Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brainered Nordstern PCA event PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Brainered Nordstern PCA event PICS

guy who crashed porsche slipped on some coolant on the drag strip portion and cracked some ribs also. he was walking around the pits still somehow sunday afternoon

I took top honors on saturday for fastest lap times on the saturday time trials. 1:50.xx lap time my friend got a 1:51 lap time.

(neither that great of times compared to others i have seen but it got us by saturday) It is the 1st time either of us has been to the track.

had a metal brake line get rubbed through on saturday but fix that up and got me running for rest of event.
took out front splitter by some fun 4 wheeling friday morning at the track

some pics of the front dually hub replacement that was fun

Last edited by dvandentop; 06-07-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 AM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Derek -

Glad you had a good time. Sorry I missed the event - I was scheduled to be there but had to go out of country on biz.

150 is a respectable time on the long track. You can get some big speed on the front straight and depending on the size of your cajones you can really fly through the banked turn 1.

Did the two cup cars in your photos run. The cow car is Rick Polks (whiteboard solutions) and the #89 with the red flames is Washburns (co-founder of shock doctor) They run low 140's.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

cow car did run but he went off track gt3 cup car didnt run since he had shredded a michelin slick, i am sure if both had run and made a lap both of us woulda been toast!!

yeah turn 1 deffinately does take some major ballz to go through fast, i felt more comfortable taking the carousel at road america @90mph then i did taking turn 2 at 120 that is for sure!

fun track for sure,only 5.5 hours with only stopping for gas so not too bad of a drive, will be back in the spring for sure
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool Derek

any video ?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

due to working on the car i never got any chance to rig up the camera. not much downtime unfortunately this event for me. a video system is on the list for the winter though.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice to see you get your feet wet at BIR. Most of the speed comes in turn 1 and 2 on the big track. Crush those corners and you'll run some great laps. As Atomic said, 1:50 first time is pretty quick. I was at BIR yesterday on the short course for an open lapping day. Only 30 cars total in three run groups so lots of track time.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics. Glad you had fun up at Brainerd. Turn 1 and 2 takes getting used to at speed but a lot of time can be made or broken there depending on how much you decide to push it.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

what do you c6 guys go through turn 1 at? i was doing 120 is all slowing down from 160 at end of the stright. 120-130 through turn 2 with a slight brake tap before entering it.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

My C4 can only get to 118 by turn 1...so I just go straight into 1 without breaking and stay smooth with the stock 147,XXX mile suspension floating and bouncing around lol. I come out at about 130 and break slightly for 2 and go through that at about 118.

The one time I had the C5 up there I had Pirelli's on the front and old goodyear slicks on the rear and 01 compound race pads and that was it. It was the new track but I would flat foot it until 2 and slightly tap the brakes. I would go through 2 at about 125. I could have flat footed 2 also but I just didn't have the courage/***** to do that yet.

I know most of the fast people up there are doing 150+ through 1 and I don't know for sure but I bet about 135+ through 2. I think John has done around 170+ through 1 and I bet he's done 150+ through 2.

Ron and Eric Carver what speeds do you usually do? How about when you had Gizmo Ron?

Once you get used to the track you can carry a ton of speed through 1 and 2.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

On street tires in my stock C6 Z06 I slow to about 130 turn 1 turn in and maybe 115 turn 2 turn in. R comps or slicks will make a huge difference. I can run in the 1:48s stock street tires with those turn 1 and turn 2 turn in speeds. (that's after about 15 years and 5000 miles lapping at that track )
Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice pictures and I'm glad you had a good time!!! Turn 1 and turn 2 is what separates the men from the boys. Yes I'm a boy

Randy
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

well now i have something to look forward to on a spring trip up there. should be a blast, randy call you in a bit
Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
well now i have something to look forward to on a spring trip up there. should be a blast, randy call you in a bit
This should keep you busy watching this winter!!! Two wide in turn 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wtSlRXO_c

Randy
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Fisch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn 1 long track at BIR in a C6Z on sticky rubber? Oh about 165 or so turn 2 130ish

It's a rush!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

hey geoff good to see ya post. damn that is flying. i will have to work up the cahonas to get some where up there in numbers next spring.

those vrl tires compared to the michelins sure were slippery
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Hopefully NASA comes back to BIR next year. You should come here then. Or run a day with the Suburban Corvette guys when they run the long track.

BIR is a very fast track once you get to know the track.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Hopefully NASA comes back to BIR next year. You should come here then. Or run a day with the Suburban Corvette guys when they run the long track.

BIR is a very fast track once you get to know the track.
Rumor has it, NASA and BIR are talking about doing it again next year

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Brainered Nordstern PCA event PICS

Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

We talked to a head NASA official over dinner near Autobahn and he said NASA usually gives a track a few tries for growth...so hopefully that means they will be back a time or two at least
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Fisch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek,

As others have posted you did pretty good for your 1st time with a low 1:50 on the VRL's. I did not like them at BIR because the stagger and rake is not correct, not to mention the lack of grip compaired to A6 R6 or Michelins. Stick those Michelins on there and you will not have any trouble going through 1 at 160 plus (if you're set up is good) - it just takes big *****, a race seat and a clean line.

You must have used up all the good in the Michelins already? How many sessions/cycles did you get out of them?

I wish I had known you were going up there last weekend. I might have driven up for one day just to hang out and BS. The Nord Stern folks are good bunch and run a top notch DE. I'm still hoping to get the green light to drive agian some day soon.

Geoff

Originally Posted by dvandentop
hey geoff good to see ya post. damn that is flying. i will have to work up the cahonas to get some where up there in numbers next spring.

those vrl tires compared to the michelins sure were slippery
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fisch
Derek,

As others have posted you did pretty good for your 1st time with a low 1:50 on the VRL's. I did not like them at BIR because the stagger and rake is not correct, not to mention the lack of grip compaired to A6 R6 or Michelins. Stick those Michelins on there and you will not have any trouble going through 1 at 160 plus (if you're set up is good) - it just takes big *****, a race seat and a clean line.

You must have used up all the good in the Michelins already? How many sessions/cycles did you get out of them?

I wish I had known you were going up there last weekend. I might have driven up for one day just to hang out and BS. The Nord Stern folks are good bunch and run a top notch DE. I'm still hoping to get the green light to drive agian some day soon.

Geoff

bad thing is during the time trials i was on the michelins shows how much i can step it up my friend was on r6 during time trials also, we are leaving alot of speed at the end of the stright we will pick it up next time. 1st time at a track is always a learning experience.

I did run the vrl from you and they were certainly a little squirrely when i was on the short track LOL. will burn em up though for the price couldnt go wrong with them.

michelins are still good i think i am up to about 10-12 hc on them.

still look good for tread wear.

hope your doing good

Quick Reply: Brainered Nordstern PCA event PICS