space

Gentlemen,

I have been an avid follower of posts placed on this Forum showing different ways to relocate PCMs, batteries, and other components to make room for a Dry Sump Tank in a C5.

Over the winter I had my Z06 repainted and took the time to try a different method to make room for a dry sump tank in the future:

• I already had Lingenfelter Performance Engineering move my battery to the trunk. That left the battery mounting bracket and the location of the PCM as major obsticles.

• The first thing I needed to do was remove the battery bracket. I used a high-speed grinder with a composite disc to cut through the welds on the side of the frame rail.

• After the welds on the side of the frame rail were cut I used the same high-speed grinder to cut the forward most weld on the top of the frame rail and a pry bar to bend the bracket upward so that the remaining three welds fatigued.

• The next two pictures show the battery bracket after it has been cut off the frame rail.

• I then repainted the top and side of the frame rail.

• Next, I obtained a piece of 24" x 4" x .125" 304L stainless steel and bent it into a tight V shape. I attached this piece to the frame rail in the same approximate location as the PCM normally mounts. From there, I ground the plastic mounting feet off the PCM mounting bracket and attached it directly to the other leg of the stainless steel piece. Finally, I took the electrical component box that normally attaches to the outside of the PCM mount and mounted it between the cooling fins on the inside of the PCM.

• The final two pictures show the space that has been opened up by moving the battery, battery bracket, and PCM.

Now I am ready for a Stef's Fabrication custom dry sump tank.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure if that's going to leave you with enough space for the tank or not. I guess it depends on your tank. This is a Peterson tank with an offset fill.

I ended up putting the ECM in the cockpit mounted to the roll bar crossover tube. There was enough extra wire and I just used a couple of rearview mirror mounts to bolt it to the cage.

I was suprised how easy it went it, everyone makes it seem like such a big deal. You just have to plan ahead a little.

Tank mounted

Mounted and plumbed
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Not sure if that's going to leave you with enough space for the tank or not. I guess it depends on your tank. This is a Peterson tank with an offset fill.

I ended up putting the ECM in the cockpit mounted to the roll bar crossover tube. There was enough extra wire and I just used a couple of rearview mirror mounts to bolt it to the cage.

I was suprised how easy it went it, everyone makes it seem like such a big deal. You just have to plan ahead a little.

Tank mounted

Mounted and plumbed

That's the nice part about a Stef's Fabrication tank. They don't have to be round like a Peterson's.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Dry Sump Tank: New Way to Make Space

Quick Reply: C5 Dry Sump Tank: New Way to Make Space