Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spherical Bearings or add 15whp???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Spherical Bearings or add 15whp???

I am on the fence about about changing from Poly to Spherical, or getting my heads ported and picking up roughly 15whp...

They both cost about the same, but I don't have the money to do both right now.

So I was wondering which mod would produce a bigger difference in laptimes...anyone have any direct experience with this?

All the threads I have read about Poly to Spherical typically talk about how it feels, and dont list actual laptime improvements. As far as whp, I have always heard that adding 10whp should yield about a half sec drop in laptime.

Any input is appreciated
Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by throwit
I am on the fence about about changing from Poly to Spherical, or getting my heads ported and picking up roughly 15whp...

So I was wondering which mod would produce a bigger difference in laptimes...anyone have any direct experience with this?

All the threads I have read about Poly to Spherical typically talk about how it feels, and dont list actual laptime improvements. As far as whp, I have always heard that adding 10whp should yield about a half sec drop in laptime.

Any input is appreciated
i vote bearings and get more seat time then you dont need the 15 hp
Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the spherical bearings. I put the Pfadt sphericals in this year and it transfromed my car on the track. I don't have a before-and-after comparison, but I can tell you the handling is improved and I was able to reduce the amount of camber. The car is hooked up!!!!

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 08-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i vote bearings and get more seat time then you dont need the 15 hp
Agreed.

HP is sexy as hell, but seat time makes you faster
Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I vote for the spherical bearings. I put the Pfadt spericals in this year and it transfromed my car on the track. I don't have a before-and-after comparison, but I can tell you the handling is improved and I was able to reduce the amount of camber. The car is hooked up/!!!!
Interesting....

Hey buddy!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 PM
throwit
Drifting

Would it make a difference if the heads were being Mamofied?

Seems strange that no one, so far, thinks 15 more whp equates to lower laptimes than spherical bearings...especially considering I already run poly.

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Would it make a difference if the heads were being Mamofied?

Seems strange that no one, so far, thinks 15 more whp equates to lower laptimes than spherical bearings...especially considering I already run poly.

Thanks again.
maybe because we know. poly still flexes and it binds and wears out. we see guys with 100 hp more than us and they can't keep up.

seat time and suspension and really, really good tires will always kick *** on a little HP
Old 08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
throwit
Drifting

suspension and really, really good tires will always kick *** on a little HP
cool, thanks bud
Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I vote for the spherical bearings. I put the Pfadt spericals in this year and it transfromed my car on the track. I don't have a before-and-after comparison, but I can tell you the handling is improved and I was able to reduce the amount of camber. The car is hooked up/!!!!
Sorry to thread hijack a bit, but what did you change your alignment to/from when switching to the bearings? I just put them in my C5Z.

-TJ
Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any input is appreciated
10 hp will not get you a half a second IMHO. I would say tenth of a second on 1:30 track.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Neither, send whatever you were planning on spending to me and I will give it a good home! This way you don't have to make these tough decisions.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of spherical solutions out there now, too: LGM, DRM, Pfadt, Black Dog. Curious if anybody has looked at multiple brands?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

What Engine?? What mods to the engine? Cam with the port work??
Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe because we know. poly still flexes and it binds and wears out. we see guys with 100 hp more than us and they can't keep up.

seat time and suspension and really, really good tires will always kick *** on a little HP

312hp to the wheels and pass guys in 600hp Corvettes (not on the straights).
Sphericals will transform the handling of your car. Poly's bind really bad!
When I installed them I was blown away at the difference. You have to experience it, to believe it. Most significant difference is when you turn the steering wheel....your car turns. Also things seem smoother because the tires stay on the track.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I say 15 HP if you are racing, you pass on the straights and breaking zones rarely mid corner.

I changed from delrin bushings because all the "suspension experts" were telling me I'm binding, I'm binding that's why the car isn't dropping, there's bind. Well I switched to spherical and the car still sits at the same height go figure there is no difference.

To be honest I haven't driven the car like I did last year so I don't really have great comparisons but I still have had it out a few times with the change and I didn't notice any great transformation. I also don't notice 15 HP either unless you are side by side down the back straight trying to get to that corner first.

Will you get a little different feel? sure. Will it make you faster? That depends on your driving ability and how you adjust to the car. IMO HP will make you faster no matter what, it doesn't take any skill to push that right foot down and to extract it from suspension upgrades that's where seat time and skill come into play, I've out cornered may tricked out cars with a plain old stock suspenstion, rubber bushings and all.

What do your class rules say about it? If you are only running HPDE go with the HP you can't pass in the corners anyways.

Also make sure you grease those poly bushings

Last edited by L98Terror; 08-29-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I never understood all this binding on poly, To show a hammer or what ever small weight on an A-arm to bring it down is nothing compared to the forces a car on track creates. Keeping alignment better than poly yes.` Keeping better contact patch yes.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-29-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bink
What Engine?? What mods to the engine? Cam with the port work??
good point to look at the whole package.

Get notified of new replies

To Spherical Bearings or add 15whp???

Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Sorry to thread hijack a bit, but what did you change your alignment to/from when switching to the bearings? I just put them in my C5Z.

-TJ
I run Hoosier A6 or R6 tires. Before the sphericals I had the car set up with about 3 degrees of negative camber in the front and 1.5 degrees in the rear. I couldn't believe it, but I was actually wearing out the inside edge of the front tires with this alignment.

I now run 2.5 degrees of negative camber in front and no change (1.5 degrees) in the rear. Tire wear and grip are great with these camber settings. Different tires like different amounts of camber, but for Hoosiers, this is the ticket with the Pfadt sphericals. I also have camber lock-outs, GM T-1 fiberglass springs and sway bars with adjustable end links, Penske double adjustable remote reservoir shocks.

Good luck...

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 08-29-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What tracks are you running on?

When you tell us what tracks you run, we can find times for stock Corvettes. Might be surprised how fast stock / suspension modifications can be driven.

Just ask our NASA PTA boys in here
Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pfadt's poly kit (which is as far as we can go in TT/PT) was worth enough feel and lap time, I'd be really tempted to see what the bearings could do beyond that. You could set up your dynamic camber to max out your speed/corner grip, and if it allows you to stand the tire up a little more than before, you should gain a bit in braking and corner exit bite.

"15 RWHP" is too vague of a term to predict any lap time gain. Where in the rev band is it making it? If you are just shifting the torque curve east on the graph and not really MAKING more torque, it's not going to show up as much more speed. If you are taking the existing torque curve and moving the WHOLE thing north 10 or 15 ft/lbs, then it's going to show up a bunch more.

Quick Reply: Spherical Bearings or add 15whp???