Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hungarian GP

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Hungarian GP

Just curious what everyone thinks of Michael Schumacher's attempt to put his former teammate Rubens Barrichello into the wall last Sunday.....and it wasn't even for the lead?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought what was amazing in qualy was V-boy running within 4 tenths of the all time track record, with 200 less hp, half the wing/aero, skinnier tires, spec tire, and 18k revs only

gotta love how the engineers just pull speed from thin air

Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If I was Rubens I would have went over after the race and beat him to death with my helmet.

Here's hoping Webber can lead Team Old Guy to the championship.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=63Corvette;1574898612]Just curious what everyone thinks of Michael Schumacher's attempt to put his former teammate Rubens Barrichello into the wall last Sunday.....and it wasn't even for the lead?[/QUOT
after all he did for him through the years I think he was a scumbag to Rubens

and Vettle doesn't know basic rules and gets paid what?

What that cost his team in dollars for lost points!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It didn't have the same outcome but reminded me of Bergmeister putting Magnussen into the wall last year. At the begining of this season I was pulling for MSC but as the season has worn on this epsiode along with a few others have really lowered my opinion of him. His response was sad - at first he stated he'd done nothing wrong. Then after the penalty and all the criticism he finally apologized. Its depressing to see his incredible career tarnished this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8wCygNviQ
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

He's a Dbag for that. That was a good race for that track though.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the penalty was fitting, and he apologized:

"Yesterday, right after the race I was still in the heat of the action, but after I watched the incident with Rubens again, I must say that the stewards were right with their assessment: the move against him was too hard," Schumacher wrote on his website. "I wanted to make it hard for him to pass me. I clearly showed him that I didn't want to let him pass but... I wasn't seeking to endanger him with my move.
Senna raced the same way, although he would help you up after he knocked you down. If Rubens is ok with it, I'm ok with it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I think the penalty was fitting, and he apologized:

Senna raced the same way, although he would help you up after he knocked you down. If Rubens is ok with it, I'm ok with it.
If Rubens clipped the wall an apology would do little. I mean we are talking one of the best drivers ever not some rookie that made a mistake.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by argonaut
It didn't have the same outcome but reminded me of Bergmeister putting Magnussen into the wall last year. At the begining of this season I was pulling for MSC but as the season has worn on this epsiode along with a few others have really lowered my opinion of him. His response was sad - at first he stated he'd done nothing wrong. Then after the penalty and all the criticism he finally apologized. Its depressing to see his incredible career tarnished this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8wCygNviQ
What is tarnishing it? He has always acted like this. If it wasn't tarnished for you already, it shouldn't be now.

Last edited by dfinke23; 08-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

OK I'll comment in my own thread.
It reminded me (too much) of Senna and Prost. I'm disappointed!
That said, I'm also disappointed in Vettel, who I think walks on water (in the wet) but has shown that he is as big an axxhole as Schumacher in dealing with his own teammates. NEVER take out your teammate
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

What is tarnishing it? He has always acted like this. If it wasn't tarnished for you already, it shouldn't be now.
I'm referring to the way his "comeback" season has gone rather than this particular incident when saying his career is tarnished. I am aware he has always been very aggressive, pushy, egotistical, etc, etc. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by argonaut
I'm referring to the way his "comeback" season has gone rather than this particular incident when saying his career is tarnished. I am aware he has always been very aggressive, pushy, egotistical, etc, etc. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Gotcha ..... although I wouldn't be that bothered by his results thus far, or the rest of the season for that matter. He is driving a car that was designed, bottom up, for a driver with a driving style that is the complete opposite of his own (Jensen Button).
Over-steer scares the sh_t out of Button, and that is how MS likes his car to behave. The car he is currently driving pushes by design.
With their budget and the time to develop something to suit him, I suspect there will be several podiums for MS and Rosberg next season.

BTW, I am not a MS fan, or a MS hater either.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You've got to be kidding me. I didn't get to watch the race, but I can see the video above. Webber has made the same move on Massa (among others). If you think that was so low down and dirty and reputation losing of MSC, you should really look up old Prost, Senna, Webber, Hill, etc videos. Maybe that will "tarnish" there image too

It's not MSC's 1st rodeo of questionable moves, nor is it the last one you'll ever see in F1 or other racing

edit: argonaut, just read your above post..so i'm not referencing you in the 'tarnishing'
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Just curious what everyone thinks of Michael Schumacher's attempt to put his former teammate Rubens Barrichello into the wall last Sunday.....and it wasn't even for the lead?
F1 is tough, so are the best drivers. Someone of lessor caliber would have actually put Barichello into the wall. Schumacher is good enough to give him 1 car width + an inch (centimeter).

Schumacher has never been a nice guy, but he is the best.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I love that Rubens said, "For someone else, I would have lifted. For him, no way."
He'd have kept his foot it in all the way to hell. That's commitment.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was an insanely dangerous move... Running into Villeneuve, shooting across the track at the starts and the list goes on and on.... but this move was different. They were traveling at a very high rate of speed with no grass to run on too (at first anyway). You would think the old guys driving would mature, but clearly it hasn't.... It was more of a desperate move than an agressive/tactical one.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

...I wouldn't be that bothered by his results thus far, or the rest of the season for that matter. He is driving a car that was designed, bottom up, for a driver with a driving style that is the complete opposite of his own (Jensen Button).
Over-steer scares the sh_t out of Button, and that is how MS likes his car to behave. The car he is currently driving pushes by design.
With their budget and the time to develop something to suit him, I suspect there will be several podiums for MS and Rosberg next season.

BTW, I am not a MS fan, or a MS hater either.
I read that also. Jensen just the other day brought that point up and I believe Ross Brawn has alluded to it once or twice. It will be interesting to see if it pans out next year. But none the less - legendary drivers like Andretti, Fittipaldi, Floyt, etc are noted for their ability to jump in any car and compete at the highest levels. I think history will put MSC in this category (if it hasn't already)...so if he can't drive an understeering car and is consistently outqualified by his teammate in the same car...what does that say about him compared to some legends of the past? It makes me wonder and thats unfortunate because coming into this season, in my mind and the mind of many others, he was up there with Senna, Clark, Stewart, etc. Just my opinion but I wish he'd have stuck to riding his motor bike and impersonating the Stig. Of course if he is the 2011 world champion it will remove any doubt about his greatness that currently exists.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

F1 Hungarian Grand Prix: Michael Schumacher penalised 10 places for Barrichello near-miss
Michael Schumacher was back in familiar territory on Sunday night, at the centre of a dangerous-driving storm after Rubens Barrichello accused his former Ferrari team-mate of almost killing the pair of them in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

Get notified of new replies

To Hungarian GP

Quick Reply: Hungarian GP