Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor question

I currently have DBA rotors on my 2007 C6Z06 which is a track car that sees occasional street use. These rotors were on the car when I purchased it. I also ran EBC blue pads which I have been very happy with. I plan to replace my rotors soon - what are your suggestions?

Thanks
Tom
Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If the car is used mostly for track use, I would look at a quality 2 piece rotor system. Stoptek, DBA, Brembo or the like would be good. They will be rather expensive at first, but you should see greatly lengthened rotor life. The quality of the metal in the rotor blanks is far superior to standard stuff and will reduce the chances of cracking. The hats are re usable so all you have to purchase is the rotor blanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually feel the exact opposite. 10 year track vet and I think the C6Z OEM rotors are some of the best I have ever used (way better than C5 solid rotors or NAPA). Been running the Z for a few years now, so have real data to back my claims. It is the one thing about the car that actually amazes me. That drilled rotors actually outlast the stock and NAPA ones I used on my C5.

I am easily getting full season out of a set (and much more on the rear). This is about 6-8 single days. It is ALL about money in my opinion. Besides tires, rotors are the single biggest disposable item on your car. The only reason in my opinion to go 2 piece, is because you want reduced weight or the BBK you purchased comes with them and you have no choice.

Otherwise now I pay $80 per rotor (price has come down significantly). There is NO WAY 2 piece rotor rings (which cost minimum $250+) are going to outlast OEM's by 3X to offset the cost savings. They "might" last an event or three more, but not nearly enough to get around the significant price difference.

Save your money for a good set of pads

Also, with rings you have to remount them, then put safety wire through them...sounds like a real PITA on top of an already PITA brake job. Also, the BEST part about OEM rotors...there is no right or left. Just one rotor for front and rear. This to me that is optimal. So all really need to carry (as spares to a track event) is one front and one rear as the likelyhood of FULLY cracking 2 rotors on the same axle is less unlikely. When I had my C5, if I only had a left available and the right cracked, I was out of luck or just used it anyway.

I know this advice isn't sexy, and doesn't support fancy aftermarket products with great claims, but what do I know...just been doing this for about a decade.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I actually feel the exact opposite. 10 year track vet and I think the C6Z OEM rotors are some of the best I have ever used (way better than C5 solid rotors or NAPA). Been running the Z for a few years now, so have real data to back my claims. It is the one thing about the car that actually amazes me. That drilled rotors actually outlast the stock and NAPA ones I used on my C5.

I am easily getting full season out of a set (and much more on the rear). This is about 6-8 single days. It is ALL about money in my opinion. Besides tires, rotors are the single biggest disposable item on your car. The only reason in my opinion to go 2 piece, is because you want reduced weight or the BBK you purchased comes with them and you have no choice.

Otherwise now I pay $80 per rotor (price has come down significantly). There is NO WAY 2 piece rotor rings (which cost minimum $250+) are going to outlast OEM's by 3X to offset the cost savings. They "might" last an event or three more, but not nearly enough to get around the significant price difference.

Save your money for a good set of pads

Also, with rings you have to remount them, then put safety wire through them...sounds like a real PITA on top of an already PITA brake job. Also, the BEST part about OEM rotors...there is no right or left. Just one rotor for front and rear. This to me that is optimal. So all really need to carry (as spares to a track event) is one front and one rear as the likelyhood of FULLY cracking 2 rotors on the same axle is less unlikely. When I had my C5, if I only had a left available and the right cracked, I was out of luck or just used it anyway.

I know this advice isn't sexy, and doesn't support fancy aftermarket products with great claims, but what do I know...just been doing this for about a decade.

I tried the two piece and went back to OEM
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually feel the exact opposite. 10 year track vet and I think the C6Z OEM rotors are some of the best I have ever used.

Otherwise now I pay $80 per rotor (price has come down significantly).

Save your money for a good set of pads.

Also, the BEST part about OEM rotors...there is no right or left. Just one rotor for front and rear.

95Jersey - I paraphrased your post a bit - thanks for the great, real world information - I tracked an 03Z for some years and would blow thru those rotors and now I'm prepping my 09Z...

Where are you getting OEM rotors for $80/ea? My car is street driven and I *might* swap pads at the track, I'm still undecided about that issue. Given that, what pad/s would you recommend both for the swap/don't swap angles??

Do you have any other brake mods besides cooling ducts? I'm probably going to try the DRM stainless pistons....or that awesome 'forced air' fog light mod that Bowtiguy posted.

~Phil
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is NO WAY 2 piece rotor rings (which cost minimum $250+) are going to outlast OEM's by 3X to offset the cost savings.
I bought some 2 pc rears used from Geerookie on here (the 2 pc rear sans ebrake has a much larger weight loss figure than a 2 pc front). They are AFX hats and coleman rings. I bought them mainly for the hats, the rings were 80-90% done when I got them. For kicks I ran them at CMP the first TT weekend just to finish them off. then the next event. then the next. then the next. then the next. then the next

so far they have lasted longer than any cheap chinese rear, and they were probably within 10% of throwaway thickness when I got them.

I think a replacement ring is $150.

if they lasted the same, I'd still run them just for the ~9 lb per corner weight savings.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GreekPT
95Jersey - I paraphrased your post a bit - thanks for the great, real world information - I tracked an 03Z for some years and would blow thru those rotors and now I'm prepping my 09Z...

Where are you getting OEM rotors for $80/ea? My car is street driven and I *might* swap pads at the track, I'm still undecided about that issue. Given that, what pad/s would you recommend both for the swap/don't swap angles??

Do you have any other brake mods besides cooling ducts? I'm probably going to try the DRM stainless pistons....or that awesome 'forced air' fog light mod that Bowtiguy posted.

~Phil
I agree for some reason the C5 rotors cracked much quicker. I do have brake ducts, but only recently. I ran 2 years without them and didn't have major issues. I am hoping that my pads and rotors last even longer.

It's actually $85.79 at GM parts house (Gene Cullney).

Choose pads based on the tires you run first, then your experience level. Expensive top of the line race pads are a waste if you are running street tires even with a good driver (in my opinion). A good entry pad for street tires is a Carbotech XP8...anything more than that and you should run r compounds.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I bought some 2 pc rears used from Geerookie on here (the 2 pc rear sans ebrake has a much larger weight loss figure than a 2 pc front). They are AFX hats and coleman rings. I bought them mainly for the hats, the rings were 80-90% done when I got them. For kicks I ran them at CMP the first TT weekend just to finish them off. then the next event. then the next. then the next. then the next. then the next

so far they have lasted longer than any cheap chinese rear, and they were probably within 10% of throwaway thickness when I got them.

I think a replacement ring is $150.

if they lasted the same, I'd still run them just for the ~9 lb per corner weight savings.
That is cheap for rotor rings. I think the bottom line is that we each have different needs and the individual needs to weight those needs for their application (cost vs. weight savings). I can see the benefit of weight savings and don't dispute...for me to do just HPDE, I am looking for the cheapest option with minimal hassle (and the good news is that OEM C6Z rotors from GM are not from China..YET).
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

Thanks for the input - 95Jersey - for that price it is certainly worth to try them. It sounds like you have a good amount of experience so I will give the OEM's a shot. I am running EBC blue pads and Toyo888's - soon to go to Hoosiers

95 are you running at NJMP on 7/16 with ECS?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

If you're not racing, the OEM rotors are just fine. If you race and need to get the last .1 or .2 out of a lap...and want to reduce your overall weight, unsprung weight, rotational mass and checkbook balance, then go with a 2-piece.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
Thanks for the input - 95Jersey - for that price it is certainly worth to try them. It sounds like you have a good amount of experience so I will give the OEM's a shot. I am running EBC blue pads and Toyo888's - soon to go to Hoosiers

95 are you running at NJMP on 7/16 with ECS?
I will. Going to have a busy day instructing, but stop by and say hi.

yellow C6Z with Phoenix sticker on the back
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you cannot really compare C5 rotors with C6 rotors as the sizes are different for cars of about the same weight. I strongly believe that issues with rotor longevity on C5s/base C6s are mostly due to the fact that they are undersized.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
you cannot really compare C5 rotors with C6 rotors as the sizes are different for cars of about the same weight. I strongly believe that issues with rotor longevity on C5s/base C6s are mostly due to the fact that they are undersized.

Apple vs Orange
Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

I will see you at NJMP - I run a silver 2007Z
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor question

Quick Reply: Rotor question