Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here owned/driven/built a Factory Five GTM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 AM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here owned/driven/built a Factory Five GTM?

I was looking into one and was wondering if you could give a little info about the car, like dislike etc.

How customizable is it?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question. I'd also like to know about this car. All I know is:
Mid engine
Porsche transaxle
Choice of engine (LS1, LS6, LS7)
There is much video on youtube.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can probably learn most everything you want to know here--

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
I was looking into one and was wondering if you could give a little info about the car, like dislike etc.

How customizable is it?

Thanks
I was also looking into them...

Go to http://ffcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Good forum with lots of honest information from the guys building them.

I think my build is going to go a different route. The Mongoose GTP is what I'm going to build. If I was concerned about getting 2 people comfortably into a car...the GTM is the route I'd go.

Since I plan on RACING the car, the GTP is:

1) Easier to build - the GTP chassis comes to you completed, doors and bodywork mounted. All that is needed is driveline, suspension and interior work, then paint. You pay a bit more for it, but you save hundreds and possibly thousands of hours getting it to the stage to drive it.

The GTM is a solid 2-3 YEAR build, working a few hours a day on it. Most *real* estimates are 3000-4000 hours...that would be 500 days @ 8 hrs/day solid.

2) The GTP is a wind-tunnel tested design. Lola worked on the body for thousands of hours to get it slick, yet have the right aero to make it stable. GTP's were clocked in excess of 250 mph on the Mulsanne straight...makes ME feel safer. The Mongoose people had their GTP > 200 MPH at Daytona during the OneLap...said there was plenty of pedal left and was as stable as a rock at those speeds. Original Lola designs pegged downforce @ speed of over 8000 lbs., which makes just about ANYTHING stick to the road...even a brick.

Go sign up on their forum and ask questions...I did when I started this. For a premium build, a GTM will run you ~ $100k. I've seen lows of $70k, but I have not really seen anyone get them done for the estimate that Factory Five says. You have $20k for the basic kit, and then another $15k-$20k for driveline, plus the untold hours of body work needed...body/paint in the $15k range, it all adds up quickly.

You'll find that MOST of the guys building the GTM are Corvette guys already...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted to build one for a track car, have to redo the cage it comes with and they would not supply spare body parts or frame sections if I damaged it so I passed on the deal. I almost built one for an ultimate street car but what could I really do with it besides look cool and play a little here and there.

So, I started building an ultimate Vette instead for track only but now just do not want to play at that level, I want to retire in a couple of years and have some money to enjoy it.

I have the ultimate C6/C6 body for sale, World Challenge C6Z for half of what it costs to buy one now

My C5 race car I started with is now a very long term project, we have a 53 Studebaker body to put on it, going to be a pretty nuts "street" car that will see plenty of track time but at 9.5ths so we can keep it for a very long time.

The GTP may be the better way to go compared to the GTM, easier and less costly would be to buy my WC body though

Rick
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I am now researching the car on their forum. The reason I liked the FF is that it can be built like a street car with some serious capabilities. I would love to get a C6Z06 World challenge car but it would make for a purely track car, I want one that can do well on both fronts plus I want the flexibility of making a RHD version of the car or a center wheel drive of the car since I plan on exporting it out of the US atleast the first one i get involved with.

BTW RAAMaudio, can you post some pictures and spec of your C6Z WC, also do you have a thread of it for sale?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
Thanks guys, I am now researching the car on their forum. The reason I liked the FF is that it can be built like a street car with some serious capabilities. I would love to get a C6Z06 World challenge car but it would make for a purely track car, I want one that can do well on both fronts plus I want the flexibility of making a RHD version of the car or a center wheel drive of the car since I plan on exporting it out of the US at least the first one i get involved with.

BTW RAAMaudio, can you post some pictures and spec of your C6Z WC, also do you have a thread of it for sale?

Thanks
The GTP was actually a RHD car originally...They even have the original dash to mold from.

Not sure how easy making a GTM into RHD will be...you'll be making a lot of custom parts for it. I'd definitely talk to those guys first before laying down any cash...

Good luck on the project!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m in the process of building one now. It’s my first build so it’s taken a while and of course I keep changing things. Don’t know of anyone that has converted to a RHD. There is some asymmetry in the chassis from side to side but it could be done with some work. There is one center steer car racing in the NASA endurance races on the west coast with success. Lots of frame mods on that car.

Here is a really cool video of JimO’s GTM at Road America,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cz3_lof8s8

Here’s a link to the NASA center steer racer

http://prototypedevelopmentgroup.com/

Everything you ever wanted to know about them can be found on the builders forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here owned/driven/built a Factory Five GTM?

Quick Reply: Anyone here owned/driven/built a Factory Five GTM?