Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do lower oil temps provide lower coolant temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do lower oil temps provide lower coolant temps?

What is the experience the group has regards lowering oil temps with improved coolers also providing for lower coolant temps? Seems that it any way you can get heat out of the engine will help lower coolant temps.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

On my '88 I expected cooler coolant twice and it didn't really happen. The first time I rerouted the ATF away from the radiator to a separate cooler. Coolant temps only went down 5°. Next I removed the coolant to engine oil cooler and put in a separate oil cooler. Coolant temps again dropped about 5°. My oil temp dropped 30° in that case though. ATF about 10°.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like that makes sense. I have an oil integrated radiator that, as I got faster, was not providing the oil cooling I wanted anymore. I left the radiator in place for water cooling and put a monster Setrab oil cooler in front of the AC condenser.

The highest oil temp I have seen since the upgrade is 242 F. The cooler oil keeps the pressure a bit higher as well. Coolant temp has come down a few degrees, typically runs in the mid teens.

With all the fluid cooling I have now, one cool down lap and my oil temp is less than 210 when I hit the garage. Trans and Diff are next in line for cooling dollars.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I added the DRM aux oil cooler to my 2003 Z06 two years ago. It does a great job bringing the oil down approximately 30 deg. I did not see any noticable drop in coolant temps after the addition of the oil cooler. Just added the DeWitts radiator to the car and never saw over 226 deg coolant on a 107 deg ambient temp day at the end of a 30 minute session. Bringing the coolant temp down also dropped the oil temps 3-4 deg on average. Proper cooling is a necessity for engine longevity !!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

I t depends on how big your radiator is. an engine oil cooler will remove many BTU's from the engine, so if your radiator is close to capacity the coolant temps will drop. however if it's just loafing along then you won't see much of a decrease in coolant temps.

Get notified of new replies

To Do lower oil temps provide lower coolant temps?

Quick Reply: Do lower oil temps provide lower coolant temps?