Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie with racing questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
bp944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with racing questions

I have been spending a bit of time on ls1tech.com but I'm not aiming at drag racing my car so they don't give me all the info I want. I want to put it on a circuit track. So I have some newbie questions. My engine build right now is a torquer v.2 (112), patriot 58cc heads, stock cam, forged +2cc flat top JE pistons, forged rods, ls6 intake, 75mm TB, all in a honed ls1 block. I don't have the valvetrain completely set up, just the dual gold spring .650 that came with the heads. I'm looking for something to run hard on a track but be able to use as a daily driver. What's should I look at for rpm band and rev limit. Would solid lifters be too much hassle for a daily driver? I'm pretty sure the torquer v.2 needs to go since it might be too low end heavy. Would I need to upgrade the intake also? I'm open to any suggestions. Oh and its not actually in a corvette, its in a 1987 porsche 944.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For an open track motor you want reliability over anythign else. You need an exceptional cooling system and a motor that isn't tweaked to within an inch of it's life.

A broad torque curve is preferred, HP at high RPM's is less important. Solid lifters aren't a huge deal, it all depends on how much maintenance you like to do between track events...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
bp944
Intermediate

Where should you want the peat to be at? Do I want it to be on the lower end or high end? Could you show me a good example of the torque curve I should look for? Why do all racing engines rev up to 10,000 if the hp at high rpm doesn't matter? Sorry to rattle of questions but I'm just trying to figure out my engine build.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bp944
Sorry to rattle off questions but I'm just trying to figure out my engine build.
OK. It's more important to well define what you want to do with the car. That will help you define what to do with the engine.

Will it be a daily driver or only used on the track?

What will you be doing when on track - professional racing, amateur racing (SCCA, NASA, etc.), or just Hi-Performance Driving Events?

How much money are you willing to spend on the car initially to get it track ready? How much money and time can you spend periodically over the next year to keep it running? Are you willing to spend money and time to set it up slightly differently for each track, or to have one setup for the street and another one for the track?

Will you be paying all the above costs youself, or will sponsors cover some or most of the expenses?

If you will be racing, do you have a specific race classification you want to run in?

...and several more questions that follow, based on how you answered the above questions.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like an interesting build . Your gonna have to post up some pics .We have a 260 z with an LS motor that is fun to watch at some Midwest Council events , thing flies
Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
bp944
Intermediate

Sorry I didn't clarify. Its going to be a daily driver but I would really like it to be pretty aggressive. I think it will just be Hi-Performance Driving Events for now. I'm a completely newbie that has never set foot on a track and I'd like that to change soon. I grew up in Alaska so there wasn't a whole lot of chances for me to do anything with cars.
As of now, I have all the above parts. I'd like to finish the rest of the engine for around 1.5 grand. I will be paying for all the parts since I doubt I can get anyone to sponsor a 20 year old in a daily driver. ;p
As for the actual car, that's a whole other ball game that I don't want to mess around with until the engine is finished and read to go. On a general note, I would like to get the conversion finished for this car and have it running before I start stripping and rebuilding the car. I do want a car with heating and ac. Power steering in a 2,500lb car isn't necessary. I'll be putting in a roll cage and adding fiberglass panels. Lexan windows since the old ones weigh half a ton. The car stock is just short of 3,000 lbs with the ls1 in it and I'd like to be sitting 200-300 lbs under that.
I don't want to mess around too much with changing between street and track setups. I'm hoping to go with an adjustable suspension setup so I can manage to drive in the midwest and not scrape on speed bumps and pot holes.
I know I'm quite clueless when it comes to most of this so please feel free to be frank. If any of this is unrealistic just tell me so. I'd rather know now then $5,000 down the road.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had some engines built for my drag car. They run good (for a while) and then they need to be rebuilt again . On a roadcourse you will be flogging the engine for hours not minutes like on a dragstrip. Honestly your best bet is to put a crate LS1, LS6, or LS2 into your car and call it a day. It will be a beast with any of those engines in a 2500 lb car and you won't need more power than any of those provide. Put the rest of your money into cooling, suspension, safety, brakes, seats/harnesses, and most importantly seat time. Get some quality instruction early from professional instructors if possible (ie. Bondurant, Spring Mountain, Skip Barber, etc.). Have fun and remember, keep the drivetrain as stock as possible for reliability and you will get more seat time, have more fun, and become a better driver because of it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redtopz
I've had some engines built for my drag car. They run good (for a while) and then they need to be rebuilt again . On a roadcourse you will be flogging the engine for hours not minutes like on a dragstrip. Honestly your best bet is to put a crate LS1, LS6, or LS2 into your car and call it a day. It will be a beast with any of those engines in a 2500 lb car and you won't need more power than any of those provide. Put the rest of your money into cooling, suspension, safety, brakes, seats/harnesses, and most importantly seat time. Get some quality instruction early from professional instructors if possible (ie. Bondurant, Spring Mountain, Skip Barber, etc.). Have fun and remember, keep the drivetrain as stock as possible for reliability and you will get more seat time, have more fun, and become a better driver because of it.
, especially now that I know you'll be using it as a street car with occasional HPDEs.

Don't spend your money adding performance to your car, because you'll find that the car will already be faster than you are. For awhile spend your time and money making you a better driver. (For a year or two, seat time and pro instruction will give you the best speed per dollar results.)

If you need to spend money on the car, then upgrade the brakes first(see Zenak's Stickie above), then the safety equipment (seats, seat belts, HANS, etc.), and then durability items (oil-cooler, accusump, and other stronger parts).

Last edited by bobmoore2; 07-08-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

here's the Sticky, it covers all the basics for C% use in HPDE and most of this also covers C6 with maybe different part #s

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
rstackjd
Drifting

I'm not an engine guy so I'm useless there. But if you are thinking about racing this car (wheel to wheel or auto-cross) I strongly suggest you get the rules for the organization(s) you intend to run with (SCCA, NASA etc) and the class you plan to build for before you spend too much on your engine.

If you're just building a killer street/track day car, then , well, I'm useless!

Have fun!

Last edited by rstackjd; 07-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zenak
here's the Sticky, it covers all the basics for C% use in HPDE and most of this also covers C6 with maybe different part #s

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Excellent sticky along with great people on this site. Grab a drink sit and read a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To newbie with racing questions

Quick Reply: newbie with racing questions