Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 engine oil cooler

Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 AM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 engine oil cooler

Since alot of C6 parts fit the C5, can the C6Z EOC be installed on a C5Z or is the design specific to the C6 body and LS7 engine? Any info would be appreciated. Edit: Or would the Z51 setup work better lacking the dry sump connections.

Last edited by C5_Z06; 07-10-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

should work fine. the mounts for the cooler itself might need some fabrication. but the fitting for the engine and the hard lines will bolt right up!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Thanks for the input! Have you done this conversion yourself on a C5?

The lines should be the to be the Z51 lines I guess? Any pics of lines and cooler mounted on a car?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Actuall i did on my C6 and Z06 C5 pics are hard to come by as it's tight in there. the lines the same for either cooler just a bigger cooler for the Z06.
You will have to loosen the left motor mount and jack the engine up a bit to get the lines in
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Excellent info. Any issues with routing the lines through the radiator shroud? Does the cooler (Z06) it self fit ok in the C5 opening? I know you have to make holes for the lines and it's not a true bolt on affair, but I was thinking in general. Length and shape of lines, size of cooler and so on.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As an alternative, there are several kits available from forum vendors that include the cooler, braided SS lines, brackets and engine connection adaptor. It makes it a bunch easier if you can have everything available rather than trying to chase down a lot of different parts from various sources. I used the Doug Rippie kit and it bolted right up without problems. My oil temps dropped from 280's down to the 240's on a 100 Degree ambient temperature day in August.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, I've found the dewitts drop in radiator with built in oil cooler to cool the water well, but the oil still gets hot. I'm currently building what should be the end all in cooling. The radiator actually costs less than a dewitts (way less than a RD) and the oil cooler is about $450. In addition, the radiator is a double pass and has slightly wider rows so it should cool a bit better. Were this going in a track only/race car I would choose an even wider radiator, maybe even a taller one as well, and lay it forward. Of course, I've had to do a lot of custom fab work, but I had to do that anyway and its something I happen to do quite a bit of on my own. The single fan and oil/water heat exchanger frees up a lot of room behind the radiator (I'm still running an a/c condeser) so air flow restriction is kept to a minimum. Only testing will verify if the single fan is enough for traffic conditions. On the track however a fan is not even necessary. Actually, its a restriction.
Anyway, just another option.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
C5_Z06
Instructor

A little background, my car is weekend toy and I spend maybe 80% of the time doing "spirited" street driving and 20% of the time on the track. The stock C5 non cooled system is ok on the street, if you keep the revs down. Even at prolonged highway driving at 120-150 mph it seems ok, I guees it's due to the long 6th gear.

At the track I can do maybe 15 minutes before the engine oil temperature goes critical. For example at Nürburgring I can only do one lap before I need to pit or reduce the revs, and that's no fun in the long run.

I like the idea of using OEM parts to avoid any issues with aftermarket "high performance" kits aimed for racing. Since I also use the car for longer roadtrips I don't want to spend half the time checking that all bolt on parts are ok. I'm sorry to say that atleast sofar my experience is that OEM parts tend to have a bit more enginering invested in testing to assure a long trouble free life.

As of now I plan to purchase the C6Z06 setup. Obviousely If anybody has more input doing this retrofit into a C5 it would be great!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
As an alternative, there are several kits available from forum vendors that include the cooler, braided SS lines, brackets and engine connection adaptor. It makes it a bunch easier if you can have everything available rather than trying to chase down a lot of different parts from various sources. I used the Doug Rippie kit and it bolted right up without problems. My oil temps dropped from 280's down to the 240's on a 100 Degree ambient temperature day in August.
That is what we like to see for Oil temps I'm glad it worked well for you!

Randy
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
FWIW, I've found the dewitts drop in radiator with built in oil cooler to cool the water well, but the oil still gets hot. I'm currently building what should be the end all in cooling. The radiator actually costs less than a dewitts (way less than a RD) and the oil cooler is about $450.
FWIW the Ron Davis units aren't too expensive - if you buy just a plain jane radiator. All the tabs and holders and CRAP that hangs off our radiators is what drives the price up. Those bits are all CNC'd, then TIG welded by hand on.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
That is what we like to see for Oil temps I'm glad it worked well for you!

Randy
I really like this kit too. I just ran on record (101 & 97 F) day heat at Summit and hit 266 max for most runs, 271 once. This was running very hard in White (intermediate solo) group. Another Z06 driven by an insructor (now he runs 3rd gear for a little longer than I do) hit 309. I would not bother w/the OE solution.

Andy
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mgarfias
FWIW the Ron Davis units aren't too expensive - if you buy just a plain jane radiator. All the tabs and holders and CRAP that hangs off our radiators is what drives the price up. Those bits are all CNC'd, then TIG welded by hand on.
The price for a RD VS Dewitts are pretty damn close. Well actually RD is less because you don't have to redo it.

Randy
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be nice to live in Europe where you can get on the main roads and let the car really go. Not to mention Nurberg. I'm very jealous.
I run a DRM oil cooler and it works very well. Were I to live where you are, I'd get a Ron Davis radiator too. One good reason for that is with the stock mounting position for the DRM cooler, the oil will heat up your radiator. That's not a big deal with the Ron Davis unit, but with the stock rad and so forth, it can get pretty warm. Do them both, and don't mess with the stock unit would be my advice.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

This is our most popular cooling setup out there. It's like killing two birds with one stone. Takes care of the water and oil temps all with one easy to install and live with kits. http://dougrippie.com/?p=834

Thanks
Randy
Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Must be nice to live in Europe where you can get on the main roads and let the car really go. Not to mention Nurberg.
You can only do that in Germany btw. Don't try it elsewhere.

This is our most popular cooling setup out there. It's like killing two birds with one stone. Takes care of the water and oil temps all with one easy to install and live with kits. http://dougrippie.com/?p=834

Thanks
Randy
Looks nice. Does it include a thermostat for the oil? Has the OEM oil cooler setup a thermostat?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C5_Z06
Looks nice. Does it include a thermostat for the oil? Has the OEM oil cooler setup a thermostat?
No oil t-stat. The factory setup doesn't have one either.

Randy
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Considering all the time I've spent building all the mounts, etc. for my radiator all the drop in ones are a steal, but for those who have the ability and time to do the work a much better solution can be had. RD makes great stuff. I have three of thier "nascar" style radiators with built in oil coolers. They each retail for a grand or more with no mounts, tabs, etc. Similar radiators from other, very reputable, mfgs. seem to always cost less. I've never used a laminova cooler before but according to the information I have it can cool much better than any of the built in oil coolers commonly available considering it's size. I'll have to wait until I get the car back together to test that. One of the many nice features of the laminova is its rebuildable and separtes the oil cooling from the water cooling which keeps costs down if a motor ever blows. I'm not bashing RD in any way. Thier work is excellent.
That all being said, I think next time around I will just buy a core and build the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 engine oil cooler

Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 AM
C5_Z06
Instructor

C5 vs C6 oil temp sensor. The C5 has the oil temp sensor right above the oil filter (where you attach the lines), right? Where is it located on the C6 Z51 and Z06?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5_Z06
C5 vs C6 oil temp sensor. The C5 has the oil temp sensor right above the oil filter (where you attach the lines), right? Where is it located on the C6 Z51 and Z06?
on a C6 it's in the pan, so no fitting for it on a C5 may be use the galley plug on the left side of the block near the alternator or drill & tap the pan. adapters for aftermarket such as Dewitts have an adapter with all the fittings maybe that is the best way to go on a C5

Last edited by ErnieN85; 07-13-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

The price for a RD VS Dewitts are pretty damn close. Well actually RD is less because you don't have to redo it. Randy
Shame on you Randy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 engine oil cooler