Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Summerfest at MAM video

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Corvette Summerfest at MAM video

The event was put on by Cornhusker Corvette Club, which was celebrating their 50th anniversary. Great times, great friends, great fun!

Here are a couple of videos from the weekend, the first day was 6-low speed autocrosses at Mid America Center, the second day was 3-high speed events at Mid America Motorplex (MAM).

At MAM, I would like some feedback on my lines. I've watched some T1 videos from MAM, and I run a bit of a different line than most, particularly turns 12+13, and turns 2+3. I didn't quite flat-foot 12+13, but was flat coming into 3. Seems like quite a few people lift earlier than I do, which may be why I feel like I'm always playing catch-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wFemq9OO_s
Video of my fastest run, ruined by a poor exit from the last corner. Shoulda, woulda, coulda been in the 1:37's in this configuration. Time was a 1:38.02x, still lowered my previous record of 1:38.8xx, but not what it could have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYD7kuKEuk
Video of a run that frankly shows I may be pushing a bit too hard for an event where there is no money involved. Shifted to 4th on the exit of the left handed carousel, and got a bit of wheel spin. I must've over-corrected which sent the car off to the right. I put two wheels off, never lifted, but surely lost a bit of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariKhkZEhHY
Video of my fastest run on Sunday, fun and fast course! Sure wish 2nd gear was juuuuuuuust a bit longer, as I really don't like to use the rev-limiter as much as I did.

Thanks for watching, anyone out there with thoughts or suggestions? (besides to be patient and stop playing with the gear shift before I take off on my runs!) I want to get back down there for a FAST FRIDAY event to see what an actual lap time with a warm-up lap would be. I stayed consistent in the 1:38's all day long, but with the speed differential between taking the green vs. going through the finish, I'm sure there are at least a few tenths in there somewhere! I'm always trying to improve, and you guys are the best at making that happen!

Last edited by BFoster; 09-08-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Darkhalf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian, nice runs!
Whew I about had to strap myself down on the computer chair after watching those.
Those 4.10's are keeping you busy and your rev limiter happy instead of keeping your hands and focus on the wheel!
A few of us are heading to MAM next Friday 17th. Should come out.

Later
Josh
Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn looks like a great event will have to try to make it next year.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 AM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Darkhalf
Hey Brian, nice runs!
Whew I about had to strap myself down on the computer chair after watching those.
Those 4.10's are keeping you busy and your rev limiter happy instead of keeping your hands and focus on the wheel!
A few of us are heading to MAM next Friday 17th. Should come out.

Later
Josh
AHHH!!! I'll be in Florida for a wedding, otherwise I'd be all for it! Do you have any plans of going back for any other Fast Fridays this year? I have another z06 buddy in Clive that wants to get back there again, maybe we'll have to set up a date to caravan down for a little fun!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
2bridges
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you are having some serious fun!!!!!!

you guys running front brake cooling? what power level you making?

Have run MAM a few times in a prepared Porsche 944 turbo.
Have not run procharged Z at MAM road coarse yet.

I am a bit paranoid about running 550rwhp with no real front brake cooling, stickies V710s and fpc 01race pads. Common sense tells me that is a bad combo to expect the brakes to endure.

In my Porsche MAM was tough on brakes, I expect it to be worse with a heavier/more powerful car. - would love to hear your guys input in regard to your brake setup/cooling.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

I agree, MAM is pretty tough on brakes. I don't have any cooling, and am running HP+ pads, both not good for a track like this. Fortunately, since we only run one lap, I don't cook the brakes too badly. The pedal gets mushy by the end of the day, and I'm definitely putting out a bit of smoke from the brakes when I come in. If I run more laps at speed, I'd need ducts and better pads for sure!

I found earlier this year that the stock brakes are not adequate for lapping events at high speed tracks, Road America in particular. I just can't change calipers without changing class in NCCC. If I go with aftermarket calipers, I have to cage the car. If I cage the car, then I'm classed with race cars, and I don't have the power to run fast with them.

Heck, with the simple mods done to my car, I only dyno at 365hp to the wheels.

Hope this helps, I am by no means an expert!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BFoster
Thanks for watching, anyone out there with thoughts or suggestions?
Yes, I have one!

(besides to be patient and stop playing with the gear shift before I take off on my runs!)
D'oh! Never mind...

-michael
Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
vette purist
7th Gear

Default nice job

Just suggestions to try but let the stop watch be your guide. You have excellent car control skills. Very nice.

Some areas to look at.

Turn 1.

Turn in is a tick too early due to entry speed a little too much. Your fighting to get the car back for turn 2 and you are in steady state throttle rather than full throttle bursts between 1 and 2. Obviously the 4.10 gear changes things but 4th gear between 1 and 3 seems lazy. You might try getting into third before you turn in for turn 1 and have the extra rpms to make a straight iine as possible and rocket into turn 3 The downchange to third you made in the middle of turn 3 seemed to really slow you down. Remember at MAM your never drivng on a flat surface. It is heavily crowned for water runoff. Thats why all the corner entrys are difficult because of the tracks off camber aspects.

Turn 3.

I rarely let the car come all the way out to the turn in cone layed out on the outside of the track. When you let it come out that far you are on the off camber part of the track, however it does allow the track to open up on exit but you are traveling a long distance to get out to that turn in cone. If you can left foot brake its a huge advantage to help with the middle of turn 3 struggling with push (all cars push in turn 3) to get back on the power earlier. I rarely let my right front tires come over the middle seam in the track. Your corner exit is perfect. Work on getting the push under control and full throttle a little bit earlier. Again something to try but let the stopwatch be your guide.

turn 4.

Perfect.

turns 5-6. Very aggresive I like that. Your entry speed is a bit much and your fighing the car down to get back to full power. Notice your steering inputs when your on the right hand side of the seam in the mddle. Off camber makes you struggle. Your perfect on the exit. Just work on the entry to get back on the power a couple ticks sooner. Very good though.

turns 7-8

I like to turn in a little earlier than you did and let the camber of the track help me get the car into the corner. Let the car come over the seam,(it will want to push) left foot braking to control the push midcorner and then back on the power early. Your getting a better shot off the corner going out to that turn in cone, but your traveling a great distance to that cone to only maximize a short straight away. Shorten the distance and you should pick up a few tenths.

9-10-11

Your coming in really fast and fighting the car through the whole section. Tidy it up a bit and there may be a few tenths in there. Maybe

Overall nice job. You have the ability and the aggresiveness. Just need to refocus on the entry points to attack at the proper moments.

Have fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

A guy couldn't ask for better feedback than that. Thank you, Vette Purist! I'll take those notes to the track, and see what can be done!

I have to assume you are somewhat local to the track, Do you regularly attend events there?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
vette purist
7th Gear

I instruct for the Full Throttle Racing Experience at MAM.

http://drivefullthrottle.com/

I also assist with many of the car clubs that come to MAM if they are short on instructors.

Brian with your ability you really need to go racing. Your at a high level right now. I don't know what tires you are on or if you have suspension mods but you and the car look to be working well.. You would be a competitive t1 driver right now.

We have an advanced program for those that are wanting more than the basic orientation and can work with any levels. Your level would be beyond that. Theres more left for you but I'd recommend caging the car as you are pushing pretty hard. MAM is a safe track but if your pushing this hard at Road America a cage is a must in your near future.

Be safe.

If any of you guys are coming to a fast friday and would like additional instruction let me know.. If I can't make it we have plenty of good instructors available.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Vette Purist...........who are you???

T.B.?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 PM
vette purist
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Hey Vette Purist...........who are you???

T.B.?
To quote Dave Shappel. I'm Rick James #@#. LOL

Hey Steve,

Try TJ buddy. Two Full Throttle instructors here? No good can come of this.

Last edited by vette purist; 09-11-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HA!!! Should have known......T.B. could never have been so long winded!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Higgs
Racer

Looks like a fun event; will have to try to participate next year.

Hopefully Fast Friday this week will be some good practice!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Vette Purist- thank you for the compliments! Of course I'd love to get into T1, but it seems to be getting more and more expensive. I'll send you a PM if I get a chance to come down for a fast friday, haven't done one yet!

Higgs- This event is a must! I haven't seen you out this year, have you been racing much lately?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Higgs
Racer

Originally Posted by BFoster
Vette Purist- thank you for the compliments! Of course I'd love to get into T1, but it seems to be getting more and more expensive. I'll send you a PM if I get a chance to come down for a fast friday, haven't done one yet!

Higgs- This event is a must! I haven't seen you out this year, have you been racing much lately?
Not really, at least with the Vette. Had a few scheduling conflicts prevent me from being able to attend Chariton, Newton, etc.

A few buddies of mine have been racing in the LeMons and ChumpCar series though... that's kinda fun! Too bad it's so slow and I'm hooked on speed...
Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Brian,

I was hoping to see your videos of the high speed. I was running a consistant 1:50 but could not break thru that barrier.

I did see one spot I'd like to mention where your line was perfect - the right hander after the carousel - I was running that all wrong and after seeing your line I bet I can pick up a second or two!

I did have a camera on my runs but have not had a chance to look at them yet.

Thanks for putting yours up - you always represent CCI well.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Summerfest at MAM video

Quick Reply: Corvette Summerfest at MAM video