Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline oil vs other synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline oil vs other synthetic oils

Been using Redline 5w30 for the last year in my 07 Z with 36000mls.
Ive noticed that my LS7 consuming 2x more of Redline (hard driving conditions) from what ive used in the past such as Mobil 1 and Castrol both 5w30.
Is this normal?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
TDBurke
Intermediate

How much oil is it using over what time period or length of driving?

In cars that I have used multiple brands of synthetic in they have always used less oil with Redline than they have with Mobil1, Pennzoil and Castrol in the same weight with similar usage. I currently run Redline in everything I own, tow rig, daily driver, track and race cars.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Lets put it this way, Ive got an lpe large drysump. If my oil levels is a touch below full mark and i drive my car like a maniac for 2 days, i would say id have to add 1/2 quart or a bit more.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Are we talking the same car used less oil before RedLine or a different car?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM
TDBurke
Intermediate

If you're asking me. In my experience the same car used less oil running Redline than any of the "available at Walmart" brands. My cars (that consumed oil, an older 3500 dually and a Honda) used more M1 than anything else.

To the OP if you are using that much oil in street usage even if it's "like a maniac" I don't think that is right.

I would really document your usage so you can put numbers to your mileage and actual consumption. Two days of driving could be 100 miles, it could be 600 miles.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter77
Lets put it this way, Ive got an lpe large drysump. If my oil levels is a touch below full mark and i drive my car like a maniac for 2 days, i would say id have to add 1/2 quart or a bit more.
If you're talking about 1/2 quart during HPDE driving, I wouldn't worry about that in the least. You're going to burn some, you're going to have some blowby, and you're going to get some up through the PCV.

That being said, all oils DO act differently. When I worked as an engine builder at a major NASCAR and Rolex engine shop, we tested just about every oil you can think of. The two most consistent, highest performing oils (temperature, HP, pressure stability, etc) were Mobil 1 5w30 and Valvoline VR1 racing oil. I use the VR1 racing in my Z because the higher viscosity and the hot summer temperatures in Texas tend to result in more stable behavior. I go back to Mobil 1 during the winter months because of the Z non-thermostatically controlled oil cooler. Redline tested fine with the others, but those were the top two performing. We ran our motors with gapless rings, so we never measured blowby losses with different oils.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 AM
shifter77
Drifting

Z51, that great info. Thanks. Iam going to perform a mileage test during hard driving conditions with a full tank of oil and post my info.
P.S. Will perform test on closed course.

Get notified of new replies

To Redline oil vs other synthetic oils

Quick Reply: Redline oil vs other synthetic oils