Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Replacements??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Replacements??

FYI my car is a 05 C6 Z51 6spd mostly stock.

Well my drilled Z51 rotors are starting to show the stress fractures in the front. None are near the outside nor are they touching yet so i know i should have another track day in them, especially as the track I am running in Sept, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, TX isn't a high speed one lots of turns. Eagles Canyon on the other hand has 4 1300ft straights so it will be hard on the brakes.

Trying to keep these somewhat efficient as I will probably go through a few sets before I really go crazy on the brakes.

I have been looking into different brake rotor brands and thier types and wondered people's thoughts. I do road race/HPDE so please take that into account that I want function over looks.

I want to get either slotted or solid rotors but wasn't sure what people thought of the differences between these two.

Also what about the brands.

I have been looking at DBA standard slotted and 4000 series slotted right now. I am not advanced enough yet to need the 2-piece 5000 series yet but the unsprung and roational weight gain would be a long term upgrade. Was thinking 4000 series slotted fronts with the standard rears.
I have also seen Centric and they have a solid rotor for really cheap. $100 for the front and $63 on the rears is really cheap.
A friend also to me about Cquence rotors which seem to have some pretty decent options.

Trying not to spend more then about $800 if I can help it on the full set of rotors and I probably don't even need to spend that much at my level, but i'd rather ask and see how people have felt thier rotors have treated them.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Well, that depends...

Which HPDE group are you in? I just got signed off to HPDE 3 and will be at Mid Ohio this weekend. If you do a search you will find lots of threads about this, also in the C6 Tech/Performance section. Also check out the "What I've learned" sticky above (Yea, I know it's about a C5, but it's great information!) From reading and talking to racers and other drivers, I've learned that it's not just rotors, but pads, fluid, cooling ducts, brake pistons, brake lines, etc. that all need to work together as a system. Last event, I took my cool down lap at the end of each session and then drove around the paddock and parking areas for another 10 minutes to cool every down even more. Was late to class, but I think it helped! Was running NAPA C5 solid rotors for a couple of events and am now back to the OEM Z-51 cross drilled with HAWK HT-10s rear and DTC 60s front...have a set of Quantum brake ducts and stainless steel lines, DRM stainless steel brake pistons, Motul 600 fluid. I was pretty confident with this set up at the M.O. event last month. BTW, you can get Z51 rotors for a great price from Forum vendor Gene Culley - unbeatable customer service with Gene also!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too am running a C6 Z51 monthly w/ TDE at cresson on regular basis.the 3.1 is the funnest of the 2 tracks.. the 1.7 is fast and heats up the pads..cool down laps on the highway is the way to go. I have used up lots of Hawks HPs and Cobalt Friction pad.. Cobalt uses rivits and lasted only 4 sessions.. the Hawks went 6 sessions and failed.. tthe cobalt never failed but the rivits took out one rotor..bummer... Have a set of the PF1's to run in October ( will be out for next 2 months saving pennies for seat, harness and R compounds) i am still debating changing to stock rotors and shoes, for the sake of the costs
I do enjoy the "what i learned..." link it has saved me money...
But yet to hear feedback on the brake change to stock.

I should check in w/ Gene for a back up set of Z51's rotors.. only have one back up..
what is his contact info.. i know i should know.. but the brain is rattled today.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Geauxtigers
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd recommend changing your calipers to the base C6 brakes to reduce your rotor cost significantly. I was buying full sets of barely used rotors for around $100 or less and you can get new ones for around $200 i think.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be at the Oct 23rd TDE Event back at Cresson as well. Really hooked on this so i will get 4 maybe 4.5 full track weekends before the year is out. I may just have to take a test on a set and keep them with me incase i need to change them out. The rears aren't as much of the worry hardly any cracks at all back there its the fronts i know I will need to replace before the year is out for sure.

Sept will be my 4th session on the stock rotors which have seen about 28k miles now total. I have noticed a lip on the edge that i have read is normal for the C6 Z51 since the rotors I think are bigger than the pads.

Any thoughts on slotted vs. solid for the track?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am hoping to be at TWS oct 2nd with the new enhancements.
and definately at Cresson Oct 23..
I wonder if those that down graded to stock calipers and rotors have noticed a difference in stopping or any fade?

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor Replacements??

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacements??