Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Rearends differentials

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default C5 Rearends differentials

I've been hearing about more us of quaifes and OS gikens LSD for our C5 racecars. Any comments about this?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

That OS Giken looks like its a viscous coupling, don't the miatas run those? And burn them up? Wish we could get a weismann setup.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Huh, weismann is making the lockers again, wonder if they build one that'll fit.

http://www.weismann.net/Products/wtp.htm
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd like to drive a C5/C6 with a quaife for curiousity, I ran one in a FWD car and it was the shiznit.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I'd like to drive a C5/C6 with a quaife for curiousity, I ran one in a FWD car and it was the shiznit.
Talk with Louis at LGM (or google it up) because Lou ran the Quaife and the Positrac back to back and although he ran slightly faster lap times with the Quaife, his consistency and repeatability went way down, so he decided NOT to run the Quaife because consistency matters more than peak lap tiem. According to postings the Quaife differential acts more like a spool or welded differential, and causes "push" out of turns..............comments???
Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Thats funny, I always liked that bit on corner exit with a locked diff. You have to setup the car to be more aggressive on entry/mid corner, and you can't have understeer lock in the wheel when you get on power. But if you drop a wheel the car keeps going instead of off.

And remember that the weismanns were good for .75sec over a plate diff until the cars got aero loaded.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
93ASP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The OS Giken SuperLock differential for the corvette is a plate style, tuneable and achieves 100% lock. Here's a link to exploded view: http://www.unitrax.biz/?p=73

I've had numerous differential styles over the years with different cars and have been very happy with the performance of the OS Giken in my autocross corvette.

A quaife differential is torque biasing and requires a completely different car setup to extract full performance. When one wheel is unloaded it acts like an open differential so car setup must take that into account.

Eric
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93ASP
A quaife differential is torque biasing and requires a completely different car setup to extract full performance. When one wheel is unloaded it acts like an open differential so car setup must take that into account.

Eric
How's that? How would you set a car up for varying diff types. I have never looked into that or had the chance to drive the same car with different diffs.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Originally Posted by 93ASP
The OS Giken SuperLock differential for the corvette is a plate style, tuneable and achieves 100% lock. Here's a link to exploded view: http://www.unitrax.biz/?p=73
Aha, the one pic I found made it look like a viscous, thanks for setting me straight.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
How's that? How would you set a car up for varying diff types. I have never looked into that or had the chance to drive the same car with different diffs.
I just installed a quaife diff and I'm heading to the track this weekend. I'm guessing it will cause more push on throttle based on what I've seen posted.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Eric knows more than I do but here is my experience with clutch vs. torque biasing diffs.

First, it helps to understand how they work, a clutch type (auburn, etc) will always apply a pretty consistent amount of torque regardless of whether the inside wheel has traction. If the wheel is in the air, it is still transferring a specific amount of torque to the outside wheel. It depends on how much load is on the clutch discs.

A torque biasing (torsen, etc) will only multiple the torque from the inside wheel to the outside. You can adjust the amount of torque multiplication, but it is still the inside wheel torque times a value which equals the amount of torque transferred. So if the inside wheel is up in the air, it is putting down 0 ft*lbs of torque. So say your diff is set a 4x torque transfer, then 4 * 0 = 0. The diff is doing nothing for you. The inside wheel needs to be on the ground with these diffs. (or you can pull the ebrake when you start apply throttle but obviously that isn't practical) So the inside wheel needs to have more force on it to be effective. The more inside wheel grip, the more power you put to the outside wheel.

Here are some things that will keep the inside wheel down and a torque biasing diff happy.
1. Less rear rebound
2. Softer rear bar
3. More shock droop (if you are limited in shock travel)

A clutch type doesn’t care about the inside wheel to be able to transfer torque.

Just my experience from my camaro days with an auburn, torsen and torsen T2R.
Chris
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I just got back to my hotel room from a day of qualifying at Road America's June Sprints.

I was talking to John Heinricy on the way out. He is doing consulting for Torvec and their torque biasing diff. He had good things to say about Quaife when I asked him what I would notice driving with a Torvec. He said it has a higher biasing ratio and that it comes in smoother when applying throttle in a turn. He said he can get on the power sooner than he can with some of his other race cars running Quaife's.

Oli

PS. I am fifth in class for T1. Tom Sloe is T1 P1 in his C5. Jim Lynch is #2 in his Viper. Third is David MacNeil, the Weathertech dude, in his Ferrari 430. Fourth is Jason Berkeley. Heinricy did not get a time today as he threw a belt on the first lap. There are over 60 cars in our race group. I am gridded in 15th spot so far, but I expect to move up a few spots tomorrow with a tire change. Most of the cars up front are STO.

Last edited by Olitho; 06-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
I was talking to John Heinricy on the way out. He is doing consulting for Torvec and their torque biasing diff. He had good things to say about Quaife when I asked him what I would notice driving with a Torvec. He said it has a higher biasing ratio and that it comes in smoother when applying throttle in a turn. He said he can get on the power sooner than he can with some of his other race cars running Quaife's.
What does get the power down sooner? does that mean you can be on power and not have the rearend break out as if you had a car with less power where you could just floor the thing?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Rearends differentials

Quick Reply: C5 Rearends differentials