Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 C6 vs GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 C6 vs GT3 RS

What's it going to take for me to take down a GT3 RS on the track? It's either a 996 or 997, with no further mods that I know of. It will be running full slicks with an experienced driver.

My car is a 05 Z51 with full ZR1 style body/aero etc.
Mod highlights:
Intake/Cam bolt-ons making 450 rwhp /420rwtq
Quantum Spindle mount brake ducts, with Hawk HP plus pads. Z51 Rotors and Calipers
Lg Tunnel Plate
Michelin PS2s but ready to move away form street tires.

Track will be Calabogie Motorsports Park full track. I plan on competing in the Calabogie Cup-Gentlemens Race. No restriction on mods as long as the car is plated, so no true race cars. The GT3 took second last time only to an Arial Atom (which isn't street legal anywhere in Canada so not sure why it was allowed to run) either way the Atom is out of reach, running 10 secs faster per lap than the GT3.Typically lap times are in the 2:20s, with 20 turns and over all length of 3 miles. It's a FAST track. I should also mention it is a 1 hour endurance race, with 1 mandatory 60 sec pit stop.

Where should I focus my efforts? R comps /Slicks are a given. Would Coilvers sways + racing alignment get me there. Maybe more power? or Both? Open to any suggestions, and yes I'm working on the driver mod with several more lapping days coming up. I consider myself an intermediate driver.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it sounds like you should be focusing on being able to complete 1 hour race safely, with nothing breaking down (including your body and your mental focus), before worrying about beating a GT3 with an experienced driver.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long is the race?

I was on track this year with a GT3RS and also some GT3's. I was about even with the GT3 RS maybe 1-2 s faster, I'd have to go over the video; he wouldn't let me pass and I lost him in traffic ultimately.
Most of it depends on how you compare to him as a driver on that track. I'd suggest training on that track with the set-up you intend to run--tires and brake pads all same so you are used to the braking/handling characteristics as well as the track.

As far as equipment, I would say you have more than enough power. I run Nitto RII and these GT3s were on street Michellin rubber I think. I would suggest slicks (since he will be on them) and you need good pads, HP+ will not at all be up to the job. Ditch them for wil wood H pads (endurance compound). These do crack rotors; it might take 7 hours if you get the better-than-OEM Centric rotors. On alignment--I do run an agressive street alignment but it's a stock suspension, I don't think you need suspension mods. When you pick the slicks, find out the typical alignment for those slicks.

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 08-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longdaddy
it sounds like you should be focusing on being able to complete 1 hour race safely, with nothing breaking down (including your body and your mental focus), before worrying about beating a GT3 with an experienced driver.
Agreed, this is critical. I have done a few 45 minute continuous sessions while lapping, running as hard as my skills allowed at the time. Temperatures were good, brakes stayed solid ( Calabogie isn't too hard on brakes overall ) and nothing went out of comfort range. I plan on running a couple 1 hour sessions before the race takes place. I feel that the stock cooling systems are up to the task so far in my experience, but wouldn't hesitate to upgrade if it becomes necessary. Maybe just do it anyways.

I'm physically and mentally able to compete for 1 hour, and I have no reason to believe so far that the car isn't up to the task mechanically.

No doubt, safety is the primary concern.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
How long is the race?

I was on track this year with a GT3RS and also some GT3's. I was about even with the GT3 RS maybe 1-2 s faster, I'd have to go over the video; he wouldn't let me pass and I lost him in traffic ultimately.
Most of it depends on how you compare to him as a driver on that track. I'd suggest training on that track with the set-up you intend to run--tires and brake pads all same so you are used to the braking/handling characteristics as well as the track.

As far as equipment, I would say you have more than enough power. I run Nitto RII and these GT3s were on street Michellin rubber I think. I would suggest slicks (since he will be on them) and you need good pads, HP+ will not at all be up to the job. Ditch them for wil wood H pads (endurance compound). These do crack rotors; it might take 7 hours if you get the better-than-OEM Centric rotors. On alignment--I do run an agressive street alignment but it's a stock suspension, I don't think you need suspension mods. When you pick the slicks, find out the typical alignment for those slicks.

Andy
Great info. What are the specs on your car? I do plan on going with a more track oriented pad, I'll do new rotors and pads right around the time of the race and all the usual prep. The race is one hour with one 60 second mandatory pit break. I won't need fuel. The GT3 is actually a SHE, and is an instructor at Tremblant. I think I will need the edge mechanically, there is no way I can match her skills by early next season. I will be modding this winter either way, but I don't have an unlimited budget. Maybe 10k.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Be consistent, dont over drive your car, your brakes or tires. Drive your race, not anyone or any other cars event.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Spectrel
Great info. What are the specs on your car? I do plan on going with a more track oriented pad, I'll do new rotors and pads right around the time of the race and all the usual prep. The race is one hour with one 60 second mandatory pit break. I won't need fuel. The GT3 is actually a SHE, and is an instructor at Tremblant. I think I will need the edge mechanically, there is no way I can match her skills by early next season. I will be modding this winter either way, but I don't have an unlimited budget. Maybe 10k.
Find out--confirm--what her set up is. I run in intermediate groups so when I see a car with street tires, I presume it's fairly stock.

My car is a stock C5Z. The only mods are an engine oil cooler, the wil H pads, headers, a hurst shifter, brake cooling ducts, and stainless brake lines. Tires Nitto RII. I was able to catch a stockish GT3 in my run group and would have gotten the pass but he chose to pit instead. GT3s stripped down with on Hoosiers were killing me. There were 2 that started the day on streets and I could keep up then moved to Hoosiers.

You have a lot more power then I do so if your skill is only a bit less than hers it should be possible to pass her. You need to get the power to the ground. The rotors will not be a problem in a 1 hr run.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First off I'd say get Bruce Gregory to take you out on the track in Richards silver Z06 race car to show you what 2.02 feels like. I was there last Sept running for two days and then had him take me out. That guy can drive! He'll show you the fast line around that track.

As for your current set up, you should be able to match the car, it's just going to come down to driving skills. If you are going to mod the car to give you an advantage over the driver, look at coilovers, sway bars, tweeking the alignment and then put a harness bar with harnesses in the car.
I was thrown around the car last time I was there and swore I'd go back with a harness set up. It's the safest way to go faster on that track.

Finally and this is the most important point...get an instructor to go out with you. Try to get an instructor familiar with Vettes, they'll show you how to properly balance the car around that track. You're never too good to learn more.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

What's it going to take for me to take down a GT3 RS on the track? It's either a 996 or 997, with no further mods that I know of. It will be running full slicks with an experienced driver.

My car is a 05 Z51 with full ZR1 style body/aero etc.
Mod highlights:
Intake/Cam bolt-ons making 450 rwhp /420rwtq
Quantum Spindle mount brake ducts, with Hawk HP plus pads. Z51 Rotors and Calipers
Lg Tunnel Plate
Michelin PS2s but ready to move away form street tires.

Track will be Calabogie Motorsports Park full track. I plan on competing in the Calabogie Cup-Gentlemens Race. No restriction on mods as long as the car is plated, so no true race cars. The GT3 took second last time only to an Arial Atom (which isn't street legal anywhere in Canada so not sure why it was allowed to run) either way the Atom is out of reach, running 10 secs faster per lap than the GT3.Typically lap times are in the 2:20s, with 20 turns and over all length of 3 miles. It's a FAST track. I should also mention it is a 1 hour endurance race, with 1 mandatory 60 sec pit stop.

Where should I focus my efforts? R comps /Slicks are a given. Would Coilvers sways + racing alignment get me there. Maybe more power? or Both? Open to any suggestions, and yes I'm working on the driver mod with several more lapping days coming up. I consider myself an intermediate driver.
Intermediate driver (sounds like HPDE driver) competing in a race? Let me know when the race is over, I may be interested in some spare parts! I hope it is not a real race.

Tim
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Intermediate driver (sounds like HPDE driver) competing in a race? Let me know when the race is over, I may be interested in some spare parts! I hope it is not a real race.

Tim
Not everyone has to take baby steps to get to W2W.
I have a couple of friends that currently run STO and never participated in track days or HPDE before W2W. Their dad came home with a Corvette and said "boys, we're going racing", and they can compete with anyone with comparable budget. Other guys have won championships in their very first year on the track.
It is very appropriate for some guys to autox, do years of HPDE, go to a high dollar program and then W2W; there are certain guys who don't need any of that and are just as safe, and quicker.
To each his own.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Not everyone has to take baby steps to get to W2W.
I have a couple of friends that currently run STO and never participated in track days or HPDE before W2W. Their dad came home with a Corvette and said "boys, we're going racing", and they can compete with anyone with comparable budget. Other guys have won championships in their very first year on the track.
It is very appropriate for some guys to autox, do years of HPDE, go to a high dollar program and then W2W; there are certain guys who don't need any of that and are just as safe, and quicker.
To each his own.
Yup we know lots of those folks too. those are the guys we buy spare parts and whole cars from.

In many cases W2W is much safer then HPDEs. Cars are safer, and drivers have or should have more respect for safety.

But then again, wanting to know how to "beat" another car, when they have had little track time or seat experience? Those are spare parts waiting to happen.

Learning to drive your car, your line, your race, being consistent, speed and results will come.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-25-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Alignment and corner balance. Without a racing alignment you're going to kill a set of tires in an hour.
Does the Z51 come with an oil cooler? You're gonna need one.
Are these caged race-cars? You'll be w2w? With $10k and months of time, I'd put in a cage and full seat before I went out banging fenders in nearly 500hp cars.

With the "unlimited mods", people will show up with all kinds of crazy FI setups that'll never last an hour, set-up yourself and your car to last until the end.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

I guess I should clear things up about the event. It's a "Gentlemens Race",this means passing is allowed anywhere on the track but by point by only, car in front keeps the racing line but once acknowledged the leading cars waives the fastest car by. Blue flags are used generously throughout the race. There is no door to door racing. Since these are all street cars setup differently, with a huge range of mods not to mention the huge difference driver skill there were only a couple real "battles" for position. I don't think any positions were taken after the field settled in 15 mins into the race unless someone screwed up their 60 second mandatory pit. It's for fun and bragging rights only, everyone is driving their own personal plated vehicle and there is zero tolerance for aggressive or unsafe behavior.

Last year was very successful with no incidents other than, some people with slower cars not giving way to the quicker cars. Variety of cars included Porche GT3, Arial Atom, Saleen Mustang , G35s, etc.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
DaBullish1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Braking Disadvantage

I have a 2005 C6 w/ Z51. I find that my brakes are the weakest link. I bleed, use new race pads, have LG spindle ducts and after 20 minutes of hard driving I start getting a soft pedal. The GT3's I have seen have huge Brembo brakes that are comparitively bullet proof. I don't know the track you are running and maybe it isn't as hard as CMP in Kershaw, SC. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

To answer the OPs questions the Z51 package includes:

Engine oil, power steering, and transmission coolers.

I may upgrade to the Z06 tanny cooler, as it's 3 times larger and bolts right in using the same lines.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaBullish1
I have a 2005 C6 w/ Z51. I find that my brakes are the weakest link. I bleed, use new race pads, have LG spindle ducts and after 20 minutes of hard driving I start getting a soft pedal. The GT3's I have seen have huge Brembo brakes that are comparitively bullet proof. I don't know the track you are running and maybe it isn't as hard as CMP in Kershaw, SC. Good luck and have fun.
What pads are you running? At Calabogie which isn't known to be hard on brakes, I had no fade after a 45 minute continuous session.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all who have posted so far, I've decided to go with LG G2 coil overs which I'll be picking up from another local CF member this week. I have not decided on sways yet.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 C6 vs GT3 RS

Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Youre making way more power than a stock gt3 rs. Get r comps and ditch the seats for good racing seats. You wont have any problems running down a stock gt3.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

I guess I should clear things up about the event. It's a "Gentlemens Race",this means passing is allowed anywhere on the track but by point by only, car in front keeps the racing line but once acknowledged the leading cars waives the fastest car by. Blue flags are used generously throughout the race. There is no door to door racing. .
This is exactly what I pictured. Not really "racing" but closer to HPDE.

I would go run there ASAP on slicks with the good pads and see how your temps are holding up, assuming the same outdoor temps (Fall= Spring). I think my engine oil cooler really helps. I finally got a trans-over temp warning for the first time on my last run because it was longer and on a hot day--you should practice w/at least 45 min sessions if not the full hour.

I don't think you need more power or suspension or brakes (other than pads) if you are relatively close to her in skill. If she has soooo much more talent&experience etc, then I would had more HP. The choice depends on your confidence in your driving skills on that track. Modding the driver is always cheaper.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say track time, good seat and harness, and tires. I am going to Calabogie for my 4th time this weekend. The track surface is as nice as you are going to find, so I think the suspension upgrades are not as important. However, there are a number of corner combinations that will give up a lot of time if you know how to take them. Temptation and the Quarry are two that come to mind. There are a few other places as well that will reward you if you stay on the gas and treat them as a single corner instead of multiple small ones. Things like that will make the difference.

Ken

Quick Reply: LS2 C6 vs GT3 RS