Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructor crashes vette at TMS may 15th, blown tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Instructor crashes vette at TMS may 15th, blown tire

Crashed vette ride along passenger killed..
The race car instructor suffered a traumatic brain injury after crashing at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth on May 15, 2010

'Every day, one more step," says Andre Vandenberg

A passenger in the Corvette, 87-year-old Don Krusemark of Dallas, was killed.

Bummer..
tom
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

WFAA-TV reports
Fort Worth police have determined that the rear driver's side tire blew out during an accident that killed an 87-year-old man at the Texas Motor Speedway on May 15.

Also Online After Texas Motor Speedway crash, wife of injured driver waits

Blow: Man lived, died at full speed

Link: Andre Vandenberg on Caring Bridge
The blowout caused professional driver Andre Vandenberg to lose control of the vehicle, which then hit the wall six or seven times.

The accident occurred during an event arranged by Carter BloodCare to thank blood donors, including Don Krusemark, who died in the crash.

Vandenberg, an instructor with Texas Driving Experience, remains in a coma at a Fort Worth hospital.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts and prayers
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
shifter77
Drifting

My condolences.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was just awful to read about............tragic when an event to help a great cause goes bad.

My sincere condolences to all concerned.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

the obit and story from family is basically "he died w/ his boots on and did not suffer" may we all be so lucky..
Blessing and Do not waste a day...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
the obit and story from family is basically "he died w/ his boots on and did not suffer" may we all be so lucky..
Blessing and Do not waste a day...
God Bless
Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 AM
stano
Safety Car

Rest in Peace
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

How survivor of crash at Texas Motor Speedway is trying to bounce back

10:18 AM CDT on Thursday, July 15, 2010

By NEENA SATIJA / The Dallas Morning News
nsatija@dallasnews.com

Belinda Vandenberg has learned to treasure the little things.

Like when her husband squeezes her hand or snaps his fingers. When he sits upright. When he talks.

"Every day, one more step," says Andre Vandenberg.
Also Online

Blown tire caused Texas Motor Speedway wreck

After Texas Motor Speedway crash, wife of injured driver waits

Blow: Man lived, died at full speed

Link: Andre Vandenberg on Caring Bridge

He pinches his fingers together to demonstrate just how small that step may be. Some days, it's nothing more than pronouncing a new word or getting through the day without lying down, a task doctors decided he could face for the first time on Wednesday.

Any progress is a far cry from two months ago, when the 53-year-old Vandenberg was in a coma and doctors weren't sure he would ever wake up.

The race car instructor suffered a traumatic brain injury after crashing at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth on May 15. A passenger in the Corvette, 87-year-old Don Krusemark of Dallas, was killed.

Four days after the accident, Vandenberg gave his wife's hand a good, hard squeeze. A few weeks later, he started to talk again. Soon afterward, he was able to sit in a wheelchair.

Now he can stand, with the help of a walker, and he can eat hamburgers, though not the ones he's used to at home.

Belinda Vandenberg always knew he would make it back. "You're not going to get anywhere," she says, "if you think it's hopeless."

When she isn't traveling to keep her motorcycle wholesaling business going, 38-year-old Belinda Vandenberg begins her day at 8 in the morning at Denton Regional Medical Center. That's Andre's breakfast time.

At 9, speech and physical therapy begin. The exercises continue after lunch and go until dinner at 5 p.m. Sometimes, she'll take her husband outside after dinner to enjoy the summer air in the hospital's little garden.

She spends her nights in the hospital room, away from their Lewisville home, sleeping by his side.

"She's a God-given help," Andre says. "But it's got to have been really hard on her."

Belinda Vandenberg couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Just five years ago, her husband did the same for her after a wrong-way driver slammed into their Volkswagen Vanagon and she spent months in the hospital recovering.

"She is incredible," says Tracy Delio, her voice choking up as she speaks of her friend. "Her faith and strength are amazing."

Delio, who has known Andre Vandenberg since they were kids, knows firsthand what the couple is going through. Her sister, Tina Bosman, lived in a nursing home for 12 years after a devastating car accident in 1992.

"Her mind worked, but her body never got the message," Delio says.

Two years ago, Delio started the Tina Bosman Foundation to help trauma and closed-head-injury patients deal with the aftermath of their injuries.

Vandenberg is progressing, but the road to recovery will still be long, and the hospital bills will pile up. The Vandenbergs will need all the support they can get, Delio says.

The foundation is organizing a 5K run for this weekend, with proceeds going to the Vandenbergs.

So far, Delio said, 50 people have signed up for the run at Pleasant Ridge Church of Christ in Arlington. She's hoping for a final turnout of 100 to 150.

"They're just a good, sweet couple," Delio says. "They've always been there for so many people, so it's nice to see people be there for them, too."

Every hospital visitor has been astounded at Vandenberg's progress.

A few days ago, he was able to walk, with the help of a platform walker and two people supporting him.

"He's very exciting to work with," says physical therapist Jerry Schuchert, noting that rapid progress like Andre's is relatively rare. "He works very hard."

Schuchert says he expects Andre will soon be able to walk with the aid of the walker and only one person.

Little victories like that mean the world to the Vandenbergs.

"Something small [happens] every day," says Andre Vandenberg. "And you don't know what it is."

When he's finally able to go home, he can't wait to eat a homemade hamburger. He also wants to inspect his collection of motorbikes "to make sure they're right."

His wife is looking forward to sleeping in her own bed.

Andre Vandenberg immigrated to the U.S. from South Africa in 1983 to race motorcycles internationally. He met his wife in the spring of 2001.

The May accident, which was caused by a blown tire, is just one in a line of tragedies the Vandenbergs have faced on the road.

"They have had to deal with a lot," Delio says. "Most people don't have to deal with anything like that, ever."

A truck driver killed Andre Vandenberg's father in Johannesburg 30 years ago. In 1990, Vandenberg was badly hurt in a motorcycle racing accident and didn't walk for two years.

Then there was the wrong-way driver who crashed into his wife's van as they drove back from Granbury with her father, Jan Dekker. The 59-year-old Dekker died a few hours later.

This time, things will be different.

Doctors can't tell Belinda Vandenberg how long her husband's recovery will take, but the fact that he's progressing is more than enough for her. She's holding on one day at a time.

"We'll get through this one," Andre Vandenberg says.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

87-Year-Old Dallas Blood Donor Dies In Texas Motor Speedway Crash

Posted on May 25, 2010

An 87-year-old man was given the opportunity to race on the Texas Motor Speedway in honor of his generous blood donations over the years. But sadly, Fred Donald Krusemark of Dallas died when the race car he was riding in blew out a tire and crashed into the race course’s wall. After the Texas car accident, the man was airlifted to the hospital by a CareFlite helicopter.

Krusemark, a World War II veteran and long-time Texas resident, was allowed to race on the Forth Worth race track by Carter BloodCare, who was rewarding its most prolific members for their volunteer work. However, the car’s driver lost control when a tire went out and Krusemark died from his TX car accident injuries two days later at the John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office. It is not known whether the man was wearing a seat belt.

The Fort Worth car accident took place at around 4:15 PM on Saturday. Krusemark was one of about 100 blood donors invited to the event, in which participants took turns riding around the Speedway with professional drivers in Corvettes. Krusemark donated blood and platelets more than six times a year. The man’s family has questions for Texas Driving Experience of Fort Worth, the company who runs the event.

The driver of the car remains in critical condition after the car crash. Reports say that 53-year-old Andre Vandenberg of Lewisville is recovering at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

That is just a sad story all around...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Truly tragic, and a real "makes me think" accident.

A year ago I participated in the exact same kind of event. Charter Bloodcare does annual high donor "thank you" events each year, and last year they went to TMS, and amongst other activities, offer the Texas Driving Experience ride-along, which is 3 laps around the TMS oval.

The passengers are belted in a 4 point harness with a neck collar. The driver's rear tire blew out going into turn 3, the car did an apparent 180 and hit the driver's side. Interestingly the passenger side was untouched, yet the passenger perished.

When I was there Texas Driving Experience was very rigorous on checking their cars, every 30 minutes or so they'd pull the cars off and check fuel, tire pressure/condition, engine, etc. The drivers were very professional, at no time did I feel they were pushing the limits of traction or common sense.

I doubt, but hope, that TDE survives this accident. However, lawyers being lawyers, I'm sure lawsuits are underway.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

wonder type of tire or if it was a scrub? Was it a puncture or really a blow out?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
wonder type of tire or if it was a scrub? Was it a puncture or really a blow out?
my thoughts exactly......... anyone know?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE= I doubt, but hope, that TDE survives this accident. However, lawyers being lawyers, I'm sure lawsuits are underway.

Have a good one,
Mike[/QUOTE]

Both sides have lawyers. If TDE had their act together, and it sounds like they did, their attys certainly would've prepped for something like this.

Doesn't sound like the driver was out of line. There is a bit of assumption of risk here by the passenger- random equipment failure (either on the track or road) is certainly one of them.

And I'd imagine they had a decent chunk of insurance coverage to handle sad events like this. Accidents like this should not mean then end of the show.

Get notified of new replies

To Instructor crashes vette at TMS may 15th, blown tire

Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunate situation. I have never had a flat tire ever in my life and just a couple months ago on my last track outing I got my first. Picked up a screw on the track and ended up boucing off the tire wall. I was lucky the way it happened cause the car is not bent and I am not hurt. Could have been much worse. The abs was full on so I had no stopping power or steering for a very long moment.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I had a piece of sharp rock in my tire at pocono. It was kicked up from other cars going off.and it was flat.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They're running Z-rated street tires, probably F1 SCs although I frankly don't remember. I did get to look at a car while it was getting serviced, they certainly weren't trashed.

Here's a link to the only photos I've seen of the car:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/New-p...ry=y&img=1&c=y

Interestingly the passenger side of the car appears to be unscathed. I wonder what the passenger hit to have died from "blunt force trama to the head and neck." But now I understand why the driver's head injury was so serious.

Let's be careful out there!
Mike

Quick Reply: Instructor crashes vette at TMS may 15th, blown tire