Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap Belt installtion - C5 Z06 with stock seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default Lap Belt installtion - C5 Z06 with stock seats

Title says it all.
I'm picking up a lap belt for the car to hold me in better during autcross runs and I'm curious as to where I can mount the left side to on the car.

Any pics or links for info would be great. It's a 3" wide lap belt.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Why do you think a different lap belt will hold you in any better than the stock belt system in cinch mode? Even a 6 point harness with pass throughs in the sport seat doesn't really hold you any better. Run the seat all the way back, pull the stock belt out all the way till it stops and then fasten it. Push as much of the belt as you can into the take up reel at the bottom of the door and then run the seat forward until the belt feels like it is cutting you in half. Your butt will not move from the seat. When you launch the shoulder belt will also cinch and you won't move forward under braking. Autocrossed C5s for 12 years and used that method for 10 of those years. The only thing that will hold you in place better than that is to get a race seat and then you are no longer in a stock class.

I almost forgot to mention. 3 inch lap belts are going away. Major restraint makers are moving to 2 inch lap belts because they fit the pelvic bone better than the 3 inch belts. Check out what Schroth has to offer.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Bill on this. Cinch it down till you can't breathe.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I've not had ay luck getting mine to cinch to be honest.

But... then again, I didn't try doing it in the manner you speak of, Bill. THANKS! I'll try that @ the next event.

as far as the 3" belt... a competitor here has one that he didn't want and offered it up cheap for me to try out. That's why I mentioned the size.

thanks for the tip.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get better seats!!! stock c5 seats blow goats
Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why do you think a different lap belt will hold you in any better than the stock belt system in cinch mode? Even a 6 point harness with pass throughs in the sport seat doesn't really hold you any better. Run the seat all the way back, pull the stock belt out all the way till it stops and then fasten it. Push as much of the belt as you can into the take up reel at the bottom of the door and then run the seat forward until the belt feels like it is cutting you in half. Your butt will not move from the seat. When you launch the shoulder belt will also cinch and you won't move forward under braking. Autocrossed C5s for 12 years and used that method for 10 of those years. The only thing that will hold you in place better than that is to get a race seat and then you are no longer in a stock class.

I almost forgot to mention. 3 inch lap belts are going away. Major restraint makers are moving to 2 inch lap belts because they fit the pelvic bone better than the 3 inch belts. Check out what Schroth has to offer.

Bill
my legs are too long to mover the seat forward
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by bags142
That would be an option if I didn't run in SS... stock class does not allow for that. Maybe when the day comes that I move to ASP I will.

THanks though
Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rustyguns
my legs are too long to mover the seat forward
The only thing you can do then is push yourself down into the seat and push the belt back into the take up reel. Or have somebody do it for you before you close the door. I use cinch mode for the passenger seat of all Corvettes I instruct in and a fair number of them do not have power passenger seats so I am sort of stuck in the same position as you but have been able to get the belts fairly tight. You really can tell the difference when moving from one run group to another you hop from a BMW, Viper, etc and get in a Vette where you can cinch the belt. It is a very big help to be able to cinch it.

Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I just had my car full caged and had race seat and bolt-in mount harnesses installed. As such I'm selling my harness bar/roll hoop (MSI) and the lap/anti-sub belt mounts (they bolt to the stock seat belt and bolts and provide clip-in locations for the lap and anti-subs). I believe the harnesses themselves already sold though (just awaiting payment). PM me if interested.

They did help a lot vs. the stock belt. But I won't lie: a race seat is still much, much better.

-TJ
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Brey-Krause makes a nice lap belt kit that allows clip style lap and
sub belts and retains stock belts for street use. Fairly easy install.
Just put them in my C5
Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Thanks for the tip! I'll see how the cinch method works next weekend and how the lap belt setup I have now works as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Mounting lap and sub belts to the stock seat mounts worries me, after seeing the forces in a crash on the Schroth page.
The stock mounts hold the seat and one part of a 3 point harness. You are now asking them to anchor 4 of 6 belts, and your crash is likely going to be at speeds well exceeding what the stock seat mounts were built for. It sure is a bunch easier though.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Mounting lap and sub belts to the stock seat mounts worries me, after seeing the forces in a crash on the Schroth page.
The stock mounts hold the seat and one part of a 3 point harness. You are now asking them to anchor 4 of 6 belts, and your crash is likely going to be at speeds well exceeding what the stock seat mounts were built for. It sure is a bunch easier though.
I've heard that alot are mouting the lap belt ( at least on the driver's side of the seat ) to the seat mount itself. That's where I plan on putting mine. The lap belt will ONLY be used during autocross runs and I do not do track days or HPDEs and the like. NO sub belts, no full harness in the car at this point. If and when I do, it will be when I move to ASP and put a more supportive seat and such in the car.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I used the BK setup on my 97 and 03Z for a while. The BK mounts mount the lap and sub belt to the stock locations. One goes on the frame mount and the other goes on the inside seat mount. Basically, there is no more force than the stock locations would normally see. Although the 6 point belts were marginally better than the 3 point stock system I still had to brace my knees against the door and the center console since the shoulder belts went around the outside of the seat. In the 03 I changed the seat cover over to a sport seat cover but that didn't help much. The belts may keep you in place a little more in a crash but they allow too much movement of the body to get maximum steering control. The 3 point setup is quite good in cinch mode. I finally got everything under control when I went to a racing seat that held my shoulders and legs in place. That is when you realize how little your harness does. Going around a corner you just let yourself rest against the seat's shoulder support. The seat keeps you from going sideways and the belts keep you from going forward.

If you decide to go with a BK setup make sure you buy pull up lap belts even though they are quite a bit longer than the pull down belts. There is no room on the console side to pull down that side of the lap belt and you need a really long arm with the door open to pull down the door side. Pull ups will let you easily adjust both sides.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bags142
What he said. Try these:

Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
SteveConn
Instructor

Default Have the B-K Brackets for Sale...

Originally Posted by redrckt97
Just put them in my C5
Adam: I have the Brey-Krause lap belt brackets (mounts) for the driver's side of my '03 Z06. They sandwich in between the stock lap belt reel and the frame on the driver's left, and between the right side stock mount and the tunnel. They allow you to retain the stock belts and simply click your 3" belts in when needed. You can see them on the B-K site. I'm selling mine for the driver's side only (2 brackets). PM or email me at scmedtest@aol.com if you'd like to see pictures. I need $60 plus shipping from 38104.
Steve Conn, Memphis
Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjZ06
FWIW I just had my car full caged and had race seat and bolt-in mount harnesses installed. As such I'm selling my harness bar/roll hoop (MSI) and the lap/anti-sub belt mounts (they bolt to the stock seat belt and bolts and provide clip-in locations for the lap and anti-subs). I believe the harnesses themselves already sold though (just awaiting payment). PM me if interested.

They did help a lot vs. the stock belt. But I won't lie: a race seat is still much, much better.

-TJ
Originally Posted by redrckt97
Just put them in my C5

The Brey-Krause kit is what I have as well. I have them for both sides, as well as the MSI roll hoop/harness bar and the appropriate Crow cam-lock 6-point harnesses. PM me if interested.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To Lap Belt installtion - C5 Z06 with stock seats

Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM
waktasz
Pro

Originally Posted by gmccreary
What he said. Try these:

If he's asking and mentioned autocross chances are he's in Super Stock class and can't change them.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by waktasz
If he's asking and mentioned autocross chances are he's in Super Stock class and can't change them.
Yep 100% correct. But this is still good info for the if/when I move to ASP and can put a seat in.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get some rubber tool box liner. Cut a piece to fit on the seat bottom. This will help prevents sliding.

Quick Reply: Lap Belt installtion - C5 Z06 with stock seats