Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 ZR1 vs Coilovers

Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 ZR1 vs Coilovers

My questions is: Would a ZR1 benefit from replacing it's current suspension setup to an adjustable coilover setup? Since this is the Autocross section I'm not talking about which is more versatile and makes the best street/track combo. I'm talking about all out track performance and lap times. Would one be harder to drive at the limit? Which would respond better to R comps?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the active suspension which magnetically controls the shock via the ECM, you are probably stuck with the OEM set up. I can't imagine what disconnecting that system will do the car's computer. If the C6Z is any indication, simply replacing wheel sensors can totally screw the car up and put it in "disabled" mode rendering it useless on the track. I can not imagine what would happen if you disconnect the magnetic suspension on a ZR1. I am sure you could have all kinds of lights go off and potentially be locked in some disabled mode.

Has anyone tried it yet? You could always benefit from stiffer spring rate on a race track, but supposedly the magnetic suspension can stiffen up significantly when required.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered my 2006 with the magnetic selective ride system. It worked OK for street tires, but as soon as I started running race compound tires it was horrible -- just too soft to counter the forces you can generate with R-comp tires.

So I replaced them with Penske double adjustable coil overs with dual rate springs. This gives me lots of adjustability so I can run full soft on the street and stiffen it up enough as needed for the track with r-comp tires.

As far as disconnecting the magnetic selective ride system -- The first thing that happens once you remove the shocks is the DIC says there is a problem with the mag selective ride and wants to limit speed to 80mph. I changed that to 155 mph using HP Tuners. Kind of fun to have the car warn you everytime you start it to stay under 155mph. Eventually I took it to a dealer to use their Tech2 programmer to de-option the car so it wouldn't keep giving me the warning.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignoring the ECM , do coil overs perform as good or better than the factory ZR1 setup?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you may be the first to do a side by side comparison...

If I had to guess, I would say that anything developed for the racetrack will work better than street/track compromise on factory cars.

I know that serious GT-R builds had dynamic factory setup replaced with racing coilovers so there's that...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have driven the ZR1 on VIR and Road America. I though the suspension was very good and quick to respond to the few times I went over the gaters, exiting T5 at Road America

It was still a bit soft, but not too bad.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 vs Coilovers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 ZR1 vs Coilovers