Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much will ATE Blue and cooling ducts help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Default how much will ATE Blue and cooling ducts help?

Last time I took my C6 to the track (MAM) I didn't have anyone to help me bleed my brakes, so I went out on stock fluid w/ carbotech pads. I boiled over the stock fluid bad on the first session.

I've since flushed the system and put in ATE Super Blue.

How much difference will this fluid swap make?

I just got some cooling ducts from Quantum and may try to get them installed tonight, but I'm leaving at 6:30 AM tomorrow and won't be able to start working till late tonight, so I'm thinking about skipping the duct install.

How much do the generic Quantum ducts help? Will I be ok not running them and just using the Super Blue this time?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Last time I took my C6 to the track (MAM) I didn't have anyone to help me bleed my brakes, so I went out on stock fluid w/ carbotech pads. I boiled over the stock fluid bad on the first session.

I've since flushed the system and put in ATE Super Blue.

How much difference will this fluid swap make?

I just got some cooling ducts from Quantum and may try to get them installed tonight, but I'm leaving at 6:30 AM tomorrow and won't be able to start working till late tonight, so I'm thinking about skipping the duct install.

How much do the generic Quantum ducts help? Will I be ok not running them and just using the Super Blue this time?
Much depends on how hard you brake, which pad (XP8 or 12?) which depends on the track and run group. There was a C5Z at summit which is hard on brakes that was ok on ATE w/o ducts running XP12. But this was a beginning group--he started to use pad fast and boiled the fluid in intermediate. Make sure the pads have a lot left. Take it easy if there's a long staight leading to a low corner. In a lower run group with traffic you won't be able to go so fast onthe straight so this comes naturally.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Much depends on how hard you brake, which pad (XP8 or 12?) which depends on the track and run group. There was a C5Z at summit which is hard on brakes that was ok on ATE w/o ducts running XP12. But this was a beginning group--he started to use pad fast and boiled the fluid in intermediate. Make sure the pads have a lot left. Take it easy if there's a long staight leading to a low corner. In a lower run group with traffic you won't be able to go so fast onthe straight so this comes naturally.

I've got newer 10's in front and 8's in the rear on blank Napa rotors and stock supercar tires. I'll be running pretty hard in a mixed 'open lapping' group. Usually I'm in advanced though. I'll probably be hitting 140mph on the front straight running up to that sharp 90* and I'm looking to turn a 1:45 if I get space w/o traffic.

How much do the ducts help.. might be worth burning the midnight oil to get them on...

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 06-24-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You won't boil the Superblue, and the Quantum ducts will prolong the life of your rotors which just so happens to work in conjunction for you reason of switching to ATE, as it will keep the fluid cooler as well. For just an HPDE'r, good fluid is about all you need, but the spindle ducts are a definite bonus!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

how do you know you boiled the fluid? Regardless, just getting fresh fluid of any kind should help. Pretty bad you had to go home after less than one session.......

I think a Motive bleeder or some speed bleeders might be worth the investment.....will pay for itself quickly! I use a Nitrogen bottle and pressure cap, as I don't have any friends either
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
how do you know you boiled the fluid? Regardless, just getting fresh fluid of any kind should help. Pretty bad you had to go home after less than one session.......

I think a Motive bleeder or some speed bleeders might be worth the investment.....will pay for itself quickly! I use a Nitrogen bottle and pressure cap, as I don't have any friends either
It leaked up and out of the resevoir and when I bled it in the paddock w/ some SCCA guys who were there for the weekend they said it was 110% toast... they were amazed my car only had 3,000 miles on it and that probably just happend in that one session. I got back out for the last session of the day on some borrowed fluid after bleeding all 4 corners and took a few more laps till I started feeling the fade again and let off so I could make it home ok w/o bleeding.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

ate superblue will work good in your car for MAM i have used it with and without brake ducts and never had any brake issues after that.

my friend was on stock fluid and aftermarket pads and hoosiers and needless to say he went mowing the lawn at the end of the 2nd straight due to no brakes.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if boiled fluid few laps into the session on the street tires, something funny was going on. maybe you already had some air in the system?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

motul 600 is fine for 1/2 the price.

you cant use the basic ducts, you need the race duct kit. the basic kit just angles ait at the rotor you need the full ducting setup that diverts air form the front of the car at high speed directly to the hub and the rotor veins.

and what on earth were you thinking with RACE pads on stock fluid!??! You are lucky you didnt die.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

speedbleeders are your friend my man. No help is needed. They run less than $20 per set of four.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
David is right, get the Motive. Once you get the Motive you'll have lots of friends. They'll want you to bleed their cars too.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

I've got newer 10's in front and 8's in the rear on blank Napa rotors and stock supercar tires. I'll be running pretty hard in a mixed 'open lapping' group. Usually I'm in advanced though. I'll probably be hitting 140mph on the front straight running up to that sharp 90* and I'm looking to turn a 1:45 if I get space w/o traffic.

How much do the ducts help.. might be worth burning the midnight oil to get them on...

Too late to be of help but for the record...I am not a big fan of the ducts. My last set of front rotors got me through 2 days at Summit--they didn't crack threw but looked so close to the edge that I pulled them off. I just went through at tie rod end. How much worse would it really be w/o ducts?

Just put some good fluid in it (I don't like ATE--upgrade to Motul or even SRF for a tough track on brakes). I bring all the gear with me so I have the option of doing a full flush at the track.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Brake fluid absorbs water over time which makes it boil at its 'wet boiling point' which is normally much lower than the dry. If you want to flush your fluid every event, just use cheap fluid and it will be fine (you will be working with the dry boiling point.) If you don't want to change fluid alot get something with a high wet boiling point. The real expensive fluids have wet boiling points that are closer to the dry boiling point.

Super blue 536/388 deg valvoline syntec (10$ per quart at autozone) 500/311- if you put new syntec in you are good for around 500 deg!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

The ATE fluid seemed to work ok, but I cracked a pretty new NAPA front rotor It'd only seen the 2 sessions from last event before today.

regarding the setup I have waiting to go on, it's this:

z06 ducts w/ high temp hose

then the universal kit:
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

don't expect night and day difference as far as NAPA rotor longevity goes. maybe an extra session or two, if that.

The ATE fluid seemed to work ok, but I cracked a pretty new NAPA front rotor It'd only seen the 2 sessions from last event before today.

regarding the setup I have waiting to go on, it's this:

z06 ducts w/ high temp hose

then the universal kit:
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Too late to be of help but for the record...I am not a big fan of the ducts. My last set of front rotors got me through 2 days at Summit--they didn't crack threw but looked so close to the edge that I pulled them off. I just went through at tie rod end. How much worse would it really be w/o ducts?

Just put some good fluid in it (I don't like ATE--upgrade to Motul or even SRF for a tough track on brakes). I bring all the gear with me so I have the option of doing a full flush at the track.
SRF RULES THE WORLD!

Get notified of new replies

To how much will ATE Blue and cooling ducts help?

Quick Reply: how much will ATE Blue and cooling ducts help?