Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gopro test video

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Gopro test video

This is not track video. It is a quick run around the block at home just to see if there is stability and a decent viewing angle. I decided to mount it to the inside of the windshield behind the right half of the review mirror. I think its good enough.

Since the camera is mounted upside down I had to use Quicktime to invert the image. When I save the native MP4 Quicktime is converting it to .MOV ...... I think I am losing some quality but not sure. Does anyone have advise on this.

The biggest issue I see is that when I am driving straight into the sun I am getting a reflection of the dash. Is there a solution to this? I am using the setting GOPRO suggests for shooting from within a car. But maybe since the camera is only a couple of inches from the windshield this is not the best setting.

I do hear the clicking that others have mentioned. But it really doesn't bother me.

Please no comments about the music ..... I turned it off as soon as I noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct_znyOg1-U

*** THE VIDEO LOOKS LIKE **** ON UTUBE IN FULL SCREEN MODE -- ADVISE ??!! ***

DH
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
This is not track video. It is a quick run around the block at home just to see if there is stability and a decent viewing angle. I decided to mount it to the inside of the windshield behind the right half of the review mirror. I think its good enough.

Since the camera is mounted upside down I had to use Quicktime to invert the image. When I save the native MP4 Quicktime is converting it to .MOV ...... I think I am losing some quality but not sure. Does anyone have advise on this.

The biggest issue I see is that when I am driving straight into the sun I am getting a reflection of the dash. Is there a solution to this? I am using the setting GOPRO suggests for shooting from within a car. But maybe since the camera is only a couple of inches from the windshield this is not the best setting.

I do hear the clicking that others have mentioned. But it really doesn't bother me.

Please no comments about the music ..... I turned it off as soon as I noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct_znyOg1-U

*** THE VIDEO LOOKS LIKE **** ON UTUBE IN FULL SCREEN MODE -- ADVISE ??!! ***

DH

You can tell the GoPro to record the video inverted.

The GoPro camera has a setting in the camera to flip the picture upside down.
After you turn the camera on
Press the silver button on the front of the camera until you see SEt in the LCD window.
Then hit the Shutter button (top button) to toggle through the different settings. Stop when you see either UP or UPd in the window. This is where you tell the camera to shoot rightside up (UP) or upside down (UPd). To switch between UP & UPd, hit the front Silver button to toggle back and forth.
SO, when hanging the camera as you did you want it to be in the UPd mode.

Once you've shot the video in the wrong mode, then you have to flip it after the fact as you did.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glennm27
You can tell the GoPro to record the video inverted.

The GoPro camera has a setting in the camera to flip the picture upside down.
After you turn the camera on
Press the silver button on the front of the camera until you see SEt in the LCD window.
Then hit the Shutter button (top button) to toggle through the different settings. Stop when you see either UP or UPd in the window. This is where you tell the camera to shoot rightside up (UP) or upside down (UPd). To switch between UP & UPd, hit the front Silver button to toggle back and forth.
SO, when hanging the camera as you did you want it to be in the UPd mode.

Once you've shot the video in the wrong mode, then you have to flip it after the fact as you did.
The GoProHD is the one I have. And this feature is not yet available. Their website indicates that they are working on a release for this feature.

Where do you mount yours?

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am really liking this angle. Do you mind taking a pic of the setup mounted in the car?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I am really liking this angle. Do you mind taking a pic of the setup mounted in the car?
Thanks!! I will do it tomorrow for you.

I just figured out how to keep the video in the native GoPro MP4 format using QuickTime. I am uploading it right now to see if it looks better on Youtube ......

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Threshold
Marc are you LAFWY on YouTube ??

If so I think the wide angle on this lens is going give me a real good look at the point by your going to be giving me next time out

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc are you LAFWY on YouTube ??DH
Exacto

If so I think the wide angle on this lens is going give me a real good look at the point by your going to be giving me next time out

DH
I Don't think so not with my new bolt on
Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Weren't you using the Flip for awhile? Didn't like it?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Weren't you using the Flip for awhile? Didn't like it?
The Flip just didn't cut it. I had it taped to my passenger seat and it couldn't handle the shaking.

Here is the MP4 loaded up to Vimeo. I think its much clearer in the Full screen mode than the Youtube version.

http://vimeo.com/13426228

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Threshold
Exacto

I Don't think so not with my new bolt on
What you bolted on a wing and painted your car Fast Red ??

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

The GoProHD is the one I have. And this feature is not yet available. Their website indicates that they are working on a release for this feature.
DH
I've been using the non HD GoPros for couple years and just bought an HD version last week. Haven't used the HD yet BUT I bought it after seen my buddy use on at VIR a couple weeks ago. He WAS able to turn the video UPd in th ecamera. Maybe they have th epatch ready now??? I'll chack tonight, right now I'm ready to head out the door to NJMP for the GrandAm race.

Where do you mount yours?

DH
I mount mine very close to where yours is. I use an adhesive mount and have it directly under the adhesive mount for the rearview mirror, so it's close to the driver that yours is. Dead center in the windshield.

I've had it other places to but this oone is nice. I've also mounted on in the front facia in the lower opening (about 7 inches off the ground.)

My buddy had his on th ewindshield also, close to where you were because he used the suction mount...

Here is a link to his video from VIR with teh GoPro HD. He had the camera on the suction mount and pointing down to keep it out of the way until they got moving...

As a side note, watch how the driver puts on his seatbelt. THIS is how to use a street car seatbelt to it's fullest. THIS is the way to do it.

Click here for video ====> 3 laps of VIR witha GoProHD
Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howie,

Vimeo allows much bigger videos to be posted than Youtube. They even allow HD videos.

Matt
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. I like this much better than mounting it on the harness bar. I played around with this but couldn't figure out how to use the windshield mount without getting the camera upside down. A pic would be appreciated.

Thanks!! I will do it tomorrow for you.

I just figured out how to keep the video in the native GoPro MP4 format using QuickTime. I am uploading it right now to see if it looks better on Youtube ......

DH
Are those Hawk pads I can hear squealing in the background? Hope they are working out for you. I just got the same camera and took some video from the NCM event at VIR. I haven't taken the time to figure out the most efficient way to edit and process yet. I converted the MP4 files to WMV files and then used Windows Movie Maker to edit but this took forever because I had to convert a lot of footage that I didn't really want. If you figure out a shortcut please fill me in. Do you purchase Quicktime or is it free? Did you figure out a way to invert the video?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:46 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Howie, I thought you were using the Lumix? I bought one back when you had a thread on them? And it takes great video's? JD
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here are pics of the install location. As you can see from the one I took while seated in the drivers seat .... it does not obstruct your view at all !!
Takes a few seconds to install

Only thing I don't like is that from the outside you see the white adhesive.

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I've been using the non HD GoPros for couple years and just bought an HD version last week. Haven't used the HD yet BUT I bought it after seen my buddy use on at VIR a couple weeks ago. He WAS able to turn the video UPd in th ecamera. Maybe they have th epatch ready now??? I'll chack tonight, right now I'm ready to head out the door to NJMP for the GrandAm race.

I mount mine very close to where yours is. I use an adhesive mount and have it directly under the adhesive mount for the rearview mirror, so it's close to the driver that yours is. Dead center in the windshield.

I've had it other places to but this oone is nice. I've also mounted on in the front facia in the lower opening (about 7 inches off the ground.)

My buddy had his on th ewindshield also, close to where you were because he used the suction mount...

Here is a link to his video from VIR with teh GoPro HD. He had the camera on the suction mount and pointing down to keep it out of the way until they got moving...

As a side note, watch how the driver puts on his seatbelt. THIS is how to use a street car seatbelt to it's fullest. THIS is the way to do it.

Click here for video ====> 3 laps of VIR witha GoProHD
Ha .... thanks and I didn't want to mess with suction cup. Man I just bought the camera and I checked their website last nite and it still says ..."thanks for your patience"

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Gopro test video

Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MJM
Howie,

Vimeo allows much bigger videos to be posted than Youtube. They even allow HD videos.

Matt
Matt

I looked very closely and Vimeo is definitely more clear. They must not compress the same as YouTube.

You can only do 1 HD a week unless you pay ....

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcar00
I agree. I like this much better than mounting it on the harness bar. I played around with this but couldn't figure out how to use the windshield mount without getting the camera upside down. A pic would be appreciated.

Are those Hawk pads I can hear squealing in the background? Hope they are working out for you. I just got the same camera and took some video from the NCM event at VIR. I haven't taken the time to figure out the most efficient way to edit and process yet. I converted the MP4 files to WMV files and then used Windows Movie Maker to edit but this took forever because I had to convert a lot of footage that I didn't really want. If you figure out a shortcut please fill me in. Do you purchase Quicktime or is it free? Did you figure out a way to invert the video?
The camera is upside down. I used QT Pro to invert it.

Those are stock pads .... too much easy freeway driving on them

DH
Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Hey Howie, I thought you were using the Lumix? I bought one back when you had a thread on them? And it takes great video's? JD
The Luminex was great but it started to become unreliable ... never knew when it was going to work. And the picture started to become unstable do to the internal stability motor craping out ..... I was told this would eventually happen.

DH

Quick Reply: Gopro test video