Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track-Only C5 Z06 Alignment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Track-Only C5 Z06 Alignment Specs

I've had my C5Z for about 5 years now, and have found an alignment that I really like as a mix of (minimal) street driving, AutoX and tracking it. The car has gotten to the stage (full cage etc.) where I'm not going to street drive it much, if at all, anymore so I'm thinking it's time for more aggressive specs.

I'd like to optimize to tracking the car on A6s or the various scrub slicks that are available on the forum. Right now I'm running:
  • -2.8 Front Camber
  • -1.7 Rear Camber
  • 0 Front Toe
  • .25" Rear Toe-In
  • Maxed Front Caster

What would you all recommend to optimize on A6s or real slicks, with street use as no concern?

I was thinking:
  • -3.2 Front Camber
  • -1.8 Rear Camber
  • .25" Front Toe-Out
  • .25" Rear Toe-In
  • Maxed Front Caster

Thoughts?

-TJ
Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Also, suggested ride-height (the car still has stock spindles, no drop-spindles yet )?

-TJ
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally run around -2.2 front, -1.5 rear, toed out in front, in in back, just a little. Caster takes care of itself. Seems to work well, for time trial sort of stuff. I run Hoosier R6 tires on 17" wheels.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I was thinking:
  • -3.2 Front Camber
  • -1.8 Rear Camber
  • .25" Front Toe-Out
  • .25" Rear Toe-In
  • Maxed Front Caster

Thoughts?

-TJ
that's probably pretty close. I've been running nearly that since about May (went to more front neg in May) and we just did scott's car that way and he picked up nearly 2 secs. same basic specs, just less front toe out. lots of toe out works good on maybe the slower speed auto-x type tracks. so far I've chewed up in the inside fronts pretty good at the high speed VIR/RA type of tracks.

1/8" in rear works good, haven't gone to 1/4" yet.

I don't notice any braking differences between -2.5 and -3.2 and the traqmate shows not loss of braking G
Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
that's probably pretty close. I've been running nearly that since about May (went to more front neg in May) and we just did scott's car that way and he picked up nearly 2 secs. same basic specs, just less front toe out. lots of toe out works good on maybe the slower speed auto-x type tracks. so far I've chewed up in the inside fronts pretty good at the high speed VIR/RA type of tracks.

I don't notice any braking differences between -2.5 and -3.2 and the traqmate shows not loss of braking G
Great input, thanks! I suppose I'll go for less front toe. I'll happily trade a little low-speed turn-in for high-speed stability.

Where are ya'll setting your ride-height?

Thanks!!

-TJ
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the suspension? If you're running poly bushings or sphericals you don't need near as much static camber or rear toe-in as with stock rubber bushings. 1/4" toe-out up front seems like way too much. I'm running about 1/64" toe-IN (as suggested by Randy@DRM and Mark@MSI) in the front. With the Pfadt poly bushings I find 1/16" toe-IN in the back is just fine, too, with the DRM coilovers the car hooks nicely. I'd say let the stopwatch and the pyrometer tell you where to set camber...
Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
What's the suspension? If you're running poly bushings or sphericals you don't need near as much static camber or rear toe-in as with stock rubber bushings. 1/4" toe-out up front seems like way too much. I'm running about 1/64" toe-IN (as suggested by Randy@DRM and Mark@MSI) in the front. With the Pfadt poly bushings I find 1/16" toe-IN in the back is just fine, too, with the DRM coilovers the car hooks nicely. I'd say let the stopwatch and the pyrometer tell you where to set camber...
The car is having Pfadt's spherical bearings installed currently along w/ Gary's alignment kit.

-TJ
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

The car is having Pfadt's spherical bearings installed currently along w/ Gary's alignment kit.
I bet now that you've taken the compliance out of the bushings that your current alignment will behave/wear much like your suggested alignment would have if you'd kept the stock bushings -- if you follow.

Dig back for the DRM RTR thread; that was a full-on race car and the alignment was < -2deg camber with the sphericals in the LCAs. The other thing you might do is ask Pfadt what they suggest to folks who install the sphericals...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Thanks again for all the input. I'm still looking for ride-height suggestions. From this thread and a few others it actually sounds like I might not need to be so aggressive with the camber now w/ the sphericals.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I'm still looking for ride-height suggestions.
I'm 4 1/2" to the front of the front jacking puck hole, and 4 7/8" to the rear of the rear jacking puck hole. With the DRM coilovers the car has been working really well at this ride height & rake.

If I was going to experiment I'd mess with ride height +- 1/2" and rake somewhere between 0 and 1/2".

It's been explained to me that you want to make sure the LCAs are level or have a slight down angle. FWIW, my car was 5" to the jacking puck holes stock... ('06 C6 Z51)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard

what is cutting your inside fronts? The Toe or the Camber?

Get notified of new replies

To Track-Only C5 Z06 Alignment Specs

Quick Reply: Track-Only C5 Z06 Alignment Specs