Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Road America Newbie info post here

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Any Road America Newbie info post here

Going there for GT track days on Monday and tuesday. Any good info about the facilitiy, good places to eat or anything at all about RA would be appreciated. I have seen alot of post on here about RA but experiencing for the 1st time next week.

Where are the worst rumble strips on the track?

Got my tow hook ready incase I need it but hopefully not. I am hoping for good weather and no rain it has been a rainy season up here in the midwest.

i am bringing a few sets of pads and rotors / tires just in case I know this track car be hard on brakes due to the high speeds.

Also going to bring a bike since some stuff is a distance from the pit area i heard?

Thanks
Derek
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to go into town , bout 4-5 good places to eat .
Im a T5 addict btw...
Havent been there with the new rumble strips
excellant facility
Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the curbing strips are progressive. The edge of the curbing is not too bad, but the more you use of it, the deeper the grooves are...so the rougher it gets. The Nationwide guys were just there and a few broke suspension components on them.

I recommend being conservative at first using just a bit of the curbing until you see how your car reacts. If your shocks are compliant enough, soften 'em up and use as much of those curbs as your comfortable with.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

Have fun! I was planning to attend but I'm still sorting out this rebuild. I have some dry and wet videos on Vimeo. They aren't HD but you could probably find those if you search. Here's a link:

http://vimeo.com/user757222/videos

There's new curbing in a few places and it's very severe. The normal curbing is painted red and orange but some is just black. It only extends a short ways off the track side. The new stuff is black and starts bumpy then goes to mountainous. It extends much farther off the track, so it's easy to identify. I've been most likely to get into that tracking out on turn five and turn eight.

You may have pad knock back after the long straights. I have to double pump the pedal for turn one, five, and twelve.

It's been a rainy year here and it looks like there is a chance of rain. So far it looks like a small chance. If it's raining there is a stream of water after the kink (turn eleven). Make sure to get your turning done before getting into the water there. Also there are turns that have concrete at the apex. It's easy to get over steer in the rain on those.

Trackpedia link:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Road_America

I usually leave at lunch and get gas plus food in town. If you buy anything at Fleet Farm in Plymouth you get a four cent discount on fuel at their station. I usually fill up there and eat at Culver's or some other place in town. The gas at the track is very expensive, and the food isn't that good plus it's expensive.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

aardwolf thanks for the info i was wondering how expensive gas would be at the track, thanks for all the info
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll be working tech starting Monday morning I'll give you a good idea of where to find a good place to eat or get gas.
We're hoping for great weather and with 500 cars running over the weekend there should be plenty of rubber down for a nice fast track.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek,

I have a very good track writeup that someone sent me before the NCM event there in 2008. I found it to be very accurate and helpful. It may be a little out-of-date, with the new curbing, but should still be helpful. I'll send it to you tonight (I don't have it on my work computer today).

Shoot me your e-mail address again in case I don't have it.

My address is Stlandstra@aol.com

Steve
Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Derek, we expect lots of updates and pics, and have a great time.

If this event is going on next summer I would love to attend.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

video too.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Derek,

As you enter the facility, after you've driven under the bridge and up the hill, you will see a series of shops on your right. Drive until you see the bathrooms on the right hand side (where the road splits into many directional choices) and then look for an empty paddock space to your left (Competition Paddock). This will keep you close to indoor plumbing unless you like those lovely one seater plastic green houses.

You'll find tourist eateries in Elkhart which can get crowded fast, but there are a few good places in Plymouth as well (7 minutes away).

You'll find black rumble as you track out in turns 1,5,6,8 and 12. As Chirs mentioned, delve into them gradually.

It's a long track, make sure you have enough gas for each session.
I go through almost a gallon a lap with the Beast.

Here's my car video from one of last year's races. Fairly slower laps as it was an enduro but you'll get the idea of the line.

http://vimeo.com/4363072

Mike
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

everyone thanks for the info i appreciate it all!~
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

BEWARE of the Kink....it can and will bite you.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Here's my car video from one of last year's races. Fairly slower laps as it was an enduro but you'll get the idea of the line.

http://vimeo.com/4363072

Mike
LOL if those are slower laps then i am in for a hell of a good time
Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went into T5 too hot last fall with the north woods mustang club event. Got way out on the curbing and I think the dash was about to come apart.

But i was too busy looking at the porshe who about ate my rear because i couldnt put any power down. You will love T9 (carousel). Its one of my favories right up there with the uphill esses at VIR.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

how fast were you seeing through the carousel?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Im not sure.. i was thinking 86. But dont try that on the first lap! I might be wrong and you will be playing in the sandbox
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
how fast were you seeing through the carousel?
Derek,

Come on now, don't play that game!

btw......you'll see between 90-95 mph after some seat time with your slicks.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Road America Newbie info post here

Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 AM
66IISS
Racer

Derek -

I'll be up there on Tuesday playing pit crew for my friend and his "Mallet" CTS-V. I was going to take my car up, but I'm working out a few things on it right now (like a complete lack of decent rear pads) and I can't really justify paying for track days until I land a job. I miss college already.

I've been up there a few times so far, and have seen speeds of about 150mph in the 96 'vette and similar in a stock 03 Z06, and I saw 163 mph in a bone stock (even down to the alignment) '07 Z06. Carousel speeds in the 96 where substantial, that's where my motor went kaboom a few years ago. I want to say it was in the mid to upper 70's, maybe low 80's. In the 03 z06 I was shifting out of third and into 4th at the track out point, which is about 100 mph. I went through the kink somewhere below 110 in the 96, but I don't recall where. I haven't gotten out there this year with the car.

Anyways, look for the big blue ford F250 with the black Cadillac near it and say hello. I'll either be towing it on a brown open trailer or in a big gray enclosed. Most likely the brown open trailer.

-Brad
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

btw......you'll see between 90-95 mph after some seat time with your slicks.
Looks like i need some practice!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Todd Z
Racer

Derek,

Looking forward to meeting you. Tech and registration open Sunday at 6:00pm. If you have any questions at all find myself or anybody in a GT Track days shirt and they will help you. We are having a social gathering Monday starting at 6:30 in Plymouth at Antonio's. There will be and invite in your registration packet. FREE FOOD! Thanks for attending.

Todd
The T in GT Track Days

Quick Reply: Any Road America Newbie info post here