Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on timing chain, check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
lyonsac4242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advice on timing chain, check engine light

So here's the situation-
Hard pull thru 1st gear, a little into 2nd. Check engine light comes on... Great, go to Autozone, code says "Crankshaft to camshaft error left bank A" or something to that effect. Dealer says, lets put stock program on computer to reset things and see if it comes back. (bought it used- 2005 Z51 C6 MN6) I guess the 1st owner must have had it tuned somewhere. Well, the message comes back on. They checked the sensors, connectors, and couldn't get the code to come back on again at the dealership. I picked up the car and it goes on and off. Finally, I go back and talk to the technician who basically states- he has never seen this code on a vette. He called GM and they said all this sensor does is make sure the cam and crankshaft are lined up perfect so it doesn't misfire for emissions reasons. His theory is that since I track the car, I may have just slightly stretched the timing belt. That tiny amount of stretch could be setting off that code. Also, I had my harmonic balancer come off at the track the 1st year I had the car. The 05s have a certain # of cars come with a harmonic balancer bolt that was too short from the factory. Long story short, what do you experienced racers/mechanics think? Should I ignore it? Stop tracking it for fear of the belt braking and reaking havoc? Should I look into getting a double roller timing belt? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Scott

Quick Reply: advice on timing chain, check engine light