Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX'ed my Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AutoX'ed my Range Rover Sport Supercharged

A few pics and one vid of my Range Rover Sport Supercharged at Sunday's AAS event. I was co-driving a friend's 383 LT1 OSP car for the weekend, as well as another buddy's '67 Camaro (very built 355, TH400, all Global West/Hotchkis susp) on Sunday morning. In the afternoon we got 2 runs each in with the LT1 and the owner was on his 3rd run when his driver's side window broke. It was the weirdest thing, the window track broke, the window slid forward in the door (windows were down) under braking and it shattered. We didn't want to finish our runs and risk getting glass on the course so we un-hitched the tow rig and finished our runs with it.

My best runs was about 6 seconds slower than the LT1 (on a course that TTOD was a 37ish, and most cars were in the mid 40s, I ran a 49.8 w/ it), and honestly think there was a bit more in it. It actually worked surprisingly well and beat a pack of kids who were newer to AutoX with some Mustangs ('03 Cobra, '04 Mach1 with an aftermarket supercharger), a LS1 SS and a C6 base.

You could obviously feel the weight, but the active suspension did its job and kept it relatively flat. It would actually rotate nicely with some trail-braking but the computers kept it from putting the power down getting out of the turns (I had everything as turned off as I could figure out). Anyway, here are the pics and vids:

Vid:

The best part was when we were towing the LT1 back home with the Range my buddy and I were talking about trail-braking the Range and figuring out how to get it to rotate. At that moment I realized that was probably the first, and only, time in the history of the world that 2 guys were having a conversation about trail-braking a Range Rover at an AutoX. Haha.

-TJ
Old 08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

And here it is doing what it was intended to do for the weekend:

It towed wonderfully. Zero sway, plenty of power, stopped great (the trailer has brakes on both axles and I hooked up a brake controller in the Range so obviously that helps) and was really comfortable. Obviously if I towed a ton I'd switch to a diesel and a enclosed, but for my use I love this setup.

-TJ
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Hahaha awesome.

One year my Dad's 86 was broken...so rather than sit and watch an autox we took our old 87 3/4 Van with a 5.7. Had a fair bit of body roll haha. The best is the pit area. Everyone empties their cars...floor mats, notebook and pens, garage door opener...ect. Behind our spot we had everything from the last 15 years: Golf *****, Coloring books, giant plastic bin with chains and tow straps, boat anchor, ect...We had about a 5ft high pile lol. We wanted to run with 7 people in it but they wouldn't let us. It actually did beat 1 Vette.

Our new tow rig won't fit under the bridges at Brainerd
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

tech guys must have loved you
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first car I ever saw flip over was a lunch box looking vehicle such as yours. You are braver than I.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Goodyear was out here recently for a press event, and all of the writers did autocross with our police package Tahoes. I think it was the most fun they had all day. The Range looks like it'd be just as much fun.

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX'ed my Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Quick Reply: AutoX'ed my Range Rover Sport Supercharged