Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Engine removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:23 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Z06 Engine removal?

Any one remove the C6-Z06 engine from the top? I have a 4 post lift and want to remove a Z06 engine from the top. If you have or know someone that has please let me know I just need some advance advice. Jim Dillon 772 335 8318 home or PM or Email Thanks!!

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:40 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, C5 Z06 PM sent.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Any one remove the C6-Z06 engine from the top? I have a 4 post lift and want to remove a Z06 engine from the top. If you have or know someone that has please let me know I just need some advance advice. Jim Dillon 772 335 8318 home or PM or Email Thanks!!
I have...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I have...
He's AAAAAAALIVE! Missed you this past weekend at VIR, ole buddy. Saw Tim and company.

JD, why do you need to remove from the top? Need whole engine reworked or just partial? Drivetrain? May be more specifics could help some point you in a good direction. As Jeff said, he has probably removed engines top, bottom and each side. Of course, he has a very capable crew that helps out (sons).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

I ran for 3 days with the PCA event and the car ran great. On the first session of the NCM event when I came in the engine was making a squeaking sound from the left bank, it sounded like #3 valve spring, so I didn't run the rest of the event. When I got home and check under both valve covers there does not seem to be anything wrong. However after checking the oil filter, ther is filings in the filter and on both of the drain plugs. So I'm pretty sure that the engine is going to have to come out for a tear down. Will know more tomorrow. I only have a 4 post lift and I would like to pull the engine myself. Therefore it needs to come out the top. Any help would be welcome. JD
Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran for 3 days with the PCA event and the car ran great. On the first session of the NCM event when I came in the engine was making a squeaking sound from the left bank, it sounded like #3 valve spring, so I didn't run the rest of the event. When I got home and check under both valve covers there does not seem to be anything wrong. However after checking the oil filter, ther is filings in the filter and on both of the drain plugs. So I'm pretty sure that the engine is going to have to come out for a tear down. Will know more tomorrow. I only have a 4 post lift and I would like to pull the engine myself. Therefore it needs to come out the top. Any help would be welcome. JD
JD, is that a Katech motor?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
JD, is that a Katech motor?
Yep!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi JD...sorry about your engine problems. I think it would be easier for you to pull the whole drivetrain out from the bottom. If not, you may have to pull the heads and accessories first so you can get it out of the car.

Tim
Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Hi JD...sorry about your engine problems. I think it would be easier for you to pull the whole drivetrain out from the bottom.
pretty easy to pull it from the bottom w/ a 2 post, basically the reverse of how the car was built.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Hey Guys!!!!!!!! I know the way to do it with a 2 post lift! The question is how to get it out the top with a 4 post lift????? Thanks, JD
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap, not to bum you out, squeaking noise is usually a spun bearing...
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Jim ya still need to get the torque tube/tranny/diff outta the way one could removed them and pull em outta the way then use a cherry picker to remove the motor from the top

car would be sitting on jackstands on the lift then most likely
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it both ways, through the top is the way to go (it will come out in one piece).
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

tranny diff and toruq tube also daniel? crazy would have to have a long shop to pull that one off prolly
Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
tranny diff and toruq tube also daniel? crazy would have to have a long shop to pull that one off prolly

You have to loosen the cradle and you can leave the TT in place to take out the top. I do it with jackstands and cherry picker. cajunvette (sic?) has a good writeup with pics on his website
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Guys!!!!!!!! I know the way to do it with a 2 post lift! The question is how to get it out the top with a 4 post lift????? Thanks, JD
Basically, jack up the car on the (4) post using wood blocks under the jacking points (pucks).

Remove the hood, radiator, etc ... out of the way, disconnect and drain all of the fluids.

Disconnect all of the wirng, hoses, etc ... It helps to have a marker pen and ziplock baggies to mark and label the hardware as you go.

http://www.cajundude.com/engineswap.htm

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Great write up thanks Guys. I think that this is what I was looking for. Will let you know if I decide to do it myself? Going to talk to some local shops today. JD

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Engine removal?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
No, I meant you don't have to take off the heads to get it out, as was mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Jim,

so sad to hear the news...

I had a squeak too in my 454 LS7. turned out to be a failing HS rocker arm(s). Doesn't help you with the drain plug metal parts though unless your Rockers ARE coming apart

For the record I paid about $2K to have the dealer R&R my motor the last 2 times.

If my motor has to come out again....I'm BUYING a 2 post lift ( to go with my 4 post in my third bay) and doing the R&R myself.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

You could drop the motor out the bottom toby rolling a dolly underneath and using the engine hoist to hold it up while you remove the cradle.

I've done them both ways on my (4) post.

Sucks to have motor problems.

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Jim,

so sad to hear the news...

I had a squeak too in my 454 LS7. turned out to be a failing HS rocker arm(s). Doesn't help you with the drain plug metal parts though unless your Rockers ARE coming apart

For the record I paid about $2K to have the dealer R&R my motor the last 2 times.

If my motor has to come out again....I'm BUYING a 2 post lift ( to go with my 4 post in my third bay) and doing the R&R myself.

Quick Reply: Z06 Engine removal?