Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run a PCV valve in the fresh air line vs. a 2nd catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone run a PCV valve in the fresh air line vs. a 2nd catch can?

Wouldn't a PCV valve prevent oil from migrating from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle-body whenever the conditions were right for that line to be pressurised?

The valve would close and crank pressure would be vented through the valley cover PCV port like normal. When under vaccum, pulling in fresh air to balance pressure, the PCV valve would open and the line would operate normally right?

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fresh air line is also the blow by outlet under load (no vacuume) The PCV system only draws air into the intake during low throttle high vacuume conditions. Either run a filter on the oil cap (simple) and cap the line to the tb or run the fresh air line to a catch can with a breather. Yes this will draw in a tiny amount of unmetered air, but only during closed loop conditions and the fuel trims should handle it no problem.

I run the the fresh air line and I also tapped the plug on the rear of the drivers side valve cover to run two 3/8 lines (one from each valve cover) to a vented catch can. Working great for the past 3 years. I also have a sealed catch can in the pcv line from the valley cover to clean up the manifold a little bit.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to install the two catch can setup as the second picture in this thread shows.

I'm getting so much oil in the intake on my 427 LS2 on track, I'm going this route to hopefully, eliminate the issue once and for all. I got meatballed for smoke and pulled the intake tube to check and sure enough, a ton of oil in the throttle body and intake.

John
E36 LS2

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone run a PCV valve in the fresh air line vs. a 2nd catch can?

Quick Reply: Anyone run a PCV valve in the fresh air line vs. a 2nd catch can?