Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobalt Brake Pad Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cobalt Brake Pad Issues

We run Cobalt XR1 pads f/r on our T1 car but recently have been having an issue with the pads 'fracturing' and pretty much chipping off up to a third of the pad from the backing plate on the rear pads (maybe a fifth of the pad on the fronts). Up until last weekend, its only occurred on the rear pads but at St Louis, it happened on the fronts after only three heat cycles. We ran these all last year with no issues whatsoever......

Anyone else experienced this? We are running the C6 caliper, Cobalt pads and Quantum spindle ducts........

This is the latest set of pads. Smaller chip than normal but you get the idea.

Sure will be glad when we get our BBK and these issues are no longer 'issues'...........<grin>

Last edited by CP Thunder; 08-09-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Contact Cobalt direct they are very good about following up on any problems. Ask for Andy. Sorry don't have the phone# handy JD
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

We have Andy on speed dial and have talked to him on a few occasions about this. Yes, they are good at following up and working with us when it happens. He also told us they are working on a chamfered pad on the leading edge to help with this issue. Of course, this too costs usable pad volume.

I am just curious how 'common' this is and what the 'worst case' out there may have been.

While the pads may still be 'useable' in this condition, when you lose a portion of your pad volume, you must be losing a percentage of your braking capability. We haven't lost a really large section of pad up until this point (on the fronts anyway).

Has anyone lost lets say, 50% of a pad from the backing plate? More? Am just curious. Desipte these issues, we are VERY happy with the performance of the Cobalt pads......
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't had any issues so far on XR2's in StopTech ST60 and ST40 calipers.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had no issues with the cobalt 1 piece pads with stock C6Z calipers or running the AP CP5555 front calipers/stock rears.

I run foglite brake ducts and 3" line all the way back with 3" inline blowers too!

MY AP calipers have leaked fluid out the bleeders since new, but thats another topic.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just started using them this year and I can't say one bad thing about them so far. They seem to be more rotor friendly and the initial bite is great and longevity to boot over the Hawk DTC 70's.

This is what I plan to run at the Run-Offs, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Aaron
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Aaron......am sure they will do you fine at the Runoffs.........we have run them for 2 years now and only recently had any issues (only three pad problems) out of many sets. Natha loves the 'feel' and I love the NOT changing rotors EVERY DAY....!!

Good luck at the Runoffs!! I might see about coming up for the T1 and AS races!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

What are you guys doing about the rivets scoring up the rotors? I really like these pads but the last set tore up my rotors at the last 1/3 or so of life.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i had an issue with this on my rear c6z pads. talked to bob and he took care of me and sent a new set. had to send olde set to cobalt.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
What are you guys doing about the rivets scoring up the rotors? I really like these pads but the last set tore up my rotors at the last 1/3 or so of life.
Haven't had that problem................never been down to the 'rivets'....I replace them long before they get that low as she doesn't like the long pedal feel.......
Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my 1st set of XR2 pads was nearly done they did chip like yours but I felt they were done anyway. I switched to XR1 pads but I also felt they tore up the rotors much more than the XR2s, so my XR1s don't have enough sessions on them to see if they will chip or not.

I run Quantum spindle ducts and Coleman rotor/aluminum hat setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Cobalt Brake Pad Issues

Quick Reply: Cobalt Brake Pad Issues