Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WC Cragar Corvette at Road America this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default WC Cragar Corvette at Road America this weekend

I was at Road America on Saturday for the Summer Vintage racing event, and saw the yellow Cragar WC Corvette (w/ Ron Fellows' name on it) in the paddock. It was racing in class with some older ALMS GT2 P-cars. (I was actually surprised to see cars this "new" at a "vintage" event)

Did that team drop out of WC? Seems odd they would be running the car at Road America when WC was at Toronto if they were still in the series.

Great day for racing, a little warm, but some good racing. Not as many vintage Corvettes as I've seen in the past though.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Fisch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Ron Fellows only had a 3 race deal for this season with the Cragar Corvette team (he won two of those). I was told the team was at Road America to get some track time for the other driver. I can not say for sure why they did not enter the Toronto race but if I had to guess the team never intended to run every event this season. With more than one driver a championship season would be pretty much impossible?

Fisch
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM
DaBullish1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The second poster is correct, Ron Fellows had a 3 race contract and that has been completed. Comeptition Race Parts, the team owner, had two intentions for Road America. The first was to get their 2nd driver seat time for the balance of the season. The second was to support their sponsor (Cragar) and get the 1969 Cragar Camaro on the track. The Camaro was somewhat finished being built but was not adequately tested and shaken down for race competition. As things turned out Brian Kubinski, the second driver, had a family emergency and had to go home before the race. So Dave Roberts, the CEO of Carlisle Industries (Corporate parent of Cragar Wheels?), who intended to drive the Camaro stepped in to drive the Vette. Dave owns the Camaro and the Blackrock Porsche 944 that ran at Road America and both cars finished first in their class. I think he had a friend drive the Porsche since he was busy with the Vette.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Fisch
Intermediate

Good for Dave! I work for one of the other companies that like Cragar Wheels is owned by Carlisle Companies. I wish I could have made it to the track last weekednd. Maybe Dave will be driving the Vette now at Mid Ohio in the WC race? I'm sorry to hear the Camaro did not get done in time for Road America. The pictures I have of both the design concept and the car as it was almost done look really cool - it is a replica (with reverse paint scheme) of the Penske SCCA Trans Am Camaro that Make Donahue drove! Can it get any better than that?

Fisch
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the details.

Only saw a few pictures of the car and never saw any of the races.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Group 10 is kinda like the run what you brung type of a class.

Randy
Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Group 10 is kinda like the run what you brung type of a class.

Randy
Often see some neat cars in those kind of classes.

Get notified of new replies

To WC Cragar Corvette at Road America this weekend

Quick Reply: WC Cragar Corvette at Road America this weekend