Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires and an HPDE soon. Firehawk Indy 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires and an HPDE soon. Firehawk Indy 500

Here are the tires on my car so you know which ones I am talking about.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...comp-grey.html

They are the new Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s.

I had a couple of questions about new tires and HPDEs. What is a good break in period for tires miles-wise before you take them to the track. This is my daily driver set of tires as well so they will get daily use easy couple thousand before the mid July event here in Tx.

They are non-run flats anymore so I think I can feel the sidewall isn't quite as stiff as before. From reading a book or two some slip angle is what your looking for so I'll just have to test them out.

What is a good pressure to run Non-run flats at the track? I know 30psi cold is what the door says but just wondering if anyone else has run a street tire at the track thats a non-run flat and maybe had to increase the pressure.

Also as i have been driving them around the PSI hasn't changed at all from where it was yesterday. I find this weird since I have been driving it around and they haven't moved. Now the full tread depth my be keeping the air inside from heating up as fast as my old tires that were pretty low in the rear, so that may be part of it, but its still odd and i'll have to watch it.

I had the Firestone Wide Oval RFTs on the car when i bought it used and they would always heat a few degrees from where they were cold as i drove them even normally throughout the day. Cold pressure was really only available in the morning as anytime during the day they had heated up.

Any other advice for new tires at the track so i don't ruin them before i get a set of R888s for my second set of wheels later this year?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I have used the older Firestones and had good results with them.
The way to break in tires is to bring them up to max temp then let them cool over night. if you are street driving You will probably never be able to get them truly hot enough. It takes a few laps at speed.
So if you don't really abuse them (over heat) you shpuld be good.
I usually run 32 in the fronts and 28 in the rears cold.
they should be some where around 35-40 when hot

Quick Reply: New tires and an HPDE soon. Firehawk Indy 500