Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seeking clutch recommendations for C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
AjaxVette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seeking clutch recommendations for C5

I wish to gather some info before spending huge quantities of money....AGAIN.

I have a C5 Z06. I use it for HPDE, autocross and ice cream runs. No drag racing.

I currently have a spec2 clutch that basically is crap...and is slipping again. originally it slipped out of the box and it was replaced under warrenty....now it is 2 yrs old and slipping again. It has been an expensive adventure.

Since I have to replace the whole assembly again....I am looking for "what's working" out there. The good, bad and ugly. I would really like longevity and strength.

Thanks a bunch for the insight. I look forward to hearing from everyone before I take the plunge.

AJ
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I really wish tilton made a disc setup that would live on the street and didn't cost $6000
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been pleasantly surpised by McLeod(Mcleodracing.com)
They are known for drag race set ups, but I'm very impressed with how my clutch has performed on the road race circuits here.

I tried mine based on a local Corvette experts advice and it has performed very well. I am running over 500 lb ft of torque at the wheels in one of my cars and the clutch has never been a problem. They are about a third of the price of Spec. The only down side is if you slip the clutch or feather it(like when loading the car on a trailer) it will burn out sooner than a typical street clutch. I run TTU with this car and have never had an issue. Call McLeod and ask them what will work for your application. The one I'm using is listed as Street/Strip. If you are interested I will track down the part number if you PM me.

Cheers,
CV
Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AjaxVette

I have a C5 Z06. I use it for HPDE, autocross and ice cream runs. No drag racing.

I currently have a spec2 clutch that basically is crap...and is slipping again. originally it slipped out of the box and it was replaced under warrenty....now it is 2 yrs old and slipping again. It has been an expensive adventure.

Since I have to replace the whole assembly again....I am looking for "what's working" out there. The good, bad and ugly. I would really like longevity and strength.

Thanks a bunch for the insight. I look forward to hearing from everyone before I take the plunge.

AJ
get a twin disk clutch. macleod makes a good one and so does zoom!

does not slip, does not get hot and they engage like stock ! and..........they last a long time! all the guys in our racing club with bullet proof clutches all use twin disk clutches!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find my $0.02 here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-who-know.html

-TJ
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by rustyguns
get a twin disk clutch. macleod makes a good one and so does zoom!

does not slip, does not get hot and they engage like stock ! and..........they last a long time! all the guys in our racing club with bullet proof clutches all use twin disk clutches!
I recently had a McLeod twin installed after a Centerforce Dualfriction clusterfkuc. Very happy with the McLeod twin, easy to push, easy to modulate on the street...disengages at 6500rpms on the track,

So far, I'm happy...hope it stays that way.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
lbarnard
Racer

For your setup with a stock C5 ZO6 I would go with the LS7 clutch. That clutch will hold up nicely for what you are using it for. Good prices too from our supporting vendors.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call LG motorsports or LPE, vette doctors, ECS, etc. and see what they recommend for your needs. These guys have used them all, they know what works and what is crap.

Last edited by 2K3Z06; 07-08-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree the LS7 clutch is a good deal for the $$$ if you really want to look at twin discs though I would put the RPS Street Twin on your list. I think you will find that many companies are going to the RPS.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

I have heard great things about the RPS twin disc. My buddy just put the twin disc light in his car and loves it. It's a Heads and Cam C5Z that was 400hp/400tq but very manageable on the street.

I went with the light also but my car is not running yet so I can't tell you from experience. It's expensive to begin with (but twin discs are usually expensive) but the RPS can be rebuilt for $400 or $500 I heard.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are tired of screwing around, then consider a Fidanza dual-disc clutch. They are capable of holding up to 900 lb-ft of engine torque. They have smooth engagement, without chatter or squeal.

They come as a clutch-flywheel assembly. It's already balanced. It works with your existing slave cylinder.

I have been driving one for two-years without a problem after suffering through a squealing single disc clutch.

I have also installed two others and both owners are very happy.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
MJM Racing LLC
Advanced

Is that the aluminum flywheel or steel version? If it's the aluminum version, have you had any other issues come up due to the drastically reduced weight?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM Racing LLC
Is that the aluminum flywheel or steel version? If it's the aluminum version, have you had any other issues come up due to the drastically reduced weight?

If you are referring to the Fidanza clutch-flywheel assembly, it uses an aluminum flywheel.

No, there are no issues with the aluminum flywheel. With the added mass of the dual-disc clutch, the aluminum flywheel moves the total mass closer to a single-disc clutch.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Any modifications to the car? From the sound of it a stage 2 12" Monster clutch with 18lb billet flywheel would fit your needs. It comes zero balanced, the pure kevlar engages like stock, it won't eat up power like a heavy ls7 clutch will and allows easier rev matching being lighter than stock, plus costs way less than a twin and are 100% made in America. Feel free to call me at 817-750-2000 if you have any further questions, Chris
Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Any modifications to the car? From the sound of it a stage 2 12" Monster clutch with 18lb billet flywheel would fit your needs. It comes zero balanced, the pure kevlar engages like stock, it won't eat up power like a heavy ls7 clutch will and allows easier rev matching being lighter than stock, plus costs way less than a twin and are 100% made in America. Feel free to call me at 817-750-2000 if you have any further questions, Chris
I found this on Monster's site under more info about the level 2.
"This clutch is rated at 525hp/tq. It will take a beating on the street but is not designed nor intended for prolonged racing. The organic material on the flywheel side lacks the proper coefficient of friction to take a beating at the track. This clutch should be used predominantly on the street with only a handful of track outings a year."
Are they talking about drag racing? Or prolonged meaning road racing?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by AjaxVette

AJ

Well there are a few things to look at, especially when selecting the right clutch for your car and application.

1. How much power does the car make? Most importantly, how much torque.

2. How is the car used?

3. What are your expectations on how the clutch should drive for you.

That is going to help a lot in selecting a clutch.

In all most all situations a lighter clutch is going to prove to give you a faster car. There are a few when this is not the case in drag racing but for a road race car lighter is going to be better.

Diameter also plays a big role. Unlike your brake rotors you can stack plates on a clutch and get more surface area and actually reduce the diameter of the clutch. This allows the engine to rev faster.

There are tons of selections out there, depends on what you would like to do. I would be more than happy to go over all of your options from OE to Tilton.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Anthony, I'm not in the market yet, but was wondering if tilton makes a clutch that will work on the street? I note that their cerametallic discs are rated to be run on the street, but they don't seem to offer that disc in the c5/c6 clutches. Any ideas?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Anthony, I'm not in the market yet, but was wondering if tilton makes a clutch that will work on the street? I note that their cerametallic discs are rated to be run on the street, but they don't seem to offer that disc in the c5/c6 clutches. Any ideas?
See your PM's.

Tilton does have some clutches that could, but they are all sold as race car pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To seeking clutch recommendations for C5

Quick Reply: seeking clutch recommendations for C5