Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point Videos? RTR PCA HPDE Next week

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Summit Point Videos? RTR PCA HPDE Next week

My first trip to Summit Point is with Riesentoter Region PCA next week and wondered if anyone has a good solid line they'd like to share on video?

BTW if anyone is interested there's still plenty of room in all groups and we're a little short on instructors as of last weekend.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
My first trip to Summit Point is with Riesentoter Region PCA next week and wondered if anyone has a good solid line they'd like to share on video?

BTW if anyone is interested there's still plenty of room in all groups and we're a little short on instructors as of last weekend.

Thanks!
Ill shoot you a pm with some video
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks!
Which track--Main? I have some video but you can also download some from Joe Gaudette (a great T1 racer) at over1gracing.com (I think that's it).

BTW--runoff is decent at Summit Main. If you go off of T1, drive straight off--a gravel trap will stop you. If you try to come back on you might flip. At T9 exit (sweeper before the over head bridge) there are a lot of trees--not a good place to go off--be a little conservative there.

Andy
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, yes it's the main track. I was actually at Shenandoah and Jefferson for my first event this year. Jefferson was a warm-up day then two days at Shenandoah. A lot of guys in the club don't like Shenandoah but I had a blast even though the karussel turn is a little rough on the underside.

Everyone seems to like the main track best so I'm excited about it.

We'll be there next Thursday & Friday July 8-9 & should get a boat load of track time. Not to late to sign up.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Hey Jimbeau, here's a link to some Summit Main video from the Corvettes@Carlisle event last year. http://www.vimeo.com/6466880

Do you have a link to the PCA event details?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Driven with my 2007 Z06, then my 2009 CTS-V, then my 2010 ZR1.... http://gallery.lateapex.net/main.php/v/movies/

jas
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the plug Andy! Jim, check out my website, video page. Summit Point National 2009. It's a race so not all the laps are "textbook" lines, but when I am chasing and not battling you will see the fast way around there. A few laps were in the 1:19.4 and change range, close to the T1 record still held by an unrestricted Viper. Not bad for a 370ish RWHP C5!

www.over1g-racing.com

Joe

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 07-01-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Sean -

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Do you have a link to the PCA event details?
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....2B90DCFE05D413

I've chatted with them via email, and their clothing restrictions (ie, long pants required) has turned me off. Reasonable rates for track time though. Sounds like fun.

jas
Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Thanks jas. After I posted the reality set in that after a week off there is no way I can go back to work for two days and then take another two off.

This working thing is really getting in the way of my track time.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
This working thing is really getting in the way of my track time.
Reality sucks, doesn't it? Just think: the more you work, the more fun you can afford to have at the track...

My next Summit terrorizing will be the 20 August date. Come on out!

jas
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by jvp
Reality sucks, doesn't it? Just think: the more you work, the more fun you can afford to have at the track...

My next Summit terrorizing will be the 20 August date. Come on out!

jas
I'll be there on the 20th.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
Sean -

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....2B90DCFE05D413

I've chatted with them via email, and their clothing restrictions (ie, long pants required) has turned me off. Reasonable rates for track time though. Sounds like fun.

jas
Thanks for posting the link I've been at the beach for a few days and completely disconnected for once.

Most groups I've been with require long pants, although my PCA region in FL would ease up when we went to Sebring in June due to extreme heat. (looks like we'll be pretty extreme this week in VA though) So which groups don't require long pants?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Thanks for the plug Andy! Jim, check out my website, video page. Summit Point National 2009. It's a race so not all the laps are "textbook" lines, but when I am chasing and not battling you will see the fast way around there. A few laps were in the 1:19.4 and change range, close to the T1 record still held by an unrestricted Viper. Not bad for a 370ish RWHP C5!

www.over1g-racing.com

Joe
Thanks Joe and good luck at the Glen!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Most groups I've been with require long pants, although my PCA region in FL would ease up when we went to Sebring in June due to extreme heat. (looks like we'll be pretty extreme this week in VA though) So which groups don't require long pants?
BSR, the owners of Summit, don't require long pants for any of their track days. Meaning "Friday at the Track" and the "Seat Time" days.

While Ferrari of Washington was doing their most excellent track days (best ever held at SPR, IMHO), no long pants required unless you were in a race car! If you were in a race car, full Nomex was required.

The requirement for long pants (and long-sleeved shirts) is what's called group-think. It goes something like this: We must reduce the risk of an in-car fire burning the occupant(s). Therefore, we'll require long pants and potentially long-sleeved shirts.

There are, of course, several flaws to this.. um... logic. Note that I'm not arguing with you, mind you. Moreso the people that are guilty of the group-think. :-) Let's enumerate the flaws:

1. Car fires IN STREET CARS are insanely unlikely. Yes, they can happen. And yes, I could get struck by lightning on a sunny, cloudless day. Both could happen. Neither is very likely.

2. A fire in a car is going to absolutely bake off any clothing a person has on, short of full Nomex. So.. um.. why bother? Seriously. Non-fire-retardant clothing isn't going to help one lick.

3. The real flaw in the group-think is the "hot weather" allows. They'll say, "Well, it's really hot today. You can wear a t-shirt." Or, as you pointed out, in FL they may say, "Wow, the heat is intense. Long pants not required." So... if they're not required when it's insanely hot out, why are they required otherwise? Doesn't pass the sniff test.

At the end of the day, I've been tracking my cars for a lonnnnng time. I've seen some scary **** at the track, but I've never once seen a street car catch fire. Further, the heat and humidity in West Virginia can get quite intense during the summer. My comfort is far more important to me than whatever benefits I might gain from running with certain groups.

If groups like to fall in line with the group-think, that's fine. It's their organizations and their rules. I'm not playing by them. :-)

Enjoy your time out there! SPR Main is a fun track.

jas
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, yes it's the main track. I was actually at Shenandoah and Jefferson for my first event this year. Jefferson was a warm-up day then two days at Shenandoah. A lot of guys in the club don't like Shenandoah but I had a blast even though the karussel turn is a little rough on the underside.

Everyone seems to like the main track best so I'm excited about it.

We'll be there next Thursday & Friday July 8-9 & should get a boat load of track time. Not to late to sign up.
I ended up going for it--so I'll see you there. Looks like a hot one--I'll be sure to bring ice again.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I ended up going for it--so I'll see you there. Looks like a hot one--I'll be sure to bring ice again.
Great, see you there! Just finished hooking up the Cool Shirt my wife bought me last year. Probably means we'll have snow or something.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point Videos? RTR PCA HPDE Next week

Quick Reply: Summit Point Videos? RTR PCA HPDE Next week