Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, how long to break in before hitting the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, how long to break in before hitting the track?

Hi folks,

I just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, is there a break in period or procedure I should go through before hitting the track (road course)? I replaced the brake pads and these have been bedded in.

Thanks!

Last edited by thisismyusername; 06-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
Hi folks,

I just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, is there a break in period or procedure I should go through before hitting the track (road course)? I replaced the brake pads and these have been bedded in.

Thanks!
A few minutes to do a proper bedding in, then you're ready to hit the track. Follow this bed-in procedure, if you haven't already done it.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/Bed-in

P.S. If you don't do a proper bed-in, it's no big deal. The first session at the track is a rough approximation of the detailed procedure in the attached link, and is probably good enough for most of us. When I have to change pads/rotors at the track, I don't take the time to do a proper bed-in in the paddock. I just get on track, being a little careful the first two or three laps until the brakes have had a chance to get very hot.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of guys run their Z51 optioned C6 at the track without issue but FWIW the cross-drilled Z51 rotors are notorious for cracking under hard track use. If you track your car often and if you ever develop a problem with the Z51 rotors, I suggest you go to solid/slotted rotors. They're much better for track use.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
A lot of guys run their Z51 optioned C6 at the track without issue but FWIW the cross-drilled Z51 rotors are notorious for cracking under hard track use. If you track your car often and if you ever develop a problem with the Z51 rotors, I suggest you go to solid/slotted rotors. They're much better for track use.
Lots of folks (me included) like the Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) 4000 rotors. They're slotted, not drilled, and last well with track use. Not too expensive either.

Another school of thought says use the cheapest solid rotor you can find (within reason of course). You may have to replace them a little more often, but you'll still save lots of money from the very low prices.

Both opinions are equally valid and somewhat a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-15-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, how long to break in before hitting the track?

Quick Reply: Just upgraded my C6 to Z51 rotors, how long to break in before hitting the track?