Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got schooled last weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I got schooled last weekend!

I've been autocrossing for 3 years. I bought a new (2009) Z06 because I was spending a lot of money modding in ESP and wanted to race a fast car but stay in the "cheaper" and more reliable Stock class.

I've been doing fine so far this year but knew there was more in the car than I was getting out of it. So I let our two most experienced drivers in the club drive my car for a few runs this weekend. They blew me away. One of them was a second faster than my best time the first time he drove my car. At the end of the day he was 1.5 seconds faster than me on a 39 second auto-x course.

That said, I was still faster than almost all the other cars, with the exception of a couple of Prepared cars and those dang Miatas.

What I learned: There's no point spending $$$ on aftermarket shocks, cat-back, or any other allowable stock class changes until I'm a lot closer to our best drivers when they take my car out. There's at least 1.5 seconds out there to be had for free!

I just wish I'd had a Traq-Mate or other data logger so I could see better what they were doing in my car that I wasn't.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

It seems other people are often faster in your car - not you per-say anybody's. BUt I agree there will be a great deal of time to be had once you get accustomed to the torque and braking of you "new" ride.
Mike
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,726 Likes on 933 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Sometimes the best mod you can make is to ride with someone!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Sometimes the best mod you can make is to ride with someone!
Words of wisdom.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The biggest thing that's ever helped me was a ride-a-long, but I didn't look down the course, I watched the driver. Watched his eyes and foot/pedal action. I learned a lot that day. I still have issues looking far enough down the course, but when I do it right, boy do my times drop! Have fun!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little humility is good for everyone at some point. I tried the same test once thinking one of our national drivers would embarrass me in my own car but in the end I beat him a little. He had one run faster than me but coned.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to be spending some passenger seat time with our best drivers in my car to get a feel for what they are doing differently.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Find an Evolution Driving school near you.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jason
Find an Evolution Driving school near you.
It's on the list!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

C6 Z06s are notoriously difficult to be consistently fast in. I was a LOT more consistent in my stock Z51 than I was when I stepped into the Z. However, a Pfadt SS front bar, Pfadt inverted shocks, real brake pads and a full test day of tuning the car later, its now both fast and consistent. The Z is a handful in auto-x, especially Miata courses, so I could see how, if you're new to the car, there could be that kind of disparity with the top drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To I got schooled last weekend!

Quick Reply: I got schooled last weekend!