Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone HPDE/roadracers around the Houston Area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Anyone HPDE/roadracers around the Houston Area?

Just looking to see if anyone on the forum is from the Houston Texas area that regularly attends HPDE/Track events. I just moved to the area about .5 months ago and haven't really come across anyone yet who actually tracks their car. I also haven't had time to trailer my cars down so I am extremely bored, and would be more than willing to be an extra set of hands in the garage or at the track.

So who is from the area, where do you typically go to run/how often?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Houston, there is a group of guys that do HPDE thru out the year and they are affliated with the San Jacinto Corvette Club
( www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.org ) Not much this time of year, you may have noticed the heat going around. But in that group there is some HPDE'ers that stay somewhat busy.
We have a 1/2 track day at Texas World Speedwy scheduled for fri 7-23 right now, for advanced drivers only. Sat and sun (24th and 25th) TWS is having an open track weekend with instructors etc. Some of our gang is doing sat. Great track, we've been at quite a few tracks in Tx, Ok area and TWS remains one of our favorites.
We meet first fri of month and has about 280 members, lots going on, mostly soc events right now. We are the only club that's NCCC in area. call me or e-mail me at chucky713@aol.com for more info ( I don't get on CF to often)
Chuck Holden 832-640-7006
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw that you live in spring area, so do I, we'll have to get together. AND you'd like to help me work on my car? mmmmmmmmmm I can see this is gonna work out!!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Very cool, thanks for the info. Depending on my work schedule, I would definitely be interested in coming up to spectate at the TWS event.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 PM
maw455
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Chuck's the man who's always looking for an excuse to track his vette (or any other car for that matter). I half expect him to show up at an event in only his RV! Take a look at SJCC - if you get involved, there is, as Chuck said, a group of us that love to go to the track whenever we can. Seems like I get at least one email every couple of weeks about an event someplace. Anyway, welcome to Houston!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
airspeed247
Instructor

I'll be heading back to Houston myself after I ETS in October so thanks for the info guys and thanks OP for starting this thread.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Great, once I get the car down here and ready for the track again I will definitely try to attend some meetings and events.

For those of you from the area, do you know anywhere/anyone that I can rent an open deck trailer from to tow my Z from Indiana with? I have found a few places, but would like to know if there is somewhere local that rents well maintained units as the ones I have found so far have been average at best and not something that I want to tow 1100 miles with. If you know of someone willing to rent a personal unit that would be even sweeter.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I do the HPDE's at TWS as often as possible, and I have a friend who takes me as a guest to Motorsport Ranch occasionally. TWS is a great track. We locals are very fortunate to have a track of this caliber so close by. Ive only had my C5Z out twice since I purchased it - second time out it broke. I cant wait for the new motor to be complete (LS2 stroker), and for Fall to arrive. Im itching to rock-and roll. Ive got to look up the guys with San Jacinto - sounds like a fun group.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
I do the HPDE's at TWS as often as possible, and I have a friend who takes me as a guest to Motorsport Ranch occasionally. TWS is a great track. We locals are very fortunate to have a track of this caliber so close by. Ive only had my C5Z out twice since I purchased it - second time out it broke. I cant wait for the new motor to be complete (LS2 stroker), and for Fall to arrive. Im itching to rock-and roll. Ive got to look up the guys with San Jacinto - sounds like a fun group.

Glad to see another local who tracks. What happened to your z? What year was it?

How often does TWS have HPDE days and what groups are good to run with there?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive got an 03. Timing chain broke - major destruction.
There are alot of groups to hook-up with at TWS. Drivers Edge, local porsche guys, Ford SVT Club to name a few. For me, I go with the TWS PDS (Performance Driving School). It's more or less the track management organized HPDE. Four run groups. Typically 4 or 5 20 min sessions each day. Check it out here http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 07-11-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MSR-Houston is a great track. Lots of elevation change is about the only thing it's missing. (That and an ultra long straightaway, which I don't want/like anyway.) There's actually an HPDE event there in August, with a club that also uses Harris Hill Road, MSR-Cresson, TWS, and Eagle's Canyon. All great tracks.

Grand Sport Speedway was a lot of fun, I thought. There's a club that has at least one day a month, usually a lot more. I don't see it mentioned much, but it shouldn't be overlooked. It's especially nice in that it hosts a lot of 1-day events, which is great for when you can't afford to take a whole weekend.

The PCA and BMWCCA hold HPDEs, as does NASA. NASA holds TTs at TWS, as well.

I attended an event held by the SJCC at Grand Sport Speedway back in 2008. I thought it was great, and the people and atmosphere were fantastic. I'd go to more if I knew about them, I can't find any track events when I look at their online calendar.

If you like to autocross, there's the SCCA, BMWCCA, and PCA. (I think the latter two are often merged.) The SCCA usually races in the parking lot at Gulf Greyhound Park, but in August they're using Grand Sport Speedway. The other clubs seem to use the Houston Police Academy site. (Be warned if you go there, the surface is incredibly abrasive, and you'll get about double the usual tire wear.)

All put together, there are more opportunities for seat time than I'm able to take advantage of. A lot more. Tires, brakes, hubs, trailer rentals, etc, can take their toll!

-michael
Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you from Texas originally and just moving to Houston? If you are new to Texas, there are actually lots of tracks within a resonable drive.

You've already hear about TWS and MSR Houston. Harris Hill is just south of Austin. If you are willing to drive a little further there are two nice tracks near Dallas/Fort Worth - MSR Cresson and Eagles Canyon.

I run now primarily with NASA but started with The Drivers Edge. Nothing but good things to say about Rick and the whole TDE crew. Great group to run with if you are looking to learn a new track.

Since TWS is so close i have a tendancy to look for opportunities there. Viper Days heads there once a year and there is even a good TWS motorsports club that does both test and tune days as well as open track weekends. Misty does a good job of keeping their calendar up to date on their website.

John
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSR
MSR-Houston is a great track. Lots of elevation change is about the only thing it's missing. (That and an ultra long straightaway, which I don't want/like anyway.) There's actually an HPDE event there in August, with a club that also uses Harris Hill Road, MSR-Cresson, TWS, and Eagle's Canyon. All great tracks.

Grand Sport Speedway was a lot of fun, I thought. There's a club that has at least one day a month, usually a lot more. I don't see it mentioned much, but it shouldn't be overlooked. It's especially nice in that it hosts a lot of 1-day events, which is great for when you can't afford to take a whole weekend.

The PCA and BMWCCA hold HPDEs, as does NASA. NASA holds TTs at TWS, as well.

I attended an event held by the SJCC at Grand Sport Speedway back in 2008. I thought it was great, and the people and atmosphere were fantastic. I'd go to more if I knew about them, I can't find any track events when I look at their online calendar.

If you like to autocross, there's the SCCA, BMWCCA, and PCA. (I think the latter two are often merged.) The SCCA usually races in the parking lot at Gulf Greyhound Park, but in August they're using Grand Sport Speedway. The other clubs seem to use the Houston Police Academy site. (Be warned if you go there, the surface is incredibly abrasive, and you'll get about double the usual tire wear.)

All put together, there are more opportunities for seat time than I'm able to take advantage of. A lot more. Tires, brakes, hubs, trailer rentals, etc, can take their toll!

-michael
Thanks for the info, where do you rent trailers from?

Originally Posted by JohnD60
Are you from Texas originally and just moving to Houston? If you are new to Texas, there are actually lots of tracks within a resonable drive.

You've already hear about TWS and MSR Houston. Harris Hill is just south of Austin. If you are willing to drive a little further there are two nice tracks near Dallas/Fort Worth - MSR Cresson and Eagles Canyon.

I run now primarily with NASA but started with The Drivers Edge. Nothing but good things to say about Rick and the whole TDE crew. Great group to run with if you are looking to learn a new track.

Since TWS is so close i have a tendancy to look for opportunities there. Viper Days heads there once a year and there is even a good TWS motorsports club that does both test and tune days as well as open track weekends. Misty does a good job of keeping their calendar up to date on their website.

John
I just moved here, sounds like there are a lot of great tracks in the area. Does the TWS motorsports club have a website/calendar?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM
maw455
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

-michael
The SJCC calendar generally only lists NCCC Auto-X events with SJCC and other clubs throughout the SW Region of NCCC, which is primarily Texas and Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure that was our event that you attended at Grand Sport last year. The rest of the stuff our group does is not an "official" club event, but just a group of folks that like to run together. Send Chuck an email (see prior reply above to OP) and I'll bet he can get you on the "list".

Last edited by maw455; 07-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stevensa

I just moved here, sounds like there are a lot of great tracks in the area. Does the TWS motorsports club have a website/calendar?

TWS website http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/

Schedule TWS club events via http://www.clubregistration.net/
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Come on out and play! I belong to the SJCC group and as Chuck said, we have a GOOD time! Come up to TWS on the 23 and shake hands! Hope to see you there.
Bill
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been trying to get out with my Z (so far have only tracked it in Brownsville while visiting a CF friend who's now gone Canuck on me). I work on cars at MSR periodically and worked/drove at TWS a lot a few years back. Lots of great tracks in the area, and there are events going on all the time. Coming from Indiana, the one thing I will warn against is be aware of high engine and brake temps down here during the summer.

I do have an open deck trailer that I had custom built last year with 2-piece ramps extending a total of 10' (I can drive the Z up on it with no 2x10s, no tongue jacking, etc). We may be able to discuss, but you'll want a diesel to tow it because it's heavy (24' deck - there's a big toolbox on the front and a tire rack behind that for 18' clear).

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone HPDE/roadracers around the Houston Area?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
I've been trying to get out with my Z (so far have only tracked it in Brownsville while visiting a CF friend who's now gone Canuck on me). I work on cars at MSR periodically and worked/drove at TWS a lot a few years back. Lots of great tracks in the area, and there are events going on all the time. Coming from Indiana, the one thing I will warn against is be aware of high engine and brake temps down here during the summer.

I do have an open deck trailer that I had custom built last year with 2-piece ramps extending a total of 10' (I can drive the Z up on it with no 2x10s, no tongue jacking, etc). We may be able to discuss, but you'll want a diesel to tow it because it's heavy (24' deck - there's a big toolbox on the front and a tire rack behind that for 18' clear).
Thanks for the advice, once I get the car down here and start prepping it for the track again an oil cooler and larger radiator are definitely on order.

As for the trailer, how much does it weight? I just bought a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3 and it is rated for just under 10k. I would prefer to just pull with that if possible. If you are willing to rent it to a stranger that would be greatly appreciated. I have found a few local places that rent units, but they tend to not be maintained at a level I am comfortable with towing over 1000 miles.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent you a PM, realized I forgot to put my phone number in it, sent another, but now your inbox is full!

Anyway, call me this week. 832-247-6671. John
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Sent you a PM, realized I forgot to put my phone number in it, sent another, but now your inbox is full!

Anyway, call me this week. 832-247-6671. John
Oops sorry about that, just cleared out some space and sent you a reply!

Quick Reply: Anyone HPDE/roadracers around the Houston Area?