Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with harness install please.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Need help with harness install please.

I have my brackets from Beerkat (thanks and will send money) and was trying to figure out how 5 point harness goes. I bought a used AS&M harness bar 3 years ago and I got a used set of harnesses also but I cant which these came with:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Does the bar with the eye hooks bolt to the rear bracket bolts for the seat belts and will I have to get another eye bolt for sub strap? Is other bar just extra? Found nothing on either websites. TIA. BTW, seats are Corbeau FX1s if that matters.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you doing one seat or 2? I would use the bar with the 2 eye bolts and the single bolt in the center, it mounts across the rear of the seat onto the 2 bolts coming up thru the floor. Put a lap belt on each eye bolt and the substrap on the center bolt. There are many ways of mounting the lap belts, but from what I see in the pictures that is the way I would use the setup. The other bar looks like it would be for a 6 point setup, and in that case the lap belts would mount to the stock seat belt mounts. Feel free to call me if I can help.
Note: after looking again, since you don't have the snap on clips!! Use the bar with the three holes and use the 2 outside holes for the lap belts and the center hole for the subbelt. and dont use the eye bolts!!!! 772 335 8318 home JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 06-12-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am doing 2 seats. I have 2 bars with the 2 eye bolts and 2 bars with just 2 bolts. So if I understand what you are saying, skip the eye bolt brackets, and just bolt my lap belts to the two end holes and then bolt sub strap to middle bolt. That would be pretty easy.

Thanks. I just hope the bracket bolts are long enough for 2 brackets. I would hate to have to spend $100 for bolt extenders.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waddisme
I am doing 2 seats. I have 2 bars with the 2 eye bolts and 2 bars with just 2 bolts. So if I understand what you are saying, skip the eye bolt brackets, and just bolt my lap belts to the two end holes and then bolt sub strap to middle bolt. That would be pretty easy.

Thanks. I just hope the bracket bolts are long enough for 2 brackets. I would hate to have to spend $100 for bolt extenders.
The bolts will be long enough, You could also use the bars with the eye bolts, but replace the eye bolts with regular bolts for the lap belts. Don't really know what the other bars are for? Some people use a bar in front for the subbelt, but that is not the correct way to use the subbelt. Good luck, JD
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Much thanks!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waddisme
Much thanks!
Just a note: you will have to put the harness bar under the seat brackets or the bolts won't be long enough. So you may need to loosen the front nuts on the seat brackets also. I jaut checked and this is how mine is mounted. JD
Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Just a note: you will have to put the harness bar under the seat brackets or the bolts won't be long enough. So you may need to loosen the front nuts on the seat brackets also. I jaut checked and this is how mine is mounted. JD
When I ran my RD Crossbar harness bar, the stock rear seat bolts weren't long enough to go through the downtube, seat belt bracket and the seat. I had to pound out the stock bolts and replace them with longer/larger dia grade 8 bolts from underneath.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

grind the weld, put a large socket on a floor jack over the head from below, and knock it out. Putting in longer bolts makes everything go a lot smoother.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What grade or bolt strength rating would I be getting?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did with my harness is...

I used the rear seat bolts to attach my sub belt to. mine is a 6 point however. Get a one 1" piece of flat stock mount it like I did on my cross brace but farther to the rear. Drill hole in the middle to bolt your sub belt to.

On the right side I drilled another hole through the seat rail to bolt the lap belt too. I used the BK lap mount that I had on the left side.

Last edited by beerkat; 06-13-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am already going to have 2 of the 1" flat stocks because the FX1 seat holes are 1 1/2" narrower than stock. So it would be OK to bolt lap belts to bracket where the cross braces are bolted? Also, the bar in the pics that does not have the eyebolts has enough room to be mounted on the brackets also and still have room to attach. Either way seems much simpler as I have to drill holes anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I think that you can use the same bolts that mount the seat to the rails. I used a 3/8" bolt for mounting my seat. In order to use those bolt for lap belts I used a metal bushing 3/8" ID with a 1/2" OD so that the metal connector on the belt fit correctly. It also allows the mounting point to swivel. If you want more pictures let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with harness install please.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with harness install please.