Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pads for Wilwood superlites, other than Wilwood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pads for Wilwood superlites, other than Wilwood?

So.. I bake their H compound (supposed to be their best for higher temps) to the point where it does not work consistently and pad starts to disintegrate when it's down to about 30%.

Do I have any alternatives? Does Carbotech make XP12s in that shape?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

tuning in as well.....
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Wilwood compounds A & B are more aggressive and generate a lot of heat. However, I recommend you try Cobalt Friction if they have a pad for your specific application. I went to the Cobalt's from Wilwood and they are working great for me. Have no intention of going back. Phone 954.340.2701 or email service@cobaltfriction.com
Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try A
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PFC 01's TRUST me you'll love them...

and theyre only 180ish for the wilwood calipers vs 250ish for the stock c5 calipers.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbotech makes them. Part number is CTW7420. If for DE, you can run enduro compound also. Lasts a good bit longer.

PFC doesnt make the specific shape for the SLs. We have them specially made because the center portion needs to be ground down to fit the bridge bolt. Wally gets them from us

Last edited by magnetic1; 06-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
LS3x416
Advanced

Hawk DTC70s.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had two customers switch to the Hawk DTC-70 as well.
Easier on rotors but they don't last as long as the H's do.
If you look at T1 cars before they could run BBK's it was a push between CarboTech and Hawk, so I'm sure either will hold up to your abuse.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 PM
LS3x416
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

I've had two customers switch to the Hawk DTC-70 as well.
Easier on rotors but they don't last as long as the H's do.
If you look at T1 cars before they could run BBK's it was a push between CarboTech and Hawk, so I'm sure either will hold up to your abuse.
Actually I think the Dtc70s eat rotors up. But they have amazing stopping power. So I use them with Napa disposable rotors!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eogel
However, I recommend you try Cobalt Friction if they have a pad for your specific application.
Cobalt XR2 Carbon-Ceramic for the Wilwood Superlite 20MM is CRB.XR2.WSL/20 $179. Quoted from Cobalt Friction in '08.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Carbotech makes them. Part number is CTW7420. If for DE, you can run enduro compound also. Lasts a good bit longer.

PFC doesnt make the specific shape for the SLs. We have them specially made because the center portion needs to be ground down to fit the bridge bolt. Wally gets them from us
do you know who sells these?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 PM
DMARSHALL100
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by longdaddy
do you know who sells these?

Here is the link for carbotech's website.
http://www.ctbrakes.com/
Call them up and ask for Bill, Jr. He is a huge help. Tell him what calipers you have ( I have the sl-6 ) and he will hook you up. I am running the xp12 on the front and xp 10 on the rear. Also ask for the corvette forum discount. I think around 7% but not sure.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Poly A

But no street driving for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:03 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

to all those suggesting A compound. Naturally, the first option I considered was another wilwood compound.

there is nothing in wilwood specifications that suggests that A would work any better than H for me. I don't care about lower temperature torque.

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl227.pdf

In fact, they say that H is the endurance compound.

Out of all the pads I have ran over the years, Carbotech x12 and Hawk Blue were the only ones that did not significantly degrade as they wore down (I never tried Cobalt pads). Blues are not an option for obvious reasons

I currently run PFC 01 in the rear (stock caliper). I tried them in the front when I used stock calipers and they eventually glazed/started to disintegrate around the edges - so that's not an option for me. They work fine in the back though.

I do not care if the pads "eat rotors". I am actually convinced that the whole "easy on the rotors" deal has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of pad compound and is just a sales pitch that people buy into.

Slowing down the car at the same rate (with different pads) will result in exactly the same energy being put into the rotors as heat. heat is the only thing affecting longevity of our rotors on the track. if you have track rotors that you replace because they get too thin, not because they crack, I am going to call BS.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

The chart and description is a bit misleading. For those who have run both, if you're willing to accept the accelerated rotor wear A is the ultimate in this line. H pad users who have switched can attest to their benefits, but I'm sure there are other brands to consider that offer similar characteristics.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 AM
DMARSHALL100
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DMARSHALL100
Here is the link for carbotech's website.
http://www.ctbrakes.com/
Call them up and ask for Bill, Jr. He is a huge help. Tell him what calipers you have ( I have the sl-6 ) and he will hook you up. I am running the xp12 on the front and xp 10 on the rear. Also ask for the corvette forum discount. I think around 7% but not sure.

My Bad, ask for Mike, Jr.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Longdaddy,
We offer the Wilwood shapes in our new CL Brakes sintered pad line. We have guys running them down to the backing plate, and they all say the pads hold up to the bitter end without a drop off in performance. For your situation, I think the RC8 compound would be most appropriate. That would be a fine match with PFC01 in the back.

We just bought a ton of them, so we were able to get the retail price down to about $192 per set in the Wilwood SL shape. We use this shape for a lot of the Late Model oval track guys, and we'll be using this shape in our new AP Racing competition calipers that were designed as a direct competitor to the Wilwood SL.

You can see customer reviews here.

Please shoot me an email or call 704-824-6030 to discuss. Thanks.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To pads for Wilwood superlites, other than Wilwood?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I started out using the H compound and I was going through about two rotors to one set of pads on the front. I switched to BP-20

My fronts are the SL 4 piston with thermloc pistons and three inch are ducting.

this picture is from a two day event on brand new everything. About two hours of tract time in my 650 hp 3000 lbs Vette. Hoosier 295 R1 front tires. The rotors are burned down to below the slots and you can see how much pad I have left. The 1100 degree paint was burnt.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A compound has same heat charateristics and torque as the H, it just doesn't need the heat to start working. It is stated to be a qualifying pad or for short sprint races where wear is not a concern, but immediate torque is required regardless of heat.

The H pad is known as the endurance pad, so it probably sacrafices some stopping power for longevity, but once the A and H pads get hot, their torque curves are virtually identical. But I am only doing HPDE for 20 minute sessions. If I start to cook or get the oil to hot, I am coming in early. I think the H pad is great and on par with XP12's (used both extensively).

You might be over braking if you are burning up H pads. I beat the crap out of them for 4 strait days and still have plenty of pad life remaining.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

I'll only add that personally I'd not do the BP20s for this. *If they work for the above user that's fine. But they are not a track pad and will break down very rapidly when overheated.

Making them work as stated above and the rapid rate of wear on rotors and pads would signal to me that the combo of driver/track/experience level is not being pushed near to the limits of the envelope. Pad choice has to take many things into consideration.

Quick Reply: pads for Wilwood superlites, other than Wilwood?