Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are the Vararam's so cheap these days

Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Why are the Vararam's so cheap these days

I have been considering putting one of these on a dedicated track car, C5Z, engine is stock except for Headers and a tune. Seems like improving the feeding side of the engine would be an inexpensive, non-invasive, performance boost. The VR-2B appears to be the only model available.

I know the quality sux, but I have decent modification skills so I am not worried about the install. That there seems to be a synchronized major price drop does concern me, no idea why.

Any reason I would want to avoid this mod other than the overall quality of the piece...I expect I will be improving it before completing the install.

Last edited by kmagvette; 09-07-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: can't speel
Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I just pulled my vararam off my C5Z (I guess I can sell it cheap if anybody wants it). I needed to install a front tow hook and it was in the way. I replaced the vararam with the stock intake tube and a haltech filter. My last track weekend at Thunderhill I logged my top speeds down the main straight to see if the vararam gave me any top end advantage. Turns out I was peaking at 134-136 mph with the halltech filter, which is the same as I was doing with the vararam.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

better intakes on the market ?

guys learning that covering up the fog light / Z06 screens with duct tape is better aerodynamics.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Looks like I should take some more time to consider options before slapping a potentially disposable option on the feeding end. I never considered taping the screens...I will have to do that next time at the track to see if I can measure any difference.

That there is no perceived difference between the Halltech and Vararam is intriguing...I would have figured that there should be some benefit to the mild increase in pressure.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Thanks guys. Looks like I should take some more time to consider options before slapping a potentially disposable option on the feeding end. I never considered taping the screens...I will have to do that next time at the track to see if I can measure any difference.

That there is no perceived difference between the Halltech and Vararam is intriguing...I would have figured that there should be some benefit to the mild increase in pressure.
Yeah, me too. Of course my "test" was not very scientific, but I have been to T-hill many times and my speeds with the halltech were consistent with all my previous track days with the vararam.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe it is just because the company just wants to sell more of them. It is a great intake. The quality could be better but once it is installed you wouldn't know the difference.

There has always been the issue of testing versus something else because it needs to be dynamic, while driving due to the ram air issue and not just on a dyno.

There is absolutely no doubt it gets the coolest air available while driving as it scoops air from the front. Other filters sit and bake in the heat of the engine compartment and there is no barrier between the heat compartment and the filter compartment.

For those that do not know if the air is cooler it is more dense and leads to higher power.

Still has the common sense vote X 1000%.

I would take advantage of the lower price and buy one.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something. I checked their web site and it's going for $339.
seems a lot for two plastic ducts and a filter. I realize the benefit of the cold air, just seems a bit much. What did it used to go for?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Duct tape may work, but this is what I did to clean up the fog light bucket area. What happened is one of my buckets was broken so rather than replace it I made some filler panels.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Duck tape being temporary until filler panels can be made
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Nice work on the fill panels.

Various forum vendors and fleaBay are selling the Vararam VR-2B for $250-$260.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are the Vararam's so cheap these days

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are the Vararam's so cheap these days