Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing in ALMS--problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default Corvette Racing in ALMS--problems?

I have been out of pocket a while and wanted to get your expert opinions--Corvette Racing has not done as well as we would expect in ALMS GT this year. What are the problems they are experiencing and what needs correcting?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Only problems I see is competition is tougher these days. Corvettes seem a little down on power. They are using GM engines and not Katech. I'd personally like to see Kaetch back in the game if for anything else, reliability.

At Mid Ohio Gavin and Beretta finished 2nd, less than 1 second behind a Risi Ferarri.
Jan and Johnny had cooling problems with the #3. They actually had cooling probelms right from the start. It was detected while the car was on the grid at 2:15pm for a 3:00pm start...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Not only is the competition very good, the team has experienced a myriad of problems and a shovel full of bad luck that have resulted in their rather pedestrian results. I won't be able to remember them all but here are a few:

- The two cars ran into each other during a pit stop at Sebring
- At LeMans the 4 car was taken out by a prototype while leading. It returned later and then both cars blew their motors.
- At Miller there was an issue with the fuel pump on the 4 car right at the start. Some wire had become un-hooked.
- At Lime Rock one of the cars was black flagged for holding up the BMWs. Totally bogus ruling in most people's opinion.
- I've also heard talk about lots of issues with the motor development not being everything they hoped for...not sure where it stands now though.
- At mid-ohio the number 4 car did a great job and was leading late in the race until a full course caution brought everyone into the pits. The corvette took 4 tires while the ferrari took 2 and got out ahead. Gavin just didn't have enough time to catch him.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by argonaut
- At mid-ohio the number 4 car did a great job and was leading late in the race until a full course caution brought everyone into the pits. The corvette took 4 tires while the ferrari took 2 and got out ahead. Gavin just didn't have enough time to catch him.
Oliver had the TIME, just not the POWER to get around that #62 Ferarri. He was close for quite a few of those final laps, certainly within striking distance and with the power, was close enought to stike and go around the #62 Risi car BUT he just didn't have the steam. He was right there.....
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

it's simply competition if you ask me. When you have no competition, you race for wins. When you have good competition, you race for the podium.

Properly done, it's all about championship points. In WC "back in the day (30 competitors)", consistetn top-10 finishes would give you a top-7 season, consisten top-5 finishes would get you a championship!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

They picked the toughest class in racing. They had it easy for so long. This is a new world for them and it won't be easy. They knew that going in.

The interesting item is there's talk that Pratt & Miller has a Cadillac contract. It's a pre-engineering project - or something like that. What is that all about?

Richard Newton
Speed TV
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
They picked the toughest class in racing. They had it easy for so long. This is a new world for them and it won't be easy. They knew that going in.Speed TV
.... plus, if they would follow the rules with the engine they are using, they wouldn't have the weight penalty.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing in ALMS--problems?

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing in ALMS--problems?