Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good videos of you guys at Gingerman, esp with the new extension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good videos of you guys at Gingerman, esp with the new extension?

I am going with the BMW club to gingerman. Was suppose to run the extension counter clockwise, but now they are going to run it the normal clockwise direction. I have heard its a good extension.

Any videos of you guys running that new setup?

Also i think it might be raining this weekend, what would you recommend to be cautious off? Also I am running Toyo R888, so any difference? I havent run a track in rain before.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a video that was originally posted on this forum I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDiHsADyZw

Corner 3 in the rain will be fun. The braking zone is actually downhill and the corner has some camber to it. With the extra long straight, the last corner coming onto the start/finish straight is not a place you want to push it. Anything off track in the wet will probably put you into a tire wall or Armco.

Ken
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by bb69
Here is a video that was originally posted on this forum I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDiHsADyZw

Corner 3 in the rain will be fun. The braking zone is actually downhill and the corner has some camber to it. With the extra long straight, the last corner coming onto the start/finish straight is not a place you want to push it. Anything off track in the wet will probably put you into a tire wall or Armco.

Ken
Hey Ken,

Thanks for posting the video. I wasn't aware that some changes had been made at Gingerman. I used to go up there 2-3 times a month when I lived in Indiana, but haven't been there recently since I moved to Florida. Always had a good time there.
I agree with your comments above. I understand the management's possible desire to put a longer/higher speed addition onto the track, but that particular stretch is probably the last place I would have done that given the fence near the end of that straight. Hopefully no one has a brake issue coming into that last corner.

ps: Any new updates on your track car?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I was there in May before the extension was finished. This may or may not help you but here is some video from that event. Im runnning my '90 with street tires. Very minor mods.

http://vimeo.com/11806800
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
ps: Any new updates on your track car?
I have the turbo up and going now. I still have some tuning to work out, but it's a nice addition. It made it almost possible to hang with some of the guys at Autobahn last weekend.

As for Gingerman, I had heard the same rumor that they were going to run it backwards with these changes. I know the changes took longer than expected. Maybe they aren't completely done yet. We will be there in October for the Lemons race, so we'll see how it goes.

Ken
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a video from a Dodge press event at Gingerman for the Viper ACR X. The in car video was done with a Race Keeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PUKsAxzD90

Last edited by MySR71; 06-25-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, you going to be able to get to the track soon? Haven't seen you out there in awhile.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
MySR71
Pro

I've done a couple of days this year and will be heading to Grattan on July 10th when AROC is there. Will you be there?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Thanks guys, the first video did help. Since this was my first time out and in the intermediate group, it took some time to pull it together. Even then I was having noticeable trouble in T2, obviously T10. I tried 2 different lines in T5 & 6 and both seems to be ok, but I didnt know which was faster. The dumb me completely forgot to turn on the cam on sunday which happened to be my best day(for obvious reasons).

Someone timed me on my last session and with some traffic and some sort of tune issue(where I was getting hesitated accelration) and messing up T2 and going to slow in T10 I did a 1:49:9. I know I can do a lot better because I was trying to concentrated on getting T2 and T10 figured out.

Anyhow it was a fun fun track, I would have preferred having the red/white curbing on turns rather than the concrete stuff.

Probably will go there again soon.

BTW SR71 do you have a video of grattan? I am going up there Aug 7-8 with 3 *****.

How come none of the corvette guys run the BMW events? I saw some guys at the Audi Autobahn event but not a single vette @ gingerman.

Since I dont have my vette anymore, I like to see them run on the track.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

So is Gingerman all finished with the new layout?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by punz
So is Gingerman all finished with the new layout?
yes the track is finished, but since they did the construction in the rain, the turn 10 became a negative camber as oppose to positive camber they had thought off. Now they will redo it after this season is over to correct that. When turn 10 comes up, nothing can be seen on the other side, since its down hill from there

Last edited by KILR-RYD; 06-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Cool, I was out there a month and a half ago they were working on it.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM
MySR71
Pro

Some of the turns you specifically mention: T2, and the T5-T6 complex seem to be approached differently by different people. I'm glad to hear you had fun though. The new turn 10 is pretty fun.

I must say that I have not run with BMW group. No real reason why other than schedules.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I can e-mail you a 5 MB video of Grattan. It might not be the best lap but it will give you an idea of what Grattan is like. I'm not up on YouTube posting and most of my videos are too big to e-mail.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
I've done a couple of days this year and will be heading to Grattan on July 10th when AROC is there. Will you be there?
Yeah, I'll probably be there. I need some tires, though. I have some million-year-old Goodyears that I'll have to try...

If you PM me your e-mail address, I can e-mail you a 5 MB video of Grattan. It might not be the best lap but it will give you an idea of what Grattan is like. I'm not up on YouTube posting and most of my videos are too big to e-mail.
Dan, make sure you send the video of Grattan that ends like this:

Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
MySR71
Pro

I have no videos which end like that.

Last edited by MySR71; 06-29-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Some of the turns you specifically mention: T2, and the T5-T6 complex seem to be approached differently by different people. I'm glad to hear you had fun though. The new turn 10 is pretty fun.

I must say that I have not run with BMW group. No real reason why other than schedules.

It surely was fun and I saw many people were approaching those 2 set of turns very differently. My instructor had a different line, the senior coach had a different line, but I guess next time I am there I can try the different variations to see how they work out.

Thanks for the offer, just PM'd you for the file.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

IDK if I missed it, but what kinds of speeds are those who have ran with the extension hitting now?

Get notified of new replies

To Any good videos of you guys at Gingerman, esp with the new extension?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

It appears that they have added about 400' between turns 10 and 11. Gingerman has always been hard on brakes. Next time I go there I better bring an extra set of pads.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
IDK if I missed it, but what kinds of speeds are those who have ran with the extension hitting now?
I hit 115 or so and probably had another 5 MPH left, but brakes were spongy because my pads were pretty thin and tapered. That and the two grooves in the track make things a bit dicey under really hard braking. We were there last Wednesday night for a test and tune. No sense in beating the equipment to death just fooling around. Overall, I would say that the top speed is about 10 MPH higher now.

I could steer the car with the throttle at about 100 or so thru the esses leading into the new turn. There is a drop there and the car must be getting light thru that section, otherwise I can't see my car spinning tires at anywhere near that speed.

The uphill climb out of the new turn is blind and the paving job is not exactly smooth. Certain lines thru there would really make the car jump around.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

I just checked my data from the opening day and it's 128.65 mph at the end of the straight. I think the previous layout topped me out at 110 - 115 mph. We weren't pushing too hard so there's probably more with newer tires and pads.
Lots of dust and the off camber new corner made life difficult but I enjoyed the day.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Tourmgr1; 07-08-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Any good videos of you guys at Gingerman, esp with the new extension?