Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Security Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trailer Security Questions

Was at the trailer store the other day buying some misc parts and saw a whole section with anti-theft parts. Now I have a lock on the coupler, but they sold all kinds of mechanisms including locking receiver pins and special coupler locks.

Right now I just have a standard brass pin padlock on the coupler, but thought , hey all someone would have to do is remove the hitch pin and they have themselves a sweet 2006 Z06 ready to go on a trailer. But then I thought, even if they removed the pin, how could they move my truck or the trailer enough to hook another truck to the trailer. I mean you have to have either several guys or hook a chain to the rear and pull it back making all kinds of noise in the process.

So, is it worth buying a pin lock mechanism where the receiver attaches to the hitch? Or since I locked the coupler, am I good to go??
Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hitch lock is a good idea, but any organized thief will use a tow truck hook to take the whole trailer in a few secs vs hitching it up.

At home I run a chain though one set of wheels and lock it.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hitch lock is a good idea, but any organized thief will use a tow truck hook to take the whole trailer in a few secs vs hitching it up.

At home I run a chain though one set of wheels and lock it.
Yup, No device will keep a true pro away. By having hitch locks or as Tom notes, chains through wheels, you are deterring the average hack enough that he/she will not bother.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Last Sunday morning I went to the shop and noticed that someone busted off my receiver lock, broke into my trailer and had the hood off my car. Noting was missing except the lock and hood pins. I'm guessing they were coming back to take the whole thing.

Needless to say I took the trailer home not wanting to find out, I really think I dodged a bullet since neither the car nor trailer is insured.

I bought a new 3 piece Master Trailer lock set for like $40, not sure it will stop anyone but it will slow them down.

Any other thoughts that might keep someone from walking away it all my ****....I was thinking of storing my C4 in the trailer since it has Lojack
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Last Sunday morning I went to the shop and noticed that someone busted off my receiver lock, broke into my trailer and had the hood off my car. Noting was missing except the lock and hood pins. I'm guessing they were coming back to take the whole thing.

Needless to say I took the trailer home not wanting to find out, I really think I dodged a bullet since neither the car nor trailer is insured.

I bought a new 3 piece Master Trailer lock set for like $40, not sure it will stop anyone but it will slow them down.

Any other thoughts that might keep someone from walking away it all my ****....I was thinking of storing my C4 in the trailer since it has Lojack
dude ken... INSURE THAT ****!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

oh one more choice: Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have any markings, decals or anything on the trailer to entice people to look in it.

I never leave my car or tools on the trailer when the trailer is stored, but I do leave a bunch of tires and wheels.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

When Tide sponsored Trans-Am I hated having that big Tide sign on each side of the trailer as required. Then, a cop friend of mine said that it was a good idea to have things on your trailer to identify it. That way, if someone takes the trailer folks will see it and can tell the police. Some guys don't like identifying what might be in their trailer but a thief already knows by the way the trailer looks.

Another thing we did was to hook up a small low wattage light at the man door with a switch to the winch battery that could turn it on. We then put a small protection sticker under it. When we locked the trailer up like on the road over night we would turn the light on and people would think an alarm was set. We had no alarm but you get the idea. You can't leave it on all the time unless you regularly charge the battery.

I keep my trailer in a fenced in well lit storage area where the gate is locked and I don't leave things of value like a car or tools in it.

I am getting some more stickers to identify my new trailer now.

Everyone I have know that has lost a trailer with a race car or tools in it has had a nod discript trailer with no identifying marks.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case it is an open trailer, so no hiding what is sitting on top. I like the chain idea, and I am going to splurg and buy the $15 receiver lock (use in conjunction with my coupler lock). I guess that is about as secure as an open trailer is going to get.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
In my case it is an open trailer, so no hiding what is sitting on top. I like the chain idea, and I am going to splurg and buy the $15 receiver lock (use in conjunction with my coupler lock). I guess that is about as secure as an open trailer is going to get.
If your trailer is aluminum, don't forget to lock up the ramps. Nothing the meth heads like better than aluminum ramps.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by wallyman424
dude ken... INSURE THAT ****!
My inlaws, no health insurance, no homeowners insurance, just liability on all their cars..maybe they are rubbing off on me.

My father in law is in his 70s, I'm wonder how much he has saved over his life time not having insurance on anything.

I actually started looking at what we pay for health insurance and was starting to think I'd be better off paying cash, but I'm to chicken ****. I'll be looking into insurance for the trailer and car
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just put a small lock on my trailer. If someone wants what you have, 20 seconds with a Dewalt cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel mounted will get through any type of lock you put on.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Last C5
If your trailer is aluminum, don't forget to lock up the ramps. Nothing the meth heads like better than aluminum ramps.
In eastern NC there have been a few cargo trailers stolen and turned into mobile meth labs.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
All I have is 2 cotter pins protecting my ramps. I have the 3 set keyed alike locks but only using 1 for coupler. Need to put other 2 on ramps. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will stop at nothing to get it. We do construction and park equipment around our trailers front and back. Doors on the trailer work like a safe vault.. So they just took a torch and cut a 6ft hole in the side of the trailer... aholes
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow amazing some people will stop at nothing
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will stop at nothing to get it. We do construction and park equipment around our trailers front and back. Doors on the trailer work like a safe vault.. So they just took a torch and cut a 6ft hole in the side of the trailer... aholes
That is a big one right there. Take tools ppl can sell for cash at flee markets.

Time to hook up the arch welder to the trailer and put a puddle of water around the trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Security Questions

Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
That is a big one right there. Take tools ppl can sell for cash at flee markets.

Time to hook up the arch welder to the trailer and put a puddle of water around the trailer.

Now there is a GOOD idea!

I am not screwing with your stuff at VIR!

Jim
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
My inlaws, no health insurance, no homeowners insurance, just liability on all their cars..maybe they are rubbing off on me.

My father in law is in his 70s, I'm wonder how much he has saved over his life time not having insurance on anything.

I actually started looking at what we pay for health insurance and was starting to think I'd be better off paying cash, but I'm to chicken ****. I'll be looking into insurance for the trailer and car
I'm 50. Never paid anything but good liability insurance and really high deductible health insurance with HSA. Over the years I have saved huge. Insurance co's only provide insurance when they can make money.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

No one reads stickies anymore :-)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Goto the trailer section about 2/3 of the way in. There is a great device to use to lock the tongue of the trailer cheap. Links there to buy it even.

Quick Reply: Trailer Security Questions