Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a bit of front camber feel noticeably better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Will a bit of front camber feel noticeably better?

Greetings,

I had my alignment re-done earlier in the spring after my first event. I went from -1.25 deg camber (don't know how it got that low) in front to -1.5 deg camber up there. Plus I had the toe zero'd out in front, but I don't think there was much before.

Anyway--I really enjoy the noticable improvement in handling this change made when I drive it on the street. If I step up to 1.7 deg or even 1.9 deg, will it get markedly better? I only kept it down out of tire wear considerations since I do so much street driving. Now I don't care--the handling improvement is worth a little $$

Opinion? Experience?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have -1.75 and when I drive a lot on the street I don't get to the outside edge of the tires... but a track day will quickly wear them...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It depends on what tire you have. Yes typically more chamber helps but on street tires you dont need a whole lot. I have -1.7 and zero toe for street driving and -2.0 chamber and 1/16 total toe out on the race tires. I need more for the race tires but I am at the limit of my cars adjustments, for now....

Next time you are at the track see if you can take tire temps with a tire pyrometer. You should measure the temps on the inside middle and outside of the tire. If they are within 10* of each other you are good, no more than a 15-20* spread accross the whole tire (some tire manufacturers may vary on what they like). If the inside is hotter you have too much chamber, if the outside is hotter you need more.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just last weekend went to -1.75* with 1/16" toe out in the front, and it feels light years better than the stock Z06 values - on the street and at the track.

From what I've read, toe is the real culprit in tire wear. So, as long as you keep that to a minimum, you can run a good amount of camber before realizing excessive wear.

I'm running PS2s, and chewed up the outside shoulder pretty quickly. I think I need more - actually. -2.0* would probably work better as I'm still eating the outsides just not as quickly, but the wear pattern has crept slightly towards the middle of the tire.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VTME13
I just last weekend went to -1.75* with 1/16" toe out in the front, and it feels light years better than the stock Z06 values - on the street and at the track.

From what I've read, toe is the real culprit in tire wear. So, as long as you keep that to a minimum, you can run a good amount of camber before realizing excessive wear.

I'm running PS2s, and chewed up the outside shoulder pretty quickly. I think I need more - actually. -2.0* would probably work better as I'm still eating the outsides just not as quickly, but the wear pattern has crept slightly towards the middle of the tire.
It's funny that you guys are chewing the outsides. I get more wear on the insides especially on the street. I attribute the inside wear to camber. However, I've ceased to care, since from now on I'll always invest in symmmetrical treaded tires and just flip them anyway.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only see the outside wear on track - I'm running almost exclusively at Summit. On the street, they never roll that far. It only took 3 good weekends at Summit to burn the outside of driver's side front... 7 right handers to the 3 lefts.

Since I haven't found the directional indicators on my PS2s yet, I think I am going to flip the fronts this time and see how that works.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You need about 3/4" of toe-in to make it really handle.

I don't know that you will feel the difference in another 1/4 degree negative, but you might see a difference in lap times.

As far as wear goes, I ran 2 degrees negative and nearly zero toe on another car and it did not have a huge effect on wear until I jacked in a massive amount of toe-out.

Last edited by UstaB-GS549; 08-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

3/4 toe out? you must be kidding from the other thread right?

Camber for street only? 1.25-1.75 tops.......1.75-2.25 if you HPDE/street......2.25-3.00 if you track the car exclusively.

JMHO
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
3/4 toe out? you must be kidding from the other thread right?

Camber for street only? 1.25-1.75 tops.......1.75-2.25 if you HPDE/street......2.25-3.00 if you track the car exclusively.

JMHO
Yep. Just kidding.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a bit of front camber feel noticeably better?

Quick Reply: Will a bit of front camber feel noticeably better?