Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Seat upgrade

I posted this in the C3 section. Then thought this might be a better spot for it as I am sure many of you have replacement seats.

I have a 1969 Corvette. The passenger seat is the original seat and the foam is shot. The driver seat is a long discontinued Recaro. I was thinking of up grading my seating. Since I run the car in Time Trials, I will do a roll bar upgrade and seatbelt replacement at the same time. I have an old triangular bar that cuts in front of the passenger seat (1980 technology). Same with the old Simpson belts, 1980’s and time to replace them.

Anyway, I am looking for new seats. Searching other posts I am not really interested in C5 seats or Fiero seats. I need something with a little more lateral support. Plus with the price of those seats, you can get new ones for a bit more.

Questions:

First I’ll go with the seat I may like: The Sparco FIGHTER product number: 00954. Here is the link: http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=198

Anyone try that seat? Does it fit? Do you know anyone on Long Island that sells these? The nearest distributor is in New Jersey and is a haul. But I would never buy a seat without sitting in it.

One big down side to this seat is it is not hinged (does not come forward) like the stock seat.

Second, there are probably a number of seats out there I have not considered. Remember, while I do Time Trial the car, I do street drive it and comfort is a consideration, but so is the support at the track. If you have a great seat option for me to consider, please let me know.

Thanks guys
Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the process of installing Corbeau FX1s in my C5. I'm using the Hardbar seat rail. So far the install has been very smooth.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

The Corbeau FX1 Pro looks like a great seat. I am now considering the Corbeau TRS.

The FX1 Pro seats do not recline forward. Do you find it an inconvenience? I have a C3 (1969), what if I want to put my t-tops back there or change the battery. Seem like not have a reclining seat with be a huge pain in the butt.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are correct sir. They do not recline and without a slider type mount they do not move. The C5Z will be used primarily for track events. Have you looked at some of the Corbeau reclining seats like the A4?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
The Corbeau FX1 Pro looks like a great seat. I am now considering the Corbeau TRS.

The FX1 Pro seats do not recline forward. Do you find it an inconvenience? I have a C3 (1969), what if I want to put my t-tops back there or change the battery. Seem like not have a reclining seat with be a huge pain in the butt.
I have the TRS and LOVE it. I sat in it and the a4 and liked the TRS much better. More comfortable for sure.

Use my name and search and you will find a few threads about it. It barely fits in a c5, so I am not sure about c3 fitment
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Originally Posted by bags142
I have the TRS and LOVE it. I sat in it and the a4 and liked the TRS much better. More comfortable for sure.

Use my name and search and you will find a few threads about it. It barely fits in a c5, so I am not sure about c3 fitment
I will do the search. Most have recommended the A4. I sat in the Corbeau A4. The TRS seemed to have more lateral support and more lumbar support than the A4.

Now….if it fits…..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

BTW: Is that the standard seat or wide? I am assuming the standard..
Which has more room, the C3 or C5?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
bags142
Pro

I will do the search. Most have recommended the A4. I sat in the Corbeau A4. The TRS seemed to have more lateral support and more lumbar support than the A4.

Now….if it fits…..

Sitting in the seats back to back, the trs were way more comfortable to me

BTW: Is that the standard seat or wide? I am assuming the standard..
Which has more room, the C3 or C5?
STANDARD!

And no clue on the c5 vs c3 .... measure the most narrow section where the seat is going to be. And then check corbeau's website
Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

The measurements are only part of it. The amount of foam in the seat is usually a big issue for me. It determines how high your head goes. The Recaro fit in, but the bottom foam made my head go too high inside the car. I am only 5' 11". So the Recaro slidig rail came out and I had to flatten the part of the seat the woul normally mount to the rails and make a custom flat plate bracket. Don't forget, with any sort of speed event, the helmet adds to the problem.

BTW: Your pics in the other posts are great. Do you have the lumbar support in your seat?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
bags142
Pro

The measurements are only part of it. The amount of foam in the seat is usually a big issue for me. It determines how high your head goes. The Recaro fit in, but the bottom foam made my head go too high inside the car. I am only 5' 11". So the Recaro slidig rail came out and I had to flatten the part of the seat the woul normally mount to the rails and make a custom flat plate bracket. Don't forget, with any sort of speed event, the helmet adds to the problem.

BTW: Your pics in the other posts are great. Do you have the lumbar support in your seat?

I am 5'10/5'11 and fit with about an inch to spare height wise with my g-force helmet on. You can have the base of the seat shaved to gain ANOTHER inch for your helmet. But, I DID NOT get the shaved seat option.

Glad you liked the pics, I tried to be as helpful as possible! Nope no lumbar support, and honestly, with the shoulder support I do not know if I would want it. I would definetly check a trs out with it if it was something you were interested in.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

You can have the base of the seat shaved to gain ANOTHER inch for your helmet.

I would definetly check a trs out with it if it was something you were interested in.
Very interesting, I did not see the shaved seat option. Thanks again.
Yes, I will check out the TRS

Last edited by cottoneg; 08-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat upgrade

Quick Reply: Seat upgrade