Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport can beat Z06's

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Grand Sport can beat Z06's

Wow! I knew that title would draw attention!

Ran my first NCCC auto cross this weekend. They class the GS with the Z06s , rather than the LS3s from '08-'11. So ; I had 3 Z06s to contend with, in my class. Out of 7 races ; I won 2 ; came in 2nd five times.

Course was about 1 mile long ; my best lap was a 56.10 seconds - which means we averaged over 60 mph.

I learned more that day about this car ; than I ever would driving on the street for years!

Had a blast !
Old 08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Glad you had fun! Were you running with the BRCC and Cowtown, and where were you running?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 PM
SG4206
Pro

Yes - the OKC event ; just re-joined Cowtown.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad you had fun. Hope to see you at a convention in the future.

They class the GS's with the Z06s becasuse of the suspension setup. The GS's have the same suspension just differnet motors. On most autocross tracks, the HP of the motor has less to do with your time than the suspension/tires/driver skill. The 70hp advantage the Z06 has over you isn't that much when you get up into that hp range. You most likely won't even be able to use all your hp on most courses, let alone a Z06.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gearing is better and it isn't down THAT much power.

I'd like to see an acceleration in gear graph comparing the two.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

SG- Congrats on the FTD's! Sounds like you had a heck of a weekend!

Originally Posted by vettehardt

They class the GS's with the Z06s becasuse of the suspension setup. The GS's have the same suspension just differnet motors. On most autocross tracks, the HP of the motor has less to do with your time than the suspension/tires/driver skill. The 70hp advantage the Z06 has over you isn't that much when you get up into that hp range. You most likely won't even be able to use all your hp on most courses, let alone a Z06.

I have to disagree with the NCCC's classing. While you are correct in the statement that the Z06 cannot use the horsepower advantage at most low-speed autocrosses, what about the high-speeds? One must also take into account the weight difference between the Z06 and the Grand Sport.

If they don't think the horsepower difference is an issue, then why did the ZR-1 wind up in it's own class vs. the LT4/LT1 cars?

I also don't agree that the C5Z and C6 base models are classed differently. I think competition would be a lot better if you stuck those cars together, though I understand that classing also goes by generation.

Either way, I'm an NCCC guy all the way, don't ever plan on running the SCCA's tight miata courses any longer. Just wish the powers-to-be with the NCCC would focus more on actual competition and listen to the racers.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
SG4206
Pro

thanks for the kudo's ; no FTDs ; just class wins and seconds.

I'm with you ; a Z51 is closer to a Grand sport ; than a Grand Sport is to a Z06! The Z51 cars run with base cars.

When average speed is over 60 mph ;Z06 HP does come into play!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by SG4206
thanks for the kudo's ; no FTDs ; just class wins and seconds.

I'm with you ; a Z51 is closer to a Grand sport ; than a Grand Sport is to a Z06! The Z51 cars run with base cars.

When average speed is over 60 mph ;Z06 HP does come into play!
If you got two wins vs. the Z's...then you got sub group FTD's.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BFoster
SG- Congrats on the FTD's! Sounds like you had a heck of a weekend!

I have to disagree with the NCCC's classing. While you are correct in the statement that the Z06 cannot use the horsepower advantage at most low-speed autocrosses, what about the high-speeds? One must also take into account the weight difference between the Z06 and the Grand Sport.

If they don't think the horsepower difference is an issue, then why did the ZR-1 wind up in it's own class vs. the LT4/LT1 cars?

I also don't agree that the C5Z and C6 base models are classed differently. I think competition would be a lot better if you stuck those cars together, though I understand that classing also goes by generation.

Either way, I'm an NCCC guy all the way, don't ever plan on running the SCCA's tight miata courses any longer. Just wish the powers-to-be with the NCCC would focus more on actual competition and listen to the racers.
That is where you need to talk to your RCD and make him listen. They are the ones that make the decision as to which class a new car goes into. Although ultimitaly it goes down to a vote by the governers of each club wether the rule book is accepted or not.

In reality, very few high speed events are put on each year as compared to low speed. That was a trade off the RCD commitee decided was ok.

The first year or two of the C6, they were in the J class. After looking at quite a few results from events, it was decided the C6s wern't able to keep up with the C5Z06.

The old ZR-1 was put into it's own class because of the wider bodywork/suspension it had and the exotic LT-5 motor. At the time, the LT-1 cars didn't have the wider 11" wheels in the back and they didn't want the LT-1 cars to be able to use them.

The new ZR1 was put into a different class because of the supercharger. If they put The ZR1 in the same class as a Z06, then in group 2 a Z06 would be able to run a ZR-1 supercharger on their LS7 because of the update/backdate rules.

Alot of the rules come down to people who run that class and don't want somebody else to have an advantage over them. It has started to trend towards making classing better over the last few years. Besides, in reality, the classing system is pretty much negated with the introduction of teh FTD system we have now. Now you compete against your FTD subgroup for points more so than your class. I know my dad has tried to push for less classes.

As the son of a former VP comp and current RCD, I too am a diehard lifetime NCCC member. I don't like running with SCCA unless I need to sort something new I did to my car.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
SG4206
Pro

Originally Posted by slacker1201
If you got two wins vs. the Z's...then you got sub group FTD's.

Super - gota love it !
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Congrats.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.