Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Air Dam

Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Air Dam

What is the purpose of the C6 front air dam?

Getting tired of grinding the thing off on speed bumps and on heavy corner loads at the track.

Seems like it gets deleted when you add a splitter like the Katech part, so I wonder why it is needed even in a stock configuration.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

creates pressure for the brake ducts, and supposedly decreases drag. I re-routed my brake ducts and took them off.

In theory, removing the pressure under the nose should add a bit of grip.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerodynamics Experts Please Respond.

I agree with David's comment about the air dam providing a positive static pressure in front of the air dam in an effort to improve the airflow into the brake ducts.

However, I think it also provides a negative static pressure behind the air dam which does two things. It provides some lift reduction (probably not a net down force), and it helps extract air from radiator stack and engine compartment.

So, is it really wise to remove the OEM air dam without replacing the functionality with a more forward mounted air dam that is perhaps integrated with a splitter?

I am sure that we have a few aero experts on the forum, please speak up.

Perhaps the Katech folks can speak up about their air dam / splitter product. Particularly interested in the impact on the static pressures past the undertray. Fairly sure a design like the Katech part does raise the pressure under the engine area (although still negative) so it would reduce engine cooling a little. Wondering if measurements had been made when they were in the wind tunnel? Also some comment on why they did not incorporate some type of undertray diffuser to help with engine cooling.

Note: The reference for my opinion is from Chapter 4 of Simon Beath's book Competition Car Aerodynamics

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 09-15-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added questions about undertray diffuser and Katech

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Air Dam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Air Dam