Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Price Increase Aug 1st

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AMSOIL Price Increase Aug 1st

Following the rest of the oil industry, AMSOIL will increase prices about 3-6% across its lubricant line on Aug 1st. If you are an AMSOIL user or are considering AMSOIL, picking some up before Aug 1st would save you a little bit.

As always, I'm more than happy to ensure forum members can get AMSOIL at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

Special note: I'll be unable to access the forum from the 26th to the end of the month. So if you like to contact me about pricing or the Preferred Customer Program, I'd appreciate it if you contacted me before the 26th.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
buster710
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi subdriver. Does Amsoil plan on upgraded their product comparison testing? Pennzoil is using the Seq IIIG test for wear performance, while Amsoil is using a test (4-ball wear) that has nothing to do with an actual engine. I'm hoping they update their marketing a bit. Some of these new oils have caught up to Amsoil is looks like.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by buster710
Hi subdriver. Does Amsoil plan on upgraded their product comparison testing? Pennzoil is using the Seq IIIG test for wear performance, while Amsoil is using a test (4-ball wear) that has nothing to do with an actual engine. I'm hoping they update their marketing a bit. Some of these new oils have caught up to Amsoil is looks like.
Don't know what their plans are, but will suggest this to them. Using the Seq III test is not totally new to them as they ran their main SAE 10w30 against the previous version of this standard, but for triple the required length, so they may be receptive:
AMSOIL SAE 10w30 Seq IIIF Testing

I know the 4-***** test doesn't get much credibility for motor oils, but in my opinion, I think that there is a fairly good correlation to low 4-***** wear results and the wear results of the used oil analysis tests I see on the oil forums. Totally unscientific and just a gut feel on my part.

As for the catching up, I somewhat agree. The latest API standards tightened the requirements forcing most oils to get better while providing limits on the ZDDP allowed for those that wanted to use more. The overall effect is probably a reduction in performance gap between the best and worst of oils on the market. The other effect might be gradual improvements in Group III synthetics (highly hydrocracked mineral oil allowed to be marketed by the API as synthetic) that close the gap to Group IV PAO basestock synthetics.

What you don't see much in motor oil testing is viscosity shear and for a track car I think that is very important. I am somewhat extrapolating performance from AMSOIL's motorcycle and gear lube testing, but there are many many lubricants on the market in those areas that perform very poorly in shear stability. In this area the Group IV basestock performs very well. For a track driven car, I'd rather have a Group IV (rather than Group III) basestock fluid in my engine.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL Price Increase Aug 1st

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Price Increase Aug 1st