Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing & ALMS Comes to Baltimore - Any Local Clubs Planning to Attend?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Corvette Racing & ALMS Comes to Baltimore - Any Local Clubs Planning to Attend?

Just curious if any of the local Corvette clubs are planning group attendance at the 2011 Grand Prix of Baltimore now that the ALMS and Corvette Racing will be joining the Indy Racing Series over Labor Day weekend next year?

Info:

http://wjz.com/seenon/indy.car.racing.2.1891297.html
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I will be there.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvette Club of America and Cornercravers will both be well represented.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe they are coming to Baltimore. When I heard about racing through the Baltimore city streets, I thought they were talking about cops chasing drug dealers. I remember being stuck on the beltway (traffic just stops) more than once for such a chase.

The streets down there are the worst I have ever encountered--hopefully the whole place gets re-paved. It's a joke--you can feel where the County/City line is on 295 going in, since the city has not re-paved it since the 60's. I've never taken either of my Corvettes down there--not a place to go with a stiff suspension.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 09-02-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I can't believe they are coming to Baltimore. When I heard about racing through the Baltimore city streets, I thought they were talking about cops chasing drug dealers. I remember being stuck on the beltway (traffic just stops) more than once for such a chase.

The streets down there are the worst I have ever encountered--hopefully the whole place gets re-paved. It's a joke--you can feel where the County/City line is on 295 going in, since the city has not re-paved it since the 60's. I've never taken either of my Corvettes down there--not a place to go with a stiff suspension.
Streets are being smoothed and re-paved as we speak. As Johnny O'Connell said yesterday in his interview by the local media, the sound of the cars screaming through downtown should be incredible bouncing off the tall buildings. Indy and ALMS all in one place - I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!

* Kevlar vests optional.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

For the IRL to run, it has to be pretty smooth. They told St Petersburg they had to shave down the street markers as they were getting too tall and causing issues. Haven't been down there to see if they actually did it or not. Baltimore should certainly make for a cool street race next year...not that I'll be there.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Mmmmm may have to figure out the vacation time for this one.

I went to the one and only Wash DC ALMS race and it was interesting and a fun weekend.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I intend to try to get there....
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
vetdude
Race Director

It should be a fantastic weekend, however, for those Corvette brothers and sisters who plan to attend, I would strongly suggest you DO NOT bring your Corvettes to Baltimore.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Streets are being smoothed and re-paved as we speak.
* Kevlar vests optional.
Isn't it funny how 50 years of pot holes could never be repaired for the taxpayers, but to attract a race, suddenly it can all be budgeted at once? They will have to tear the streets apart and start over.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
For the IRL to run, it has to be pretty smooth. They told St Petersburg they had to shave down the street markers as they were getting too tall and causing issues. Haven't been down there to see if they actually did it or not. Baltimore should certainly make for a cool street race next year...not that I'll be there.
We raced on the streets of St. Pete in the 80's, with the Trans-Am Series (ok, I crewed, not raced). The first year (85?), the course went out and back on the pier. It worked ok in practice and qualifing, but in the race someone got sideways in the middle of the turn and brought the whole race to a stop on the pier! They didn't use the pier in following years.

Street races always offer some interesting challenges. Not just street markers, but storm drains and man hole covers can cause trouble too. We lost a trans racing on the streets of Detroit, after we bent the scatter shield and input shaft, hitting a man hole.

I'm not a big fan of street races, I much prefer a real road course, but any race that's only 2 hours from home, I'm going to try to get to.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Isn't it funny how 50 years of pot holes could never be repaired for the taxpayers, but to attract a race, suddenly it can all be budgeted at once? They will have to tear the streets apart and start over.
So true, but, it also helps when an outside interest (Indy Racing) chips in!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by vetdude
It should be a fantastic weekend, however, for those Corvette brothers and sisters who plan to attend, I would strongly suggest you DO NOT bring your Corvettes to Baltimore.
They (IMSA) will probably set up a Corvette Corral at this event and I would guess they'd set it up in the Ravens Stadium parking lot. Easy in and out from the highways. No reason to leave the Corvette at home if you buy a Corral ticket(s)....
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glennm27
They (IMSA) will probably set up a Corvette Corral at this event and I would guess they'd set it up in the Ravens Stadium parking lot. Easy in and out from the highways. No reason to leave the Corvette at home if you buy a Corral ticket(s)....
As someone else mentioned, the stadium lots will probably reserved for the teams and all their support equipment (tractor trailers, etc.). Being very familair with Baltimore, it's hard to imagine any large open space secure enough to accomodate car corrals.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing & ALMS Comes to Baltimore - Any Local Clubs Planning to Attend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Racing & ALMS Comes to Baltimore - Any Local Clubs Planning to Attend?