Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 oiling - need honest input

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C6 Z06 oiling - need honest input

Hi all. I've got an '07 Z06 that I'm using primarily for street driving but I am also running HPDE's. I haven't run the car *that* had at HPDEs yet as I've been getting used to the jump from an '87 Z51 to the Z06. However, I run with the yellow group at The Driver's Edge and am doing my red group checkride first session out at my next event. I'm running on Hoosiers with Pfadt Inverted shocks and a Pfadt SS front bar. I know the oiling system is a weak link with suspension upgrades, sticky tires, and an experienced driver.

The car will NOT be used for competition, HPDE only (a couple of times a year). I'm building my '87 into the dedicated track car for serious abuse. I've seen that the '09-'11 oil pan and a larger capacity tank or even just the tank may be sufficient to ensure the health of the motor during these conditions. I'm trying to balance ensuring the health of the motor without going overboard and dropping a ton of cash that can otherwise be spent on the track car.

So, for this type of setup, what does people's experience say is needed?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I have been running my 08 for a year with no issues. The major culprit seems to be long high g left hand turns which is common to a lot of LS Series engines. When the 97s started hitting the track people had similar issues. Probably one way to avoid them is to avoid running the engine to red line and shifting around 6500 rpm instead of 7000. Running high g corners in 4th Vs 3rd is one example of limiting exposure.

Bill
Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Been running an 06' for 4 years, not problems at all.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Its probably best to list the changes that GM made in the 09+ vehicles as the why - left handers - has been stated:
  1. Larger dry-sump tank
  2. Higher capacity scavenging section of the oil pump.

The easiest thing to do is nothing.

Step one of a long list of things that you can do is to buy the 09+ tank and pump and have them installed in your car.

From there its only a matter of cubic-dollars.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+-+LS7+and+LS9

"The expanded performance envelope of the [2009] LS9 requires modifications to the dry sump system originally used on the LS7. The capacity of the lubrication system has been increased and scavenge performance improved to meet the demands of Chevrolet's highest-ever peformance sports car. Many of these modifications also apply to the LS7. Changes affect the LS9 oil pump, oil cooler, and oil pan, and the LS7/LS9 oil filter and dry sump oil reservoir [my emphasis]."
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my 06Z for 3 years+ without any issue (on Hoosiers and advanced driver). With that said, this year, I sprung for the Lingenfelter tank. I didn't change the pan or the pump, just did the extra capacity dry sump.

You can go with the OEM, but it is something like $1500 vs. $550 Lingenfelter tank. They both add the same capacity.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
bobk469101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run with the drivers edge also so i know the tracks you will run. you can do the tank and pump if you want or just dont run the roval at texas motor speedway . if you run it without mods you will loose your motor. i have a 08 z and a 01 z t-1 car i have slicks on the 08 and have never had an issue on a flat track but the high bank tracks will kill your motor. if you have any questions just pm me . bob
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the LPE tank, Advaid baffle or Advaid baffle & windage tray, IMO

Last edited by Cloaked323; 09-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As has been said in the other responses it has all to do with how sticky a tire you are running (Hoosiers are very sticky) and whether the track you're running has long left turn sweepers. Dreamin has excellent documented proof of the oil pressure dropping on several tracks with the stock setup and also documentation of the problem disappearing with a higher capacity dry sump tank.

With the tires you're running I wouldn't chance it without at least a higher capacity dry sump tank .

John
Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

let me start with a disclaimer that I do not own a C6Z06 and out of a few dozen C6Z owners I have met personally on the track, only 2 have had engine reliability issues (or at least were willing to mention it - see below), they also happen to be some of the faster drivers I have seen.

now that I have that out of the way i have seen it implied several times that oil tank upgrade in 09+ models was intended by GM to address LS7 oiling issues in sweeping high rpm left handers.

it makes far more sense that the only reason that upgrade happened was that LS9 had different oiling requirements and it was too inefficient/costly to source/produce 2 separate system - one for 7 and one for 9.

if bigger tank does indeed completely solve whatever the issue is, I wonder why it took both GM and aftermarket engineers 4 years to figure it out. Call me paranoid, but something does not add up - I have a hunch that people are getting a little too excited that adding a few quarts of oil into the system cures what seems to be a pretty complex issue.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car blew the original engine
i installed an lpe tank with aviaid baffle with the new engine
no more explosions

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 oiling - need honest input

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 oiling - need honest input